What's new

PCM DD+ DD True HD & DTS HD (1 Viewer)

Tailgunner Joe

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryan
I am sorry if this has already been posted. I have only seen something similar, but it did not answer my questions, so I will try here.

Pirates of Caribbean on BLue ray doesn't do the DD+ or DD True HD or DTS HD, it only has PCM. When I configure my player to be able to provide DD True HD for example, for other movies, it only allows Pirates to play in regular DD. But when I configure it to PCM, it displays "nulti channel" on my reciever. Is that what I am looking for it to do? What does that mean?

THanks in advance

bambam

Grip
Real Name
Ben
is your receiver capable of true hd/dts hd? what kind is it, what kind of dvd player do you have, how do you have it set up? Do you have separate cables for each channel, or do you use an optical cable? - or - do you rely on an hdmi cable? need some more info....... good luck!

bambam

Grip
Real Name
Ben
one more note... true hd sound will only be produced with a 7 channel surround sound set up I believe, or at least 7 channels being used (5 channels with bi-amped fronts)

Tailgunner Joe

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryan
I am using HDMI 1.3 and I have a samsung 5000 HD DVD/Bluray combo (with the updated drivers) and the Onkyo TX-SR605 with all 7.1 hooked up.

The movies with True HD and DTS HD Master all work perfectly. It is AMAZING, I just don't get the PCM stuff like on Pirates. I don't know what it's supposed to display/do or what it even means in comparison to the other formats I mentioned.

Thanks for your help

bambam

Grip
Real Name
Ben
ok I think I have it figured out... this website wont allow me to post links, so google "pirates of the caribbean" and find the ping for the actual blu-ray website. its somethings like w w w. blu-ray. com/ movies/ movies. php? id=59

Tailgunner Joe

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks, so when it says PCM 5.1 like a lot of Disney films do, it is basically just a touch better than regular DVD 5.1, or am I missing the point of what it is supposed to be?

I love my receiver! I haven't up graded my speakers yet, but I am running some old ESS fronts, a Polk center, and some panasonic rears. Not ideal, but I'm getting there ;)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Wow!! So much wrong about this thread. :eek:

The best audio you can get from Blu-ray is PCM. You get PCM from a PCM track, or by decoding TrueHD/DTS-HD-MA. The number of channels depends on the film, not the codec, and both 5.1 and 7.1 will play on a 5.1 system

Tailgunner Joe

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks Jeff,
But now I am still confused as to my first post. With PCM, my reciever (with my player set to the same settings that allow for a Dolby True HD signal) displays only two options; multi channel or source. Is this what is should be?

Help me understand PCm a little better. I understand it is lossless sound, 5.1, etc, but what SHOULD be displayed on my receiver and why when playing PCM 5.1 movies?

Thanks a ton!

troy evans

Screenwriter
Bryan, are you using HDMI? Does your player bitstream the new codecs to the receiver? If the Blu-ray player internally decodes the PCM and True HD tracks, then, yes you should read "multi channel" on the receivers display.

Tailgunner Joe

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryan

I'm using HDMI, and I think the player bitsreams the new codecs, but I am not sure exactly what that means.

The DVD player has three options to set audio:

PCM
Bitstream (re-encode)
Bitsream (audiophile)

I have it on "Bitstream audiophile"

Should it be different considering the Onkyo I have?

Tailgunner Joe

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryan

Cool, that's where I have it. and according to what you said before, the correct display is "multichannel" on the receiver, correct?

troy evans

Screenwriter
Yes. Here's something to try for peace of mind. Play a blu-ray with PCM 5.1 or 7.1. Then using the onkyo remote hit the display button. First it'll say multi channel and every time you hit display it will go through info in the current audio format playing. One will say PCM 5.1 or 7.1 depending on the source. Then, you'll have proof you're playing the PCM track and not just regular DD 5.1. Try it. When you play True HD and DTS HD Master you see that on the display. With PCM it just comes up multi channel, but, rest assured you're getting what you want in that mode in that mode.

bambam

Grip
Real Name
Ben
haha... apparently I have some studying to do!
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks