PC speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jacob_St, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

Good Morning! I'm in the market for a good pair of 2.1 PC speakers for under $200 and am thinking of getting the Monsoon M1000's. Is there a better choice that anyone can recommend? My computer sound card is crap, but I want to get a good pair of speakers for when I upgrade to a new system. My old BOSE Media Mates broke on me and I don't want to pay the outrageous repair cost that BOSE wants to charge me.

2. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Klipsch ProMedia? 4.1 system is $299 and 2.1 system is at $179 I think. Check http://www.klipsch.com - you can find reviews there too.
    ------------------
    /Kimmo

3. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator

For $200 you have tons of options [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Steve,
    DVD Collection

4. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I second those bad boys. Do a search in Pricescan and u'l probably get a better price than $299 though.

5. Kyma_King

Kyma_King Auditioning

Super Cheap, Super Good, Highly Rated 2.1 Speakers...Labtec 424..rated high by everyone PC Magazine, Maximum PC and a host of others. I even have a pair and they're great, second only to the Klipsch's on my desk at work. Oh and did I mention they're only 50 bucks !

6. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

the labtec 424's are nice, but you can certainly do better (I actually picked up a few pairs of these a week ago for free after rebate - my parents love them). The Klipsch Promedia 2.1's are nice, but not worth $180. I had a pair and returned them - they just didn't sound right to my ears, certianly not for the price. If I had to recommend the best pair of 2.1's I've ever heard < $200, I'd say go with the Midiland / Diamond Audio S2-4100's . They originally retailed for $599 when they were first released a few years ago. They are by far the most musical sounding "multimedia" speaker you will find < $300.
    ------------------
    My DVD collection

7. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

Thanks for the suggestions. I considered the Klipsch's but then read some reviews that they have good highs and lows but no mid range. Is that true? The Midiland's seem like a bargain if they are on sale for $300 off, so maybe those are my best bet.

8. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Jacob,
    compared to something like the midilands, the klipsch have no midrange [​IMG] The only "issue" with the midiland 4100's is that if you have the volume 3/4 of the way up or more (I usually listen at 1/2 - 3/5, which is loud) and no sound playing, you can hear a slight hiss from 6" or so. of course, with the fans most people have in their cases these days it's not noticible, but if you are in a dead silent environment then it may be distracting. I don't consider this a problem at all (as I always have music on [​IMG] ) , but I felt I should mention it in case you might.
    -Matt
    ------------------
    My DVD collection