What's new

PC speakers (1 Viewer)

Jacob_St

Second Unit
Good Morning! I'm in the market for a good pair of 2.1 PC speakers for under $200 and am thinking of getting the Monsoon M1000's. Is there a better choice that anyone can recommend? My computer sound card is crap, but I want to get a good pair of speakers for when I upgrade to a new system. My old BOSE Media Mates broke on me and I don't want to pay the outrageous repair cost that BOSE wants to charge me.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I second those bad boys. Do a search in Pricescan and u'l probably get a better price than $299 though.

Kyma_King

Auditioning
Super Cheap, Super Good, Highly Rated 2.1 Speakers...Labtec 424..rated high by everyone PC Magazine, Maximum PC and a host of others. I even have a pair and they're great, second only to the Klipsch's on my desk at work. Oh and did I mention they're only 50 bucks !

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
the labtec 424's are nice, but you can certainly do better (I actually picked up a few pairs of these a week ago for free after rebate - my parents love them). The Klipsch Promedia 2.1's are nice, but not worth $180. I had a pair and returned them - they just didn't sound right to my ears, certianly not for the price. If I had to recommend the best pair of 2.1's I've ever heard < $200, I'd say go with the Midiland / Diamond Audio S2-4100's . They originally retailed for $599 when they were first released a few years ago. They are by far the most musical sounding "multimedia" speaker you will find < $300.
------------------
My DVD collection

Jacob_St

Second Unit
Thanks for the suggestions. I considered the Klipsch's but then read some reviews that they have good highs and lows but no mid range. Is that true? The Midiland's seem like a bargain if they are on sale for $300 off, so maybe those are my best bet.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Jacob,
compared to something like the midilands, the klipsch have no midrange :) The only "issue" with the midiland 4100's is that if you have the volume 3/4 of the way up or more (I usually listen at 1/2 - 3/5, which is loud) and no sound playing, you can hear a slight hiss from 6" or so. of course, with the fans most people have in their cases these days it's not noticible, but if you are in a dead silent environment then it may be distracting. I don't consider this a problem at all (as I always have music on :) ) , but I felt I should mention it in case you might.
-Matt
------------------
My DVD collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks