What's new

PC multimedia connectivity (1 Viewer)

BorisH

Auditioning
I will build a new PC soon I am looking for suitable solution for good multimedia connectivity.
My TV is wide-screen CRT (not HD) and supports RGB (through SCART), S-Video and composite inputs.
I need gfx card capable of good quality 16:9 RGB output in the ideal case. If this feature is not available on mainstream GFX card, then maybe a separate PCI
extension card like tuner of whatever is a good solution? Or something like multimedia box, that has network connection with the PC?
Opinions? Experience? Other options?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Most modern graphics cards can do pretty much any output resolution and refresh you want manually.

BorisH

Auditioning

What about quality? Which TV out chip should I look for? Should I choose ATI or NVIDIA card? What about RGB support? Are you sure that they all support 16:9 natively without squeezing the picture?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Both have some excellent cards out right now, I believe ATI released some new cards that are excellent with video/film stuff, Nvidia had been the go-to card for a while.

Yes they should all support pretty much any resolution you want. Desktop may be distorted, but video should be fine if you use a proper player.

I use an HTPC as my main source using an Nvidia card in 16:9 output (1440x720p72hz) driving a CRT in 16:9.

You'll want to get a video card with a VGA output if you need analog RGB. A lot now have both VGA and DVI output, some only have DVI. You'll want to check the outputs to make sure you're getting what you need.

BorisH

Auditioning

But all VGA output cards I have seen have only composite video out. How can I make RGB out of it? I remember seeing an article how to solder some elements on NVIDIA card to make is support RGB. Is that the only way?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
What? Pretty much every video card on the planet has VGA output, except as mentioned some of the newest who have DVI output (often in addition to VGA output). It is actually extremely rare to have component video output, I am not aware of many or any regular video cards with component video output. They are all VGA out.

BorisH

Auditioning

I believe I used the word composite, not component. I mean the cards have a single video out called composite video. This is not compatible with RGB in any way.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry, you're correct I misread that. REgardless you wouldn't want to use composite output (or s-video which many cards have). Again, I don't understand why you're even concerned about that, video cards have VGA output. That's RGB, so why are the other outputs even a concern? You have your RGB, so use it.

BorisH

Auditioning

Oh, sorry, now I understand what you mean by VGA. The analog output to the PC monitor right?

This is RGB, but what cable do I need? Maybe some converter between VGA and SCART? And how long the cable can be? Because now I use S-Video cable 15 meter long.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I'm not familair with SCART connectors, but I would assume there are adaptors for that. There are certainly break-out cables for VGA that go to 5xBNC for more common professional display connectors that use BNC. That's what I do in my system a short VGA->5xBNC breakout cable, then a full run of BNC coax to the RGBhv input on my display.

BorisH

Auditioning

Ok, so you must be adjusting your video card display resolution manually with software like powerstrip right? I think there is a danger of damaging your TV if you don't know what you are doing very well. Like me :)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Powerstrip isn't really necessary anymore, most of the newer drivers allow you to select resolutions and everything manually (just like what powerstrip allowed you to do). Yes, presumably you could damae your display I suppose, my display is a multiscan professional CRT display, so not a risk for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks