What's new

PC and Videogame Wrapup for 3/23 to 3/29 (1 Viewer)

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Anyone have success at Circuit City or Target trying to do the following deal?

GameCube (non-Platinum) for $129.99

w/ Free Game:

(Mario Party 4, Resident Evil Zero, Metroid Prime, or Star Fox)

is the game free in-store at Circuit City? The weekly ad for CC on the internet says it's a mail in rebate deal?

Thanks for any help - would like to pick up a GC today....

Oh, and one more question:

Are prices on the www.ebgames.com the same price as they are in store, at Electronics Botique?

They have a Platinum GameCube bundle that isn't bad ($149.99 w/ Free Game) and a couple gameCube games I wouldn't mind having failrly cheap also...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Jason, thanks for the $5-off coupon for Target on Zelda: Wind Waker.

We had preordered at Wal-Mart...just happened to be there when they put out the display with the demo discs, so we took a chance on them. Bad idea. It was a big hassle to get the $10 down payment recognized. They claimed I was supposed to get a "slip" along with my receipt, but when I did the down payment in Feb. the guy ASSURED me that all I needed was the receipt, and that no part of the form I filled out was mine to hold on to.

After much confusion, and no way to sort it out because the proper mgt. had all gone home (at 4:30 on a Wednesday?), they finally took my suggestion to do a refund on the $10 down payment, and then I turned around and paid for a copy of the game in its entirety...at $49.99

Now I get to go back and show them the $5-off Target coupon and get a refund for the difference! :D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Got a question for everyone who's a GameCuber:

Zelda WW is taking up the last of the memory card (56) that the missus has. We went to Best Buy and were gonna use the 10% printable coupon to get a new one.

There was the Nintendo official 251 card for $19.95, and a Nyko (or is it Nykos?...I forget) card for $19.99 that held 4 times that amount (or - as it advertised on the box - 17x the amount of the 56 card).

Back when I managed a Software Etc. store, we recommended Nyko(s) pretty freely, and never really had problems with it. No complaints that I ever recalled.

Now in Best Buy carrying both the Nyko(s) and NOA brand cards, the blue-shirt actually went out of his way to stop me, ask me if I needed help, then try to convince me not to buy the Nyko(s) card. "Too many problems" he said.

After careful, probing questions, I determined that HE had a problem with a PS1 memory card from Nyko(s) a long time ago, that failed after about 2 weeks. Actual customer complaints about that GameCube card he didn't seem to be aware of, though there were complaints about the PS2 version of it.

So, what do you guys think of the Nyko(s) brand card with the 17x storage capacity (64MB if I recall correctly)? Sounds like its stupid not to buy it for the same cost, and I know very well that all memory chips are pretty much the same. OTOH, Nyko(s) could have slipped in the 6 years since I worked retail, esp. in the quality inspection dept.

Any feedback would be appreciated! I will make a choice by mid-Saturday in order to get the 10% off...unless you know of a place to get either of these cheaper than $17.96 plus tax (the price including the discount coupon).

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I've been using 2 of those Nyko 17X cards for a few months and have had no problems, no lost data. If you buy one, I'd get a gamer's gift card and use the $5-off-$20 coupon on the back, making it $14.99.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I was bit by a few non-Sony PS1 memory cards going bad on me a few years ago, and ever since then I've always stuck with the official brand memory cards, just to play it safe. A few bucks is worth more to me than redoing the potentially days worth of gameplay if a card were to go bad.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
I've heard too many horror stories to ever consider buying a third-party memory card, so the only experience that I have is with first-party cards from Sony, Sega, and Nintendo, and I've never had a lick of trouble from any of them, going back five-plus years.

I've had the Nintendo 251 card for several months now, have got around eleven games saved on it (including the new Zelda), and still have around 160 blocks left. I don't plan on having to get another one for probably another two years (at least).

Yeah, the other card might seem like a better deal for the money, but that won't mean a hill of beans to you if all the stuff you've worked hours for is just wiped out one day.

Unless you plan on playing some sports games (which usually are notorious memory hogs), you should be fine for quite a while with the Nintendo 251 (and no, I'm not saying this on Best Buy's account, Dave--I don't work there anymore). :D

Drew Dockery

Stunt Coordinator
Dave, regardless of which one you buy, 10% off is crap! Buy a "gaming" giftcard fp]or however much you wish, open it up, and use the $5 off $19.95 coupon instead!

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Don't buy a third party memory card for the gamecube. I myself lost a years worth of saves when I bought an Interact 16x, and it crapped out on me. It's not worth the hassle. There are games I've never gone back to finish (Gauntlet, specifically) because I didn't have the desire to play the first 90% over again.

Buy the 251. I have one, it's worked wonderfully. I have 20+ games, and I am not lacking for space. I even have an Animal Crossing town on the card.

Rob TT

Stunt Coordinator
I also had problems with one of those 1,000 block gamecube cards. It would even read it. Took it back and got a 251

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks