What's new

PBS/TLC/History Channel shows that need DVD releases (1 Viewer)

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
It seems that one area that hasn't caught on to the idea of TV on DVD is the educational channels. There are tons of great series that haven't made it to DVD. Those that do are often released piecemeal, and the ones that get season sets are often outrageously priced (Mythbusters, I'm looking at you!) And many of these shows aren't offered through regular retailers, so you can't even get a competitive price.

Here are the shows I think need a DVD release most desperately

Connections - A James Burke series that demonstrates that history isn't a simple linear narrative, but a complex web of chance events, and if some Roman hadn't stubbed his toe two thousand years ago, we wouldn't have plastics today. The sequel series, which are no where near as good as the original, are on DVD for $100+.

The Day the Universe Changed - Another James Burke series, similar to Connections but focusing on scientific revolutions.

The Human Animal - Based on Desmond Morris' book The Naked Ape. Morris examines human behavior not from the point of view of an anthropologist or sociologist, but as a zoologist viewing humans as just another species of ape. The episode on mating habits is twenty times more interesting than HBO's Real Sex series.

The Wonderful World of Dung - Not a series, but a one-off documentary on excrement. It simply has to be seen to be believed.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
I'd love to have "Notorious Lady," about George Sand and Chopin, an extremely well-done miniseries on PBS back in the 70s.

derek

Second Unit
PBS: The animated 'Liberty's Kids.' Can't think of many TV shows I'd rather watch with the kids. Positives all around.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Definitely An American Family- TV's first reality series. For something current, I want to see a set for PBS' History Detectives!

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
Eyes on the Prize.

Has that been released on DVD? I know the copyright issues have been holding it up, but now it's replaying on PBS so I was hoping to see it on DVD.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'll second the call for Eyes on the Prize. I know it was hung up by copyright concerns, but I hope it is resolved soon. It will be a crime if this show is lost to history. One of the most important documents of the 20th century ever made.

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator

And it's only Connections 2 and Connections 3. I've looked for Connections but haven't found any listing for it being available. So yea, I want them too and the only place is DVDPacific at $93.11, MSRP $149.99.

I agree about the expensiveness (is that a word?) of factual series/ documentaries. Either that or they were released on VHS and the likelihood of them being re-released on DVD is very low. I enjoy Bob Brier's specials on TLC and Discovery. Only one has been released on VHS. Although... Discovery.com Store is having a sale on it's "classic" (their definition) one-disc DVD's for $9.95. I may pick up a couple.

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego - The gameshow version (of the computer game of the same name) that aired on PBS. I loved this show as a kid and wished I had taped it so I could see it again. I'm not sure how many years it was on and because it was a gameshow Season Sets may be hard to do but I would gladly take any DVD release of any kind.

JoePassmore

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know which channel produced this, but Wonders of the Universe was my favourite educational show. Not sure if I'd ever buy it on DVD, but I'd sure as hell love to see it again.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I see that PBS.org has Eyes on the Prize for sale on DVD, for $375! It's listed under the teachers section.

What are the chances we can see a regular retail release of this historic program?

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
One PBS show that I would love to see on DVD is Powerhouse. I loved that show when I was a kid. Does anyone else remember it?

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator
PBS’s The Great War and the Shaping of the 20th Century.

Another WWI documentary is The Great War from the BBC.
I don’t know if it ever ran on History but I am pretty sure that it never ran on History Television in Canada. While it’s on DVD in Region 2 this series should also have a North American R1 release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks