Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Chip E, Apr 8, 2003.
Ed...when comparing the b4+ and 2- pb2's, I wanna say that TomV has had more than 2500 watts on it...and I know it was ready for more
Tom just told me under $1500, he never said how much under $1500. I wouldn't be surprised to see it come in around $1300-$1350. Don't hold them or me to this. I'm just basing the estimate on CS Ultra and amp package prices. For all I know it could come in at $1499.
true Ed just fun thinking about the highest end...I did think about duo pb2's, but the B4+ will suit my room just fine. it'll blend in a bit better..ya know how the wife gets
Tom or Ron,
Anything new on pre orders yet? I can't wait to hook one of the bad boys up.
We are just finalizing a couple of *minor* issues....stuff like recessing the amp flush with the enclosure. No show stoppers, but a small list of things that we want to take care of now to make the product as close to perfect as possible before we start taking any pre orders for it. We are also insuring the enclosure will have the potential for some *versitility*.
Thanks for the update Tom. I take it then that you're still two or three weeks away from setting up a pre order list? I appreciate that you guys don't rush new products out the door until they're perfect. Whenever they're ready, I will be too.
Hmmmm.. First thing that came to mind was... maybe the ability to upgrade the drivers to TV-12's ?
a little more bench racing.. with one port plugged on a PB2+, do you think it would still be as loud as a 20-39PC+ ? If not, i wonder by how much.. What would you think. In fact, if TV or Ron is around, please, chime in
We're really just waiting a final production date for the enclosures. We're pushing hard on that while those loose ends are tied up (just ask our supplier how many times we've called in the last two weeks ;^). Once we get that we'll at least put the pre-order date and price up on the News page. It's not going to be a huge pre-order period. We know there's alot of interest in this sub but in the $1,500 price class there are only so many buyers.
And those that know what this sub is bringing to the table know it's going to be worth the wait. 8^)
Really good reply ED. Thanks. I don't want to trade extension for sheer spl's either. I don't have quite the in depth knowlage of you and others of subwoofers. I basically know how to calibrate one with my spl meter and not much more (FR's,graphs,etc..). One curious thing to me is the idea of setting the ss filter to 20hz with all ports open ? What happens there ? How does changing the filter setting without plugging a port affect a sub ? Obviously you don't have the sub but, is there a general idea going on here ?
BTW, i've been running an SV 20-39PC w/original driver for the last two years...tuned to 18hz. This is in a really small room.. 10'6" X 11'2" I'm digging half my basement out an additional 2' and will end up with a finished room of 20'5" X 14'5" with an average ceiling height of 7'4" (split at the power Lam beam- 7' one side, 7'6" the other half). I had to undermine my block foundation completely and poured solid concrete walls down 2' X 20" wide.... Quite the job but, i keep plugg'n along
The use of equalization in the box enclosure clearly represents a departure from SVS' design philosophy with the cylinder subs, and is a necessary concession to the packaging and space constraints of the box type enclosure.
The enclosure size would simply exceed what SVS was envisioning for the PB2+ without some mild EQ assistance for the lower states of tune. Witness the size of the much larger and passive B4+, which is tuned to 25 Hz with no EQ and with all ports open.
So the tune switch on the PB2+ provides double duty - it alters the SS filter setting, and it also activates a specific EQ curve for each setting. So a PB2+ with all three ports open and the SS/EQ switch set to 20 Hz (or even 16 Hz), might see an increase in low end extension even without plugging a port (or two). Tom V would be best to answer that question in detail.
Remember, plugging a port is also necessary to keep the drivers properly loaded and prevent bottoming in the lower states of tune. I'm sure experimenting with and mismatching SS/EQ settings and port plugs will be great fun and perfectly safe at moderate playback levels, and might even result in a really nice looking "custom" in-room FR. But if you will be pushing to Reference Level, it would be wise to follow conventional guidelines and plug a port for the 20 Hz state of tune to help protect the drivers.
While EQ admittedly does use some power that would otherwise be available for a linear SPL increase, I am quite certain the EQ curve is pretty mild for each lower state of tune, and with nearly 900 watts of continuous power available from the new Indigo BASH amp, I don't think amp power will be a problem for the PB2+!
If you are still soldiering on with an original driver 20-39PC, I think you will be in for a literally staggering performance increase with the PB2+ in ANY state of tune. Some quick math indicates the PB2+ in a 20 Hz state of tune will outgun your original driver 20-39PC by a solid 12 dB at any frequency above 20 Hz. Since a 10 dB increase is generally (this doesn't hold completely true at the lowest frequencies) perceived as doubling the volume, a PB2+ will quite likely and literally sound twice as loud in your room as your current 20-39PC.
I don't even know what to say at this point except WOW! (talk about bench racing, lol..)
I just sold my Servo 15 after 3 years of good bass. I currently have a Von Schweikert S/3 tuned to 20hz with a A/b 900 watt amp.I purchased one of the original 20-39cs and drove it with a channel of a Parasound 2003a. I eventually sold it and replaced it with the VSA sub. I hope the PB2+ astonds me. After long discussions with Tom I'm sure it will. I have a 7500+ cubic ft. room so it will take moving lots of air to get close to reference. The PB2+ from what I understand will be like 2-3 Servos, couple that with the VSA sub and I think I will get close. I researched this for almost 2 months talking to all the custom sub makers. The Tumult driver looks promising but I have seen no real world numbers or reviews on a finished sub with this driver.The B4 was tempting but I think the PB2+ will do the job. Now the excruciating wait!
the jump from pb1 to pb2+ is too much, i think. does svs have something in between?
There is a pb+ in the works but it isn't expected until sometime toward the end of summer/fall.
Too much? Na... Shit my 20-39PC has probably less impact than a PB1 and i'm going for the PB2+.. There is only one SV box sub right now.. the PB1. The PB2+ will be available soon. Personally, i can wait but it's tough when the upgrade bug's in full tilt
There's two box subs (oops) forgot the B4 !