What's new

PB2 in Da House! (1 Viewer)

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I'm sorry I have not gotten any pictures up. It being summer and me being a tennis teaching professional I am right in the middle of tennis camp. I am the Head pro so with 30 or 40 kids and several pros to supervise my days are shot. Its an 8:00 to 8:00 deal. I did have 30 minutes at lunch to play the Pod Race at -8db's on my MC-8 calibrated to 75db's using the Lex's internal tones. My listening position is 15 feet from the sub in a 8000 cubic foot room. I was hitting peaks at 108 db's
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
I thought this pretty outstanding. I promise I will try to get pics up.
Steve

Tim Schwartz

Agent
Thanks for the info Steve. Seriously, does anyone besides Steve Morgan have one yet? If so, where are their first impressions and pictures?

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Parker:

I think it's time for a Home Theater Forum/AVS member meet in kansas City. A AVS member has a cool HT that he designed with a metal/factory/horror theme (I'm Listening is his member name at AVS). I think he has a 156" screen. I have Academy Screener of Two Towers...we add a local ISF/Audio Tech (Andy Baker) as a speaker and I think we have a good reason to get together.

What do you think? Or, after the sub arrives (I'am in the middle of finishing phase 2 of my HT). I'd be happy to host an event at my house.

HTer's from KC?

Ron

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I managed to get my PB-2+ for Father's Day! It came in on Saturday but the shipping company didn't pick it up until after 5:00PM so they told me I could come down on Sunday morning to pick it up. It took some time to find it as they still hadn't unloaded it from the trailer but we managed.

I was able to drive down and slide this beast onto our lower deck so I was actually able to unload the thing myself.

After I got it in the house my wife went to take a nap and I began unpacking it, rearranging our room a little and recalibrating the system. I'm using it with one of the ports blocked for the 20 Hz tuning. For all of the demo's I never had it above -10 and usually closer to -15.

First up was the depth charge scene from U-571. WOW! This thing hits HARD! Scared the s**t out of our dog. She had no idea what was going on but she was looking at the sub with fear.

The next DVD I tried was the sock scene from Monsters Inc. H-o-l-y S-*-*-t! It pressurized the whole room (which is 6,000+ CF and open to other areas)! My ears popped as if I were in an airplane! I could hear the walls of our house strain!

The next demo I tried was the ice ring scene from Titan A.E. I felt as if I were in the ship. Whenever they bumped into ice or hit the propulsion, my whole body was shaking in rythm with what was happening on the screen.

Finally, I played the pod race scene from TPM. Again, all I can say is WOW! With this sub, the scequence is taken to a whole new level.

By this time my wife was up and running around upstairs to make sure nothing was falling off the walls or shelves. She thought it was an earthquake at first. She spent the next hour walking around the house shaking like Ozzy Osbourne.

She'd definitely had enough by this time so I never had a chance to test out LOTR. I also haven't had a chance to try it out with music yet but I'm positive it will be amazing. This sub is sooo tight.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Awesome first impressions, Alex! I was wondering about the possible loss of impact with a port plugged, and your subjective impressions seem to definitely lay that issue to rest; it's not a concern at all, even in a very large HT room. That is most excellent news. :)

Congrats on the new beast, glad you are loving it! When you have the time, please post more impressions. :D

Regards,

Ed

Chip E

Screenwriter
Ok, i'm drooling again. Alex that's exactly how i want to run my PB2+ when i get it (1 port plugged). 6000 cubic feet? Lol, i guess it should do ok in my 2500 cubic foot HT room in the basement huh.. I finished roughing in the electric yesterday and have a dedicated 20 amp circuit just for the sub (or subs ;) I thought ahead a little and put outlets in the left rear corner & right front corner (1 circuit for both). :D

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Ed,

Since yours shipped today it won't be long till you can do some of that instrumented testing I know you have been itching to do. Sorry for the delay. PB2-Plus enclosures are still proving to be more tricky to produce than our supplier bargained for.

Suffice it to say each is getting LOTS of special treatment at each step of the production process to ensure perfection.

Ron

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Since yours shipped today it won't be long till you can do some of that instrumented testing I know you have been itching to do. Sorry for the delay.
That's great news, Ron. Waiting for a new sub to ship is akin to waiting for water to boil - it just won't happen if you sit and stare at the e-mail. :b

It's just better off to keep things in perspective and stay focused on family, friends, work, and other hobbies - when it comes, it comes.

Certainly no apology is needed - you guys are tops in my book; I'd rather have a perfect enclosure than one rushed out the door, and I'm certain all the other early adopters feel the same way. Great job, Ron/Tom and the whole SVS crew. :emoji_thumbsup:

Regards,

Ed

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
For someone who inquired in yesterday's post (which got deleted)....

I ordered my PB2 on June 4th. Received a ETA today from Erik at SVS for another 2-3 weeks, which converts to a 4-5 week delivery window.

Ron

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Yep, my "initial impressions" post got sent to data heaven also. A quick re-cap:

1) Shipping was very fast - under 24 hours door to door.

2) Packing materials were excellent - very well engineered and protective of the sub.

3) The sub was in perfect condition upon unpacking.

4) A quick calibration and we ripped off a few bass heavy DVDs. Wow! The PB2-Plus is up front and in your face; there is nothing subtle about it - it's the REAL DEAL.:emoji_thumbsup:

In the stock tune with all three ports open it is far more powerful than my still outstanding 20-39PC+. We were hitting 115-117 dB bass peaks (about 120 dB unweighted) and I was fearing for the structural integrity of the house - everything was rattling - and the PB2-Plus was loafing. Very clean, deep, and hard hitting.

On the SW-AOTC ship explosion on the "return to Coruscant", the PB2-Plus actually knocked a small deer skull mount right off the wall at the BACK of the HT room about 18 feet away.

5) I'm working on a full blown test and DVD/music review and I will post it under a separate thread shortly.

Regards,

Ed

Chip E

Screenwriter
Ed,

What's the room size again ? Just trying to get a feel for how much my one neighbor is going hate me when i get mine... Lol..

Seems like i'll pass over all the initial preorder madness since i'm not likly to finish my basement for about another 30 days.. Looks like it'll work out well for me.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
What's the room size again ? Just trying to get a feel for how much my one neighbor is going hate me when i get mine... Lol..
About 12x18x8 with an attached short hallway and a few adjacent rooms. I'd say 2,000 ft3 is a good bet.

In a room the size of my HT, the PB2-Plus seems to have unlimited headroom. I have pushed it to uncomfortably loud playback levels and it simply refuses to give up the ghost. I just hit 118 dB C-Weighted on the Pod Race, which is about 122-123 dB unweighted.

I have also completed all the FR sweeps and this thing has astounding in-room extension in some of the lower tuning configurations. While you might give up a few dB in max output, in a moderate sized room at sane playback levels you will never miss it and the improvement in extension is worth it.

Even in the stock tune, the PB2-Plus has flat in-room extension to about 22 Hz. You won't believe how deep this thing can dig in the lower states of tune. I'll tease that little tidbit for another day or so. :b

Regards,

Ed

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
I just got my PB2+ today (had some issues with scheduling a drop off time with BAX last week) and listened to a few DVD's. This is all I have to say about it:
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Since someone has already taken pictures, I won't provide any until I have time to finish my HT web site.

I hope Phil doesn't mind that I've taken something from his signature and put it in mine. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks