What's new

PB2 in Da House! (1 Viewer)

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
Wow is this a Monster and I thought the Servo 15a was big. So far have only had it up and running an hour but it is definetly doing the job in my 7500 x3 room.
Tom, you were right this is one heavy mother. It took two to get it in the house. The packing job was great and it arrived in pristine condition. SVS hit another home run with the PB2! The best bass I have ever had in this room and I have had a Servo 15a and a 20-39cs running at the same time. Thanks guys. I'll write more when I have more time.
Cheers,
Steve:emoji_thumbsup:

Chris Carroll

Auditioning
Same Here... my baby finally made it home! Sadly, I won't have time to hook it up and play until tomorrow night. I'll post impressions later! Thanks SVS!

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Guys I just had on Terminator 2 and the bass put a crack in my window at -6 db's below reference! My Lord this mother hits hard. Where I have the sub there is a small window about 2 feet from the PB2. I wasn't even thinking about it doing that. More to come.
Steve

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Steve,

Thanks for the update, you are the first user to report from the field. We're sorry about the window, I'm sure it was just weak glass.

Or something wholly unrelated to the 115dBs you were probably hitting. Please, with power comes great responsibility. ;^)

Or something like that.

PS Don't forget to put on some of your favorite music at semi-sane levels too OK? We worked hard to make sure the PB2-Plus wasn't a one-trick pony. If that thing doesn't bring a tear to your eye with Yo-Yo Ma (or whatever "sensitive guy", critical music listening you might enjoy if any 8^) then we're gonna insist you send that sub back!

An SVS that isn't "musical" (misleading as that term often is) simply is not allowed to leave the R/D drawing boards, much less make it to market.

Ron

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Ron, what's more musical, the 25-31 PC+ or the 20-39 PC+? I'm sure they both rock, for both home theater and music. I'm just wondering if between those two, one of them stands out either way?

Thanks!

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Ron, the caulk or sealant around the panes were loose.I siliconed a month ago to stop the rattles but I wasn't expecting bass like this. Oh, well off to by a pane of glass and liquid nails.
Steve

NateF

Stunt Coordinator
*laugh* Cracked a window huh? I'm sure SVS couldn't have had a better endorsement if they tried! :) I'm getting upgrade crazy for an SVS sub myself, and you guys aren't making it any easier! :)

I gotta say though, it's the personalized approach to customer service that the SVS guys take that really makes me want to buy their products.

I hope I'll be able to gather the money necessary sometime in the not too far future, as I can only imagine what I've been missing (I'm currently running a sub-less HT, though with large front speakers, so I'm not totally missing bass, but it's no where near 20Hz).

-Nate

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
I tell ya though Nate, as soon as you add a sub to your HT you'll flip over backwards. It's like night and day, no matter how much base your mains can produce. Hearing your foundation shake, walls rattle, and apparently-windows cracking makes movies take on a whole new meaning!

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Please, with power comes great responsibility.
Ya got it all wrong, Ron. "Absolute power corrupts absolutely", is the one you were looking for. ;)

Now that Steve is beyond salvation, he can throw caution to the wind and give us house damage reports at full Reference Level. :b

Ed

Chip E

Screenwriter
Steve, that's crazy funny! That thing could probably spilt atoms, lol.. Nuclear man.. heh heh

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
OK broken glass IS cool ;^).

Just as long as you guys understand we really DON'T just look for SPL monsters at SVS. "Musical" has got to be the world's most misunderstood concept so in-house we simply stress that a sub has GOT to maintain accuracy to the source. Be that source CD stereo cello, or a DVD driven "sock detonation" from the state of the art in low frequency effects in animation.

And naturally the PB2 is meant to do this at extreme SPLs, even in mid to large sized rooms.

Both Tom and I go thru lighbulbs in and around our HT's at a VERY rapid clip (the filaments just don't seem to like intense bass no matter how low in distortion it is) but I do hope folks with PB2s can manage a few sessions with their most revealing music. They'll quickly realize that
"fast" (the only concept in bass more mis-represented than "musical" bass) ... and "musical bass" (I said it again!) is absolutely not mutually exclusive from POWERFUL bass.

It's a little known fact that most of SVS was into subwoofer design due to a love of music early on. HT created the buyer's market of great surround equipment, but all of our staff cut their teeth in eihter home or auto music reproduction.

Mike_T, that's just a bit of background on your fair question.

More specifically, if someone told me they ONLY wanted a sub for popular music (vice say, classical Bach pipe organ pieces which have some VERY low content) then I'd probably tend to recommend the 25-31PC type sub. Other factors nearly always come into play though since a 20-39 will be just as "musical" (we really do hate that term, can we just say "ACCURATE"??) but will sacrifice some 30Hz and up capacity (but pick up some response down low, where popular music is very rarely heard).

So what factors? Like room size. The smaller SVS will belt out more bass above 30hz as stated, so again, if you have a large room AND you favor pop music, you have another reason to go "small" with SVS. Cost is another reason you might want the smaller SVS, and the smaller visual size is easier on the WAF for some homes.

If you (like most) actually pump a variety of music AND movies then the recommendation would go back to a 20-39PC sub. There is just so much very very low content in more and more movies that I'd hate that someone to say "but Stimpson said the 25-31 PC type subs were more musical!" and give up some a bit of really thrilling stuff on movies.

In the end though we're talking shades of gray here as you move from sub to sub size, not day/night differences.

In short? It's no secret that the 20-39PC type subs are the most popular precisely because they are a near-perfect blend of very very deep response tuning for movies, while still having tremendous output capacity for room rattling SPLs on pop music.

If you are ONLY hooked on the relatively light demands of pop music, get a 25-31, especially if you like to run your music LOUD.

Ron

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info Ron..I'm sure I'll give an SVS a try very soon. I have a Paradigm ps-1000 right now. No problem with Home Theater, it's capable of doing great things. However, sometimes with music, it's woefully slow. It's definately a home theater sub period.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Steve...grab that lotr extended edition, and trying playing that near reference...you think you were blown away by T2...be prepared for busted windows...forget the cracks...!! I can't get to reference without feeling as though something is going to give...housewise..and I have a new stick built house..very solid/sits on a carpeted concrete floor on lower level)...I do use the SVS B4+..but still..if you are cracking windows with T2...give lotr a try...ya might want to test it at 18-20 BELOW ref or so first...(i'm 3 hot calibrated at 75 db with the rat shack meter)...has anyone cranked this thing to reference with duals/Pb2 or simular? muhahaha...man I love SVS!!!!!! If your in doubt about these statements...or on the boarder with ordering...give one a try...forget the shipping back cost...cuz You'll keep it!:) tl

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks