What's new

PB10-ISD is Shipping!! (1 Viewer)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Congrats MikeCocc. Tomorrow will be the big day then!

>>>Also, does anyone have any advice on placing the PB10 in the back corner of a room? Do you think this would jeopardize performance?

MikeCocc

Agent
Thanks Steve, I'm looking forward to finally getting my hands on an SVS.

I picked up Finding Nemo on my way home tonight ( for my kids :D ) and was actually quite surprised at how well the "Darla Knocking" scene sounding on my soon to be replaced JBL E250P. Not too shabby. It will be interesting to compare it to the SVS.

Now I need to hope that I beat the UPS guy home from work ....

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I picked up Finding Nemo on my way home tonight ( for my kids ) and was actually quite surprised at how well the "Darla Knocking" scene sounding on my soon to be replaced JBL E250P. Not too shabby. It will be interesting to compare it to the SVS.
__________________________________________________ ______

Your going to find many scenes on that disk that sound great with your new sub MikeCocc. Your most likely calibrating as I post?

As a little teaser I thought I would do a sweep to show the extension of the PB10-ISD in my room. The numbers posted have correction applied except for the Master and Commander scene.
__________________________________________________ _______

15Hz---68
16Hz---74
17Hz---80
18Hz---87
19Hz---85
20Hz---84
21Hz---85
25Hz---84
30Hz---85

Very nice extension wouldn't you say?

Master and Commander, Time stamp 11:04 cannon scene
-15 listening level 100db
-20-----------------95db

Side note> The PB12-Ultra/2 came in at 105 and 110 at -10 and -5. So the PB10-ISD is coming in right where it would be expected. With it corner loaded behind seating it exhibits all the feel (well mostly) that the PB12-Ultra/2 exhibits over in leaky corner one.

Paul`S

Auditioning
10/13 order for me shipped on the 11/8 shows Delivery on 11/15. Can't wait -- my new DLP shows up the 17th so my setup will be nearly complete..

Paul`S

Auditioning
Very Large vaulted L shaped 30'x25' at its largest with many openings -- should be interesting to place- no real corners anywhere of use -- but I will make time....

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Woe!---Thats one big room. I have a 3rd location that I have used in the past that might be of interest to you? What I did was place the sub along a long wall up against the end of a buffet. As far as the sub was concerned it was in a corner and did very well. WAF wasn't all that kind though:frowning: Maybe you have a piece of furniture that can double in this manner.

I am assuming it is the PB10-ISD you have coming your way Paul?

Paul`S

Auditioning
Steve nn -

Yes it is the PB-10ISD - I had originally been shopping the HSUs and they were suggesting placing their sub directly behind the couch as a start but your idea against some other artificial corner may be a better suggestion. I know it will take some experimentation.

Paul

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
If you get a chance? Shoot me a PM or go ahead and post your outcome in this Thread, unless you plan on doing a separate Thread in regards. Your room being what it is, clearly presents quite a challenge to be sure and it will be very interesting to see what you come up with.

MikeCocc

Agent
OK, my PB10 arrived yesterday. I cut out of work at 2:00pm and went home to eagerly await Santa. Oops, I mean the UPS man. :D

He didn't show until 5:15pm :frowning: . I had to leave to go out for the evening at right about the same time so I was a little bummed that I did not get to play with my new toy.

Of course before leaving I had to open the box and set-up the sub. I popped in my "Finding Nemo" DVD and tested the SVS without any calibration ( Just like everyone else does :D ). So far so good. It sounded pretty damn impressive.

I should get everything calibrated by the end of the weekend and will post more info at that time.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I didn't notice a huge chang after calibraiton, it just sets the sub at the correct SPL. It won't be that more impresive than you just heard (Unless you had the gain way down), it's still superb though.

MikeCocc

Agent
I didn't notice a huge chang after calibraiton, it just sets the sub at the correct SPL. It won't be that more impresive than you just heard (Unless you had the gain way down), it's still superb though.

My quick test went like this:

Opened box. Ripped plastic off and took sub out. Unplugged other sub and plugged SVS in right where it stood ( In the middle of the room ). Went to the Darla scene and with the volume pretty low on my receiver played it. Turned it up a little and played the scene again. Did this two more times and was very happy with the results. I guess what I'm saying is I didn't push the sub. However, this weekend, I will. :D :D :D

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
yeah, uh, what zipcode do you live in again, i gotta be sure i'm not near that loc. when youre doing that.

thanks,
ELmO:star:

david*mt

Second Unit
Mike, did you find the SVS to be much of an improvement over your JBL E250P? I can't decide whether to get the JBL now or save up a little more money and buy the SVS.

MikeCocc

Agent
David,

I have not played around with it enough yet to say for sure. Only played that one scene about 5 times.

The E250P is not that bad of a sub. I think its definitely not enough for the room I'm in, about 2700 cu. ft. with a large opening to the rest of the house. Granted, I do not play music or listen to movies at reference levels so I don't really need anything bigger than the PB10 ( I hope ). The JBL really just didn't give me that punch I was looking for. I tried to corner load it but it made it sound even more boomy than I already thought it was.

I'm planning on doing some hearing comparisons after I get the PB10 completely setup and I will post here later this weekend to let you know how it went. Of course you need to realize that whatever I say is going to be tainted toward the PB10 since I just purchased it... :D .

Knowing that I will try to keep it in mind when comparing.

Mike

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I can't decide whether to get the JBL now or save up a little more money and buy the SVS.
__________________________________________________ _____

I'm also one for saving a few $$dollars here and there David, but the performance of the PB10-ISD will far surpass the JBL you speak of. Imo the performance the E250P provides will not offset the savings over the SVS respectfully. No way! Take a good look at the extension the PB10-ISD provides as opposed to the JBL. There's 6-8Hz difference (conservatively) which translates out to a whole new dimension to your bass world. 20 pounds difference in weight which is 1/3 more.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I have 2 SVS, one I bought for my parents (25-31 PCI) and one for me (16-46), it's so damn worth it.

Paul`S

Auditioning
UPS just delivered my PB10-ISD at home and I can't go play with it for 6 hours still ....

Depressed at Work
:frowning:

MikeCocc

Agent
UPS just delivered my PB10-ISD at home and I can't go play with it for 6 hours still ....

I got mine on Thursday and still haven't set it up completely. I was going to spend Sunday afternoon setting up and calibrating it, but when the time came I couldn't find the manual to my receiver... Arrrgh!!!!

I found it after I put my kids to bed last night so I know exactly what I'm going to do tonight when I get home....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks