What's new

PB-10 initial impressions (1 Viewer)

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I don't know if I'm way off with this line of thought, so maybe you guys can help me out......

I've recently become quite fond of the Maggie MMGs, and probably will end up going with the 1.6s over an upgrade to the Paradigm Signatures. With the Maggies, I am constantly hearing how it's difficult to integrate a sub because traditional drivers are not fast enough to blend with the Maggies. Would a 10" driver such as in the PB10-ISD be "faster" than the 12" drivers, thus possibly adding to the blending ability of the sub with the Maggies? Or is that not much of a factor?

I'm going to be in a 'medium' sized room for the next year or two, so I can't really take advantage of the larger SVSs that I'll eventually go back to (can you say, "SVS for life?"), so maybe a PB10 would be a good interim solution......any thoughts?

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

BTW: Frank, you ARE insane :D
__________________________________________________ ________

Yes...why?... :crazy:

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic" :emoji_thumbsup: :star:

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
Another thumbs up for the GR Research/SVS combo (those are AV2s in your HT, right John?). AV2 + PB-12+/2 rock, sing and don't cost an arm and leg while doing that. =)

Keir H

Second Unit
Mark thanks for the great explanations about bass audibility. I have been reading these post and trying out some of the scenes myself to see if my sub (or room) is able to give some of the same very low frequency attributes others have with their subs while playing those clips. What should i look for to know if its handling the scenes right as whats dipicted by the sound engineer? For instances U571, I can hear the depth charges and though quite loud, I think all the other sounds (sub gear clanking, guys yelling ect) is masking what I am trying to look for and its confusing. Is it bass that slams you in the chest after each detonation or is it the pant leg flapping ype bass or just a low freq rumble? Does it mean for me to have this experience i have to play back at Dolby ref for every test scene to get a accurate picture of my sub and what it could handle? My sub is a SVS 22-31, amp 250 plate. Room is an open floor plan 16x12 oblong shape.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
With that sub, in that size room, you should have nothing to worry about. Pants flapping is it for me. I haven't found many home setups that actually do chest thumping; a few, but it's rare.

I didn't have much time last night to experiment, but I did pop in Metal Gear Solid 3 and the bass was very nice indeed.

:emoji_thumbsup: Yep. A/V-1s out back too, with the Sonicaps upgrade all around. Bang for the buck, GR Research is very tough to beat.

BTW, if anyone's interested I know of a very good deal on a pair of A/V-2s with sonicap upgrade, with stands for a very good price (not mine).

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

Would a 10" driver such as in the PB10-ISD be "faster" than the 12" drivers, thus possibly adding to the blending ability of the sub with the Maggies? Or is that not much of a factor?
__________________________________________________ ________

There is no such a thing as "fast" or "slow" bass drivers. PERIOD. There may be fat bass, bloated bass, thin bass (lower midrange or perhaps upper bass...the type of "fast" bass so much beloved by the "high-end" audio lunatic fringe; it usually does not better than 60 Hz...if that :rolleyes:)...and even bass that sounds like fat-boys' farts...but NOT fast or slow bass...

An accurately engineered subbass system can be made to easily blend with large planar type speakers, such as the Maggies, so long as you do your part (for example, performing careful settings of levels between the two transducing systems, etc., is of paramount importance).

Now, am willing to wager two bits that the 'lil tyke SVS sub will perfectly blend with your planar speakers, :cool: so don't be afraid to get one...or two...or... :D

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks