What's new

PayPal users: Anyone else have some unusual activity the past couple days? (1 Viewer)

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I sure did...

I had $0.00 balance in my PayPal account (linked to my checking account)

And somebody or a company called "Inverse Logic" successfully withdrew $137.28 from my checking account, over 3 transactions ($51.28, $48.00, $38.00)

I did a Google search for "Inverse Logic" and I came up with this:

http://www.inverse-logic.com/

Oddly enough, a couple days ago, I started receiving emails from this company about the web site templates that I had ordered...well...I'm currently deployed overseas (US Air Force) and I certainly did not order any templates from this company whatsoever. I asked my wife about these starnge emails, thinking maybe she had ordered some for her job and she didn't know anyhting about this either. I then deleted the emails - thinking they were just junk emails...

I logged onto my bank account web site and noticed the 3 charges today (all transfers to PayPal).

I then logged into my paypal account it made me change my password and verified my account settings (MC #).

On my paypal account, it shows a bunch of activity....and has my balance at $0.00

-------------------------------------------------------

Temporary Hold Placed By PayPal -38.00 Jul 1, 2003

Refund From Inverse Logic 38.00 Jul 1, 2003

Temporary Hold Placed By PayPal -48.00 Jul 1, 2003

Refund From Inverse Logic 48.00 Jul 1, 2003

Payment To Inverse Logic -38.00 Jun 29, 2003

Transfer From Bank Account 38.00 Jun 29, 2003

Payment To Inverse Logic -48.00 Jun 29, 2003

Transfer From Bank Account 48.00 Jun 29, 2003

Payment To Inverse Logic -53.00 Jun 29, 2003

Transfer From Bank Account 51.28 Jun 29, 2003

I'm not quite sure what's going on - never had any problems with PayPal before whatsoever. Any suggestions on what I should do? Or does it look like (from the above transactions on my paypal account) that everything is under control?

But - in order for things to be under control and back to normal, I'm going to need 3 credits to my checking account ($51.28, $48.00, $38.00)= $137.28

:frowning:

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Looks like it's just you, man. My account is fine.

I suggest you change your bank account number immediately and place a fraud alert on your account. Talk to your bank about the unauthorized withdrawls as well as Paypal.

I would advise anyone with a Paypal account NOT to link it to their primary checking account. I opened up a second account specifically for Paypal use. I keep no money in it, only using it as an intermediate stop between Paypal and other online transactions and my real checking account.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Thanks for the suggestions fellas!

I'm working on getting things settled with Paypal right now - and once veryhting is taken care of, I will be closing my account with paypal for good!

I almsot closed it before I left - and now I wish I would have really done it:frowning:

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I've had sporadic problems with PayPal since I started doing business there. I've done many PayPal transactions on my account without any problems, and yet for other transactions, I'm frozen from being able to pay unless I repeatedly autogenerate a member number on my financial statement (as opposed to the one-time activation). I think that ultimately, Ryan's idea is very wise.

~j

DavidAM

Second Unit
I got an email last week saying it was Paypal and to click a link to go update my account info. It looked very much like a normal Paypal email and the link to the site looked identical to the real Paypal site, but it didn't start with https, only http. When you go the real Paypal site you'll notice it start with https being a secure site. Anyway, I'm just bringing this up....if you got this email and logged in, you probably gave away your name and password. It looked real, but I noticed the site wasn't secure. Could this have happened to you?

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
DavidAM

No, I never respond or click on anything in the emails that come from "paypal".

I have received the emails you are talking about before though - and I had previous knowledge that most 9if not all!) of those were from scammers.

Looks like Money Orders will be my payment method on any future transactions I make via the internet.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Paypal is very convenient and most people don't have problems. Yes, there are horror stories, but you have to realize with millions of people using the service every day, there are bound to be problems.

This is why I opened up a second checking account. I leave no money in the account, only using it as a middle man. I get the convenience of Paypal along with protection. If something goes wrong, I'm only out the money of whatever transaction I was engaged in at the time.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Ryan,

That is a good idea...and it's one I'm considering doing here now. I need to check and see if my bank will allow me to have two checking accounts. If they don't, I'll find another bank and open an account there for PayPal purposes only.

Thanks for the suggestion.

As far as getting my $$ back from this ordeal - I called the compnay who made the charges and they are now in the process of refunding the $$ back to me...I should have it within 3-5 days.

Thanks for everybodys help with this ordeal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks