What's new

Paul Thomas Anderson's "The Master" (2012) (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
This needed a thread.
Color me friggin' ravenous for this film. There's so much about Scientology that simply bursts with dramatic potential, and it's about time someone tackled it head-on on a wide scale, and let the fuckers wheel their lawyers out. I hope PTA is the guy who does it.
Emily Watson has seen the first 30 minutes of The Master -- she says the film will be "incredible":
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com/2011/12/emily-watson-has-seen-first-30-minutes.html
Unfortunately PTA's regular DP, the brilliant Robert Elswit, did not lens this movie, which is currently in post-production. His new DP is Mihai Malaimare Jr., who shot Youth Without Youth and Tetro for Coppola. And they've shot some or most of the film with the same 65mm cameras Kubrick used on 2001: A Space Odyssey.
In a world being overrun with digital photography and iMoviemagic, that is some incredibly exciting news to me. I'm not a snob. I like plenty of digital movies, but the idea of P.T. Anderson carrying that particular torch is something to cherish as a fan of film.
Finally, Jonny Greenwood has been confirmed as doing the score:
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com/2011/12/jonny-greenwood-returning-to-score.html
Psyched that Greenwood is back.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Since there might be a new PTA movie every 4 or 5 years, a new one is always a reason to celebrate. Easily the movie that I'm most looking forward to this year.
As for film vs. digital, how many movies are still shot on film? I know Spielberg and Tarantino still exclusively use it but I'd imagine that there's very few movies still using it now (if only due to budget reasons).

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Now that you mention it, it looks like Inherent Vice starring Robert Downey Jr. is going to be PTA's next film:
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/12/08/robert-downey-jr-says-paul-thomas-anderson-collaboration-is-probably-true/
This book is unbelievably amazing, and RDJ is perfect for Sportello. Pynchon is historically averse to having his books movie-ized, but Pynchon not only gave PTA his blessing, they also consulted while Anderson was scripting it. This was after The Master collapsed the first time, and PTA was looking for another film to direct.
That's a pretty amazing and bizarre idea -- not only has Anderson met Pynchon several times now, but he also knows where he lives.
First batch of BTS pics from The Master:
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com/2011/12/backstage-photos-from-master-emerge.html
Looking stellar.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Paul Thomas Anderson is one of the best directors working in Hollywood these days, and I have absolute faith in what he's doing. Too bad that Robert Elswit isn't shooting The Master, but hopefully it's just a scheduling conflict and he'll be shooting Inherent Vice. A PTA movie without Elswit really isn't the same.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
New trailer-clip:
[VIDEO]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oZDKFoCqAw[/VIDEO]
...Oh, yes. I'm so excited for this, it's not even funny.
The Weinsteins are screening footage of this (along with Django Unchained and David O. Russell's new flick) at Cannes tomorrow.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Hope they actually give this a run in 70mm. The fact that PTA is reviving Super Panavision 70 for this should yield an absolutely beautiful image.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Trailer #2 just dropped:
[VIDEO]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpFzJXQMgCE[/VIDEO]
...As if Mr. Anderson needs the benefit of the doubt at this point. It's a lock.
Based on the two teasers, this looks like it's going to be one of the most intense movies in years. Joaquin Phoenix looks like he's turning in a terrifying performance; a character always at the brink of boiling over with rage. Can't wait for this. It's been far too long since there's been a new PTA film.
(Also: L. Ron Hubbard actually pronounced it "nuk-u-lar"?)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This looks like it might be interesting. Has anyone ever read the unauthorized biography of L. Ron Hubbard that is (or was) available on the net? L. Ron Hubbard really was a piece of work if that book is accurate.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Release date moved up from October 12 to September 14. WOO!
Talk about waking up to a nice surprise.
And I love this recent quote from Harvey Weinstein:
Asked if there were still a chance The Master could make its debut at the Toronto International Film Festival, which kicks off on September 5, Weinstein said it depends on whether Anderson could prepare a 70-millimeter print in time. "He’s a filmmaker, not a video filmmaker, and I really hope that doesn’t get lost in the controversy either. He’s really trying to preserve a lost art."
While I LOVE innovation, and am a gear/tech-head at heart (Best Buy is apparently a second home of mine, according to my wife), I have no problem admitting digital does not look as "good" as film yet. 35mm (and certainly 70mm) still has a warm richness and texture that is superior to digital's ghost-like imperfections (it still looks like shit when the camera moves).
And I'm glad guys like Anderson and Tarantino and Spielberg (unfortunately, Scorsese is a recent casualty) are still able to preserve the heritage of film. Let's face it, the only reason Hollywood productions are shooting digital now is because it's cheaper than film. But you only save maybe half a million bucks in the budget, and considering how wasteful the studios are (read Robert Rodriguez's Rebel Without A Crew for more insight), it's pretty amusing that they're being so tight-assed about $500K.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Reports are out on a surprise sneak of The Master a couple of evenings ago. For your reading pleasure:

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2012/08/the_master_snea.php

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2012/08/bobfilm_on_mast.php

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/paul-thomas-anderson-secretly-premieres-the-master-in-santa-monica-first-reactions-are-wildly-positive-20120804

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2012/08/adams_power.php

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/early-review-paul-thomas-andersons-the-master-is-visually-dazzling-enigmatic-certain-to-polarize-gorgeous-in-70mm

Sounds awesome. Joaquin Phoenix & Amy Adams are being singled out as early Oscar favorites. I'm just now more frustrated than ever that despite being the 4th largest city on the country Houston has NO venues capable of exhibiting 70mm film.

Real Name
dcrghujuikhjd
Since there might be a new PTA movie every 4 or 5 years, a new one is always a reason to celebrate. Easily the movie that I'm most looking forward to this year.

Real Name
dcrghujuikhjd
While I LOVE innovation, and am a gear/tech-head at heart (Best Buy is apparently a second home of mine, Tiffany & Co Jewelry
Tiffany & Co Outlet
Tiffany Bangles
Tiffany & Co Necklaces
according to my wife), I have no problem admitting digital does not look as "good" as film yet. 35mm (and certainly 70mm) still has a warm richness and texture that is superior to digital's ghost-like imperfections (it still looks like shit when the camera moves).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
This film and Resident Evil: Retribution both open in Chicago this weekend, giving me the choice between seeing a brand-new Paul W.S. Anderson movie or a brand-new Paul Thomas Anderson movie.
The choice is easy- residant eEvil 4eva!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Living in the suburbs, I don't know if it'll even play at a chain near me but it's opening at the local independent theater next weekend so I'll get to see it soon.

Panavision70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick Notch
New York Post writer questions the use of 70mm for "The Master."
"...it’s surprising that “The Master’’ — an intimate drama that takes place mostly indoors — was shot in 70mm. There’s only one extended outdoor sequence, and director Paul Thomas Anderson doesn’t even use the full width of the format, which usually provides images about 2 1/2 times wider than they are high.
"The format does provide a sharper image than that of 35mm film — but so do films shot and presented on rapidly improving digital video. I’ve been watching films shot and/or shown on 70mm for decades, and I can’t see much, if any, difference between them and the best digital formats. I doubt one viewer in 1,000 could tell them apart."
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/movies/the_master_goes_back_to_the_gimmick_hPlMANaQS533dYrbZJawmK#ixzz26Rt2jgaK

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
This week I've seen Lawrence of Arabia in 4k DCP (from 70mm) and just came from The Master in 70mm at The Dome in Hollywood.
I thought the 4k HANDS DOWN looked better, and so did my DP friend who was with me at both screenings.
I also agree with the reporter who questions the need for this to have been filmed in 70. I thought it was exciting and great news until I saw the film.
Maybe I'm just colored by how disappointing I found the film itself though. PTA is my favorite filmmaker, and I had a feeling that this one wasn't going to hit me, and I was sad that my instinct proved right. Admittedly I really can't stand Phoenix - he gives a strong performance, I just don't like watching him do it. Hoffman is great, there are a few fantastic scenes and some great images and shots.
But it feels like PTA is getting interested in esoteric character studies (going further into territory he began exploring in PunchDrunk and Blood).
Magnolia is my favorite film of all time, and it seems like in leaving behind plots and storylines he's lost me too.
The analogy I made to my friend is that it's like your favorite band has started to evolve in a direction you don't enjoy. They're still your favorite but it's hard when you want to love the new album but you just don't feel it.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I hated MAGNOLIA and felt it was one of the worst films of the decade. BOOGIE NIGHTS and THERE WILL BE BLOOD were films that I really enjoyed but I wouldn't call either of them "great."
THE MASTER, on the other hand, is a pure masterpiece and I was really shocked at how much I enjoyed it. The first ten-minutes had me feeling a bit uneasy because I wasn't sure where the film was going to go but to me it's not a "message" film on whether Scientology is good or bad. I think the film was one of the best and most haunting character studies in many years. Phoenix is wonderful here as always. He's never gotten the credit that he fully deserves and I hope his "stunts" a few years ago don't cost him from at least a nomination. Hoffman is also terrific but this too is to be expected. I also thought the visual look of the film was quite impressive as was the score. I thought the 137-minute running time flew by and I really hope there's a longer cut sitting around somewhere.
It's been such a weak and rather bad year at the movies that I'm sure this will eventually get several noms.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks