What's new

Paul Lynde Halloween Special is due in October (1 Viewer)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
From an announcement of upcoming releases that I received from S'more Entertainment:

"On October 2, we’ll be releasing the amazingly bizarre, iconic and entertaining “Paul Lynde Halloween Special” as a single DVD at $14.99! Not only is the resplendent Lynde in fine form in this October 1976 TV special, he’s joined by Margaret Hamilton (who dons the entire costume from The Wizard of Oz” for the only time since the original 1939 release, including the green make-up). She is joined by Witchie Poo (Billie Hayes) from “H.R. Pufnstuf” playing her ‘sister’, Tom Conway, Donnie and Marie Osmond, Billy Barty, Roz “Pinkie Tuscadero” Kelly”, Betty White, Florence Henderson and as musical guests…….KISS, in their first TV appearance! KISS performs 3 songs and the footage of them on stage ‘talking’ with Lynde is priceless."

Glad to see that S'more secured the rights for the music performances!

Note: Though there is an actor by the name of Tom Conway, it's Tim Conway who appeared in the show.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yuh know....

I would buy this DVD in a heartbeat.

I have always been a fan of Paul Lynde since watching
him as a kid on The Hollywood Squares. I love
these time-capsule looks at celebrities of a certain era.

The Margaret Hamilton appearance seems like a great bonus!

Jeff#

Screenwriter
This could be the biggest DVD release of a TV special since Raquel from 1970 with Raquel Welch and her guests Bob Hope, John Wayne, and Tom Jones.

I should have bought this one when I had the chance. A store here in San Diego had it for $11.99, and they're out of business now! :rolleyes

There's no way I'm buying a Paul Lynde DVD though.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I must have this one. There's still a lot of Krofft I've got to pick up. Man, I'm glad this weird stuff gets on DVD.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I have seen this and it is worth the pick up and it is an odd one. The Wizard of Oz Witchiepoo crossover is worth the price alone but some of the other stuff is quite interesting. I hope that S'more is looking into other Paul Lynde works.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I remember watching this when I was a kid and it has stayed with me all these years. Doesn't KISS sing "Beth"? And IIRC doesn't Paul Lynde say something to them about liking their makeup and one of the members says "what makeup?" Strange, those are the only two things that I remember about the show. Never thought it would reach dvd though.

moogaboo

Agent
Real Name
John H.
Does anyone know if this was actually released on October 2nd? Every on-line store has it listed as either back-ordered or discontinued.

Page

Stunt Coordinator

Mine shipped from Deep Discount last week (haven't received it yet) and there were several copies at some Best Buys in Southern California, so it's out there.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I actually remember seeing this as a kid. It was right before I became a fan of KISS - might've been the first time I actually saw them...

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator

I got my copy from Amazon a couple of days after it had been relesed (the 4th or the 5th). I finally sat down to watch it last night. The picture quality isn't the greatest (but pretty much on par with other DVDs of 1970s videotape programs). An absolutely bizarre program--especially the skit where Paul "marries" Pinky Tuscadero. I'd never have imagined the day where KISS shared the screen with Paul Lynde, Witchie Poo, the Wicked Witch of the West, and a disco dancin' Florence Henderson. The KISS "performance" is pretty great--considering that they're lip-synching through the entire thing. And Gene Simmons does have the best line: "We're not wearing make-up!"

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
It is a fun disc and inexpensive. I am a Paul Lynde fan and he is always fun. The extra's are also fun. Hearing Peter Marshall is fun, I wish there was a best of Hollywood - Storybook Squares coming out on DVD. Now bring on the "Twas the Night Before Christmas Paul Lynde Special"!!!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
This release was so enjoyable that I did my first DVD review in 5 years on it...and the only one I plan to do anytime soon. Good disc!

I expect stores will start to stock it with other Halloween-themed discs in the next few days, and then after the holiday it will probably be gone again. If you want to be sure to fine it, head to Amazon or other online sources.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
David,

What a really good review. Thank You.

My copy is on its way. It's so odd that I'm anticipating
watching this, but when you get right down to it, it's a
piece of television history.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Great review David!

I've had this at the top of my Netflix queue since before it came out, yet it has been in "Very Long Wait" status the whole time.

I think I am going to have to buy it.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
My God, I'm outing myself as a nerd of the highest order, but this *wasn't* actually the first time that Margaret Hamilton donned the witch costume since OZ. On an episode of Sesame Street that aired in February of 1976, the Wicked Witch of the West visited Sesame Street and wreaked havoc. There were so many complaints to PBS that the witch was too scary for young children that the episode was never rerun.

Oh, and I remember watching the Paul Lynde special as a kid just to see KISS. Sid and Marty Krofft are directly responsible for warping the minds of an entire generation. God bless them!

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I just purchased this today and watched it and have to say it is the strangest, but most fun, Halloween special I've ever seen! What an odd assortment of guest stars, particularly KISS.

I also thought with the witch sisters thing going on between Witchie Poo and Margaret Hamilton, and with all the popping in and out, that Elizabeth Montgomery should've been on there...though I believe at this time she was no longer friends with Paul.

moogaboo

Agent
Real Name
John H.
I ordered it from DDD, but they later informed me of an impossibly long backorder -- I, too, want to see this before Halloween. So I cancelled my order with them and Amazon is already shipping me a copy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks