What's new

Passenger Air Bag Question-or- How Much Does Your Significant Other Weigh? (1 Viewer)

Robbie R

Stunt Coordinator
My wife is 105lbs and she activates the passenger airbag in both our cars.
(Ford F-150 & Ford Escape) IIRC the owners manual says anything over 75lbs will activate the air bag.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> if you routinely carry items, groceries, bricks, etc in the front seat, if the items weigh more than 75lbs than the airbag can be triggered in a frontal collision

75 lbs (other than a person or large dog) is a lot of "stuff" to be on your passenger seat. I doubt that 75 lbs of groceries would even fit there- that is a LOT of stuff.

120 lbs seems awfully high to be the cutoff point for a person's weight.

I'd suggest planning your collisions to be head-on or from the rear.

Marianne

Supporting Actor

I was going to suggest that his wife should sit in the seat holding something heavy, adding weight until the light comes on. Then he can tell if there is a certain weight that triggers the light or if there is a defect.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Geez, I lay my laptop in the front seat and the "Airbag is On" light fires up (Highlander). An IBM Stinkpad, so maybe it is over 120lbs :laugh:

Know anyone else with a similar vehicle to compare notes ?

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Better late than never...

I just got a recall notice regarding this. I guess someone got injured or killed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks