What's new

Park City, Utah. A good place to live? (1 Viewer)

Brent_H

Second Unit
My sister's husband has an opportunity to be in management at the Miner's Club resort in Park City, Utah. They currently live in Orange County, CA and I really don't want them to move. It would be a substantial pay increase.

I'm planning on moving to OC when I graduate in May and wanted to live with them for the summer while I find a job and get settled. Well, that's gonna be tough if they move to Utah.

Anyways, what can y'all tell me about Park City? I know skiing there is amazing, of course. I just want to get some other perspectives I can share with them from people who have lived there or know someone who does...or just visited.

The main street and the mountains in the picture I saw reminds me of "Everwood." :)

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
A great place to live if you love the outdoors. Skiing, hiking, biking are outstanding. I've been there three times and loved it. That said, I'm used to city living and I think if I moved there eventually I would become bored with the Park City lifestyle.

Brent_H

Second Unit
Well they would only be going to make money. He'll be working all the time. She'll be a stay at home mom. Not outdoorsy.

haha

Brian D H

Second Unit
It should look like Everwood, I think that's near where the show is filmed. I live near Evergreen, Colorado which is where Everwood is meant to be set, but it's not filmed anywhere near here.

These mountain areas are beautiful and although they may not be outdoorsey yet, they will probably get into a little hiking - it's really hard not to when you live near those kind of views.

Possible Pro: I'll bet it's a cheaper place to live than OC - so their pay-raise may go even further. (Note: I said "may" - I don't really know.)

Possible Con: Snow. Lots of Snow. Winter will last from November through the end of April. They even get the occasional snow fall in September and late May. Of course, on the plus side it will be sunny for much of that winter.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Park City is about 7000' ASL, and a lot cooler than lower places like Salt Lake City. It's definitely got some nice things to do for the outdoors crowd and certainly it has a lot to offer even non-outdoors people like traffic in the summer. :) Just joking...

Coming from say a sea level climate, it might take a little bit to get used to but it's no Leadville, CO

It is home to the Sundance Film Festival and of course, the olympic stuff is there...

Jay

Brent_H

Second Unit
well, the winter won't be a problem. they only lived in Minnesota one year prior and we all were born and raised in MN. winter lasts from October-May some years... :)

Peter Burtch

Stunt Coordinator
If they're planning on buying/owning a home in Park City, because it's a ski resort town, won't be nearly as cheap in comparison to Salt Lake City, which is 40 minutes away. The bump up in pay might be further enhanced if they plan on renting and not owning, although property taxes will likely be less in Utah than in the OC from what I've heard (horror stories). I really like the free city buses which shuttle you around the area, and between resorts in some cases.

You will most definitely enjoy the snow more in Park City than MN, even from the middle of the parking lot of the Park City Mountain Resort, because the area's so darn picturesque ;).

-P

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
We have some good family friends who live there - hes retired Army teaching school now. They really really enjoy it there - they don't live downtown or on any of the resorts, but they are about 10 min away from Park City resort. The town is somewhat schizoid, since there are all the normal medium-sized town grocery stores/ etc but then downtown there are a bunch of trendy eateries and shops.

The skiing is great, so if your family has any inclination to try and learn, its a great spot. I know that they give the residents significant discounts on not only season passes but also weekend and one-day passes. Really beautiful country up there.

And you're not far at all from SLC, which is a Delta hub so there are lots of flights from there to all over. SLC is a pretty cool town unless you are into wild partying (there are some bars/clubs, but its not a typical "liquid-center" type town) very clean and really nicely done. Its not too far from Vegas either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks