What's new

Parenthood - Season 2 thread (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I loves me some "Parenthood", but if it's between "Parenthood" and Chuck Todd giving me a district by district breakdown of the latest election returns, Chuck Todd's going to win every time.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by mattCR

I don't think the first part of that is true, Matt. There's no legal requirement for them to do so. The networks do it because they think it's in their best interests. Network news operations still consider themselves the preeminent broadcast news deliverers in the US.

Will they submit it as part of their FCC filings to maintain their broadcast licenses? Sure. If the networks even have to do that. I know individual stations need to do that. They need to show the FCC they are serving their market/community/audience's best interests. Public Service/news programming is the usual measure of that requirement.

But I don't think there's anything anyone can do if a network decided NOT to provide election night coverage.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh. I almost forgot to offer up what I thought was the most interest part of tonight's episode.

When Hattie told her community service supervisor to "dock my pay" after he gave her a hard time about "being on time tomorrow"...she made a face of self-satisfaction that reminded me exactly of her TV mom, Kristina (Monica Potter). I am always amazed at the casting of this show and it sometimes seems to me as if there is actually coaching to get the young actors to emulate some of their fictional parents' portrayers' characteristics.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

I don't think the first part of that is true, Matt. There's no legal requirement for them to do so. The networks do it because they think it's in their best interests. Network news operations still consider themselves the preeminent broadcast news deliverers in the US.

Will they submit it as part of their FCC filings to maintain their broadcast licenses? Sure. If the networks even have to do that. I know individual stations need to do that. They need to show the FCC they are serving their market/community/audience's best interests. Public Service/news programming is the usual measure of that requirement.

But I don't think there's anything anyone can do if a network decided NOT to provide election night coverage.

Actually, just so it can be said, while they can't directly force it, this was tested in 2008 when networks wanted to bail out of convention coverage. Under the FCC Bylaws, in order to maintain their broadcast license, a broadcast network must show a set percentage of programs are responsive to "community and civic interest toward the area the broadcaster is based". Because several stations seriously limited their local news to carry national, in 2008, when NBC and Fox threatened to carry almost none of the convention, letters were sent to the networks informing them it was there right to do so, but the FCC would be willing to audit each station for compliance to the percentage rules (which is a legal requirement). The networks quickly backed down, and it was covered.

If networks decided they would carry minimal (say an hour) then nothing would happen. But you have a network decide to carry none? You'll get a senator or a house of rep member demand an FCC audit for compliance.

In other words: you may not get coverage on simple municipality issues; but it will be a while before you ever see a network do no coverage on a Midterm or Presidential election.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Right. All of that sounds right to me.

I still contend that networks wouldn't want to pare back their elections coverage (even of a midterm election)...because they think it's what they do best...and it's what their audience should have. Some of them did want to (and still did lessen) their convention coverage only because it used to be over-kill and they don't see the conventions as real news-making events but party propaganda devices (and also boring events which should be relegated to the 24 hour cable ops).

I also think your scenario of an FCC audit of a network not carrying out it's public interest requirements being carried forward to revocation of their opportunity to broadcast would make for better drama than much of what's on TV these days...

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt

While Peter's analysis of "firing you doesn't make enough of a dent" is right as far as the books are concerned, you'd think he'd still be obligated to let her go under the last person in - first person out method, and because keeping her, even at minimal to no pay is bad PR.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt

It's an unfortunate part of business to fire people. I've had to do it quite a few times. Though, most of those were incompetence (and twice for office theft) it's pretty unfortunate and it is not fun.

It largely depends on the nature of the job, though. I was surprised to see Peter fire people apparently middle of the week in the show, during regular hours. When we knew we were letting someone go, unless it was with immediate cause, we always waited until end of day Friday or End of day (last day of the week worked) because it was the easiest on all involved. They'd have the weekend to get it out of their system, and we'd reset on Monday.

But the more I've thought about this, I really can't see how his sister survives as a job holder. Maybe they get into that later, but that would definitely create office politics they don't want, especially if anyone else finds out she's dating the boss. In fact, that's the kind of thing that would lead some of those terminated to file a "wrongful termination" suit, or, if it was a woman, a "sexually charged atmosphere" which promoted those who were sleeping with the boss over long term FTEs.

I'm interested in how that will all shake out.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just got around to watching Tuesday night's episode, and I absolutely loved it. Crosby finally had to cut his ties with bachelorhood, Adam finally blew his stack, Sarah reverted to her bad habits, Zeek is learning how to listen, and Haddie's embarking on something outside her comfort zone.

Crosby's issues with selling the boat served as a great refraction point onto all of the other characters. My favorite part was seeing Jasmine react to it. For a season and a half, we've seen Crosby adapt to being a father and accommodate Jasmine. The dynamic, in other words, has been pretty one-sided. Now we're starting to see the other side of the adjustment, as Joel's words cause Jasmine to really take stock of who Crosby is and what they're embarking upon. The single mother in her has reached a level of certainty that, whatever else happens, Crosby's in for the long haul with Jabar. That's the seed for her love for Crosby, since she loves Jabar more than anything in the world. Watching Crosby evolve to feel the same exact way unites them in something more than just shared practical interests. At the same time, the previously jilted lover in her has seen many guys like Crosby come and go, and she's got an eye out for the signs that he's preparing to jump ship. A year ago, she would have accused him over his reluctance to give up the boat. Now, knowing him better and having a lot more invested in a common future with him, she takes the time to feel him out and actively bolsters him to make the transition easier. And while there are parts of her that had to mature really fast when Jabar was born, she has her share of perpetually adolescent traits just like Crosby. I didn't give these two much of a shot before, but this episode convinced me that I maybe underestimated them.

Of Crosby's three siblings, only Sarah didn't hide behind a mask of teasing and sarcasm. Her early morning walk of shame, pretty much identical to the one with her ex-husband that Adam described to Zeek on Crosby's boat, proved she has her share of immaturity too. The difference is that she's accumulated a lifetime of screwups, whereas Crosby's venturing forward with a relatively clean slate. Crosby could become Sarah, but he's still got a shot to dodge her mistakes. I love the relationship between Sarah and Amber. The look on Amber's face after Drew left the room was heartbreaking; she'd been terrified that she wouldn't have her mother anymore -- and Sarah saw it and we saw it. What was a forgivable bit of youthful excess with Seth before the kids is much more serious and less funny now. Bonnie Bedelia was absolutely phenomenal at the kitchen table after Sarah gets the dressing down from Amber and Drew. You can tell how incredibly disappointed Camille is in Sarah, but Camille knows belaboring the point won't do Sarah any good. I've had plenty of conversations with my own mother like that, when I'm deflated from a screw-up and she commiserates with me because she knows she can't punish me any more than I've already punished myself.

Craig T. Nelson was also great with Zeek on Crosby's boat as Adam finally unloads what's going on inside. Zeek is a great salesman. I work for a great salesman. They are extroverts to the point of excess. It's pretty impossible for them to turn it off. So for Zeek to stand there and just listen, really listen, as Adam got it all out, including his problems with Zeek, was extraordinary. Nelson played Zeek as a man who's spent his whole life talking, but nevertheless understands that right now he needs to let his son talk and his only role is to listen and be alright with it. You could feel Zeek's restraint, and that's what made it so poignant.

Haddie's storyline with the volunteer coordinator is just beginning, but they haven't struck a false note yet. These are two decent and altruistic people trying to be the best they can be but who live in a society which 99 times out of a 100 would have kept them from having anything to do with one another. There's the racial divide, the socioeconomic divide, the lifestyle divide, and a bit of an age divide. They feel all of that, and yet the attraction is there and they're both intelligent and kind and tightly wound and have the same sense of humor. Whether they can bridge all the seperates them without throwing one of them off the straight and narrow paths they have induvidually set for themselves is something I'm very much interested in finding out.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

Craig T. Nelson was also great with Zeek on Crosby's boat as Adam finally unloads what's going on inside. Zeek is a great salesman. I work for a great salesman. They are extroverts to the point of excess. It's pretty impossible for them to turn it off. So for Zeek to stand there and just listen, really listen, as Adam got it all out, including his problems with Zeek, was extraordinary. Nelson played Zeek as a man who's spent his whole life talking, but nevertheless understands that right now he needs to let his son talk and his only role is to listen and be alright with it. You could feel Zeek's restraint, and that's what made it so poignant.

Craig T. Nelson was, indeed, powerful in his silence in the dialogue with Adam on Crosby's boat.

This was one of my favorite episodes, I think...because it focused so much on Adam and his many issues. I've said earlier that my empathy for Adam has been building over the course of the run of the series. When I saw the relentless promos for this week's episode (with the condensed confrontation involving Adam, Max and the guy in the express line at the market) I couldn't wait to see how things played out.

At work, Adam is caught between his boss and a hard place. At home, he has been dealing with constant disagreements with Haddie and her mother. There are his many emotions over his relationship with Max. And, there is the responsibility of being the eldest sibling in this tight-knit family--and in the case of his relationship with his father, of being the eldest child on which his father leans for stability. His neediest siblings treat him as their "go to" person whenever they've scraped their knee or when the going gets rough or uncertain.

Adam has the weight of the Braverman world on his shoulders. Interestingly, while it--in this episode--physically manifested itself in the punch he laid on the express line guy and it emotionally manifested itself in the talk with his father...I don't see where any of it has changed after any of those events and it looks like things won't be changing for him any time soon. I suspect he is going to have to continue to swallow that anger and keep on "keeping on."

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

At work, Adam is caught between his boss and a hard place.
Thanks for bringing this up, because I was happy to see that Adam at least recognized that a) celebrating after seven people have just lost their jobs is in incredibly poor taste, and b) renting a fully stocked limo for the night when the company can't afford to keep all of its employees looks really bad to the employees that stayed. I work for a company that's suffered from the recession. I've made sacrifices to make sure the company can stay solvent. But I'm willing to make those sacrifices because I see that that owner is making his share of big sacrifices to keep the business afloat, too. My guess is that most honest employees feel the same way. But if I'd seen my boss take off in a limo after seven coworkers got just laid off, it'd be really hard to get me to agree to furloughs or pay cuts since the pain obviously isn't being shared at the top. Adam gets that; Gordon does not. And Adam's left patching over Gordon's screw-ups.

Adam has the weight of the Braverman world on his shoulders. Interestingly, while it--in this episode--physically manifested itself in the punch he laid on the express line guy and it emotionally manifested itself in the talk with his father...I don't see where any of it has changed after any of those events and it looks like things won't be changing for him any time soon. I suspect he is going to have to continue to swallow that anger and keep on "keeping on."

The burdens haven't changed, but how he's dealing with those burdens has begun to change. Zeek's finally realized that Adam needs his shoulder to cry on (so to speak) more than he needs Adam's stability. And he's begun to work on that, even though what Adam has to unload isn't always the most charitable towards him. More importantly, he's started to let his wife Kristina in. Adam's always felt the need to bottle everything up; he takes in everyone else's emotional toxic waste, but he's got no place to send his. Sharing the episode at the grocery store with Kristina probably felt like a failure to Adam, but he desperately needed to share and Kristina desperately wanted to listen.

I started with two family dramas at midseason last year, this one and "Life Unexpected". The three characters at the center of the latter show, the orphaned girl and her biological parents, immediately grabbed me in a way that this show didn't. The chemistry between them all was visceral and it make it the better show. What's changed is that the writing on "Parenthood" has remained rock solid since day one, while the writing on "Life Unexpected" become bogged down in soap opera plot twists that soon left me resenting the characters. Adam and Kristina have a great marriage, despite their own induvidual flaws. Zeek and Camille don't have a great marriage, but they do have the bond that comes with decades of shared living, and enough love left in the tank that they still both want to try and make it great. Julia and Joel have an incredibly rocky marriage, but it's not because of manipulative plot gimmicks but a natural result of their personalities and circumstances. Crosby is a great father, even if he hasn't figured everything (or anything) else out quite yet. These are people I want to welcome into my home for an hour each week, and they're on a show that trusts that the trials and tribulations of real living are enough to keep an audience involved. When I look at the tightrope both shows have walked, seeing the areas where "Life Unexpected" (for all of its continued charms) has fallen short makes me appreciate this show all the more.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tonight's episode is probably one of my least favorite episodes to date.

1.) Amber scoring 770s on her SATs? Seriously?

2.) Kristina talks to the mother about Max's non-invitation...then to the classmate(!)--then to the mother again? Seriously? The mother was absolutely correct in telling her to go to hell. Then the music gets all mushy and the girl's mother caves on the playdate proposal and they're clinking wine glasses in soft focus. Seriously?

3.) Camille thinks it might be a good idea to take the art class from her paramour? Zeke opens up in therapy as to why he doesn't like the idea and she decides to go ahead anyway...telling him he needs to trust her? Seriously? Then, he reminds her that he doesn't like the fact that she's doing it and she still doesn't get it?

4.) Sarah thinks she'll go into Amber's meeting with the college alum? And then gets all nervous and giddy outside the door?

Tonight's episode was like one long cartoon. I realize not every episode will be a gem...but this one was really bad.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, not very good. The Zeke thing struck me as ridiculous. She cannot be that foolish to not realize the impact that decision makes.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Funny seeing Vince Howard's crackwhore mother as the therapist in an episode in which he appears. I guess Katims is building a bit of a troupe with his Friday Night Lights cast.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Speaking of the therapist, I cannot imagine a therapist letting Camille get away with the I'll think about it" answer after Zeek laid himself out emotionally like he did.

Even my wife is surprised that she agrees with me that Camille's behavior is completely out-of-line in this particular case. The only thing the writers could do to redeem it would be to have her actually be committed to ending her relationship with Zeek. She would have to "want out" to be acting this way.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet, but how old is Haddie's "like" interest? And I'm assuming she's 16 since she's a high school junior. I thought the age thing was a big elephant in the room, and more of an issue than his recovery from alcoholism.

I'm also a little bothered by Camille's treatment of Zeke and the failure of them and the therapist to find a compromise, especially since Matthew was only filling in for a few weeks. She could have opted to not attend those first few sessions, which would have addressed Zeke's concerns. Yes, it's a sacrifice on her part, but it's not like dropping the entire class.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
He's 23 in real life. Of course, from watching Grease, I know that that means nothing. He could be a junior high schooler on the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks