What's new

Paramount's 100th Anniversary In 2012 Any Surprises Coming To Blu ? (1 Viewer)

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Originally Posted by Brianruns10

My guessed be a massive, expensive box set full of never before released titles which, conveniently enough, are not available separately... ;)

Or even worse, a massive box set full of already-released films with a couple of never before released titles included that, annoyingly enough, will never be released separately. (all together now: MGM/Fox Musical Collection......"Whoopee" "Kid Millions"...)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by dana martin
well they released The Italian Job (1969) in the UK, would be nice to get it in the states as well

Would also be nice if they did a new transfer/encode sans the DNR. I probably would've imported the UK version (at a pretty good price) if not for that.

_Man_

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I expect that we would have less new titles from Paramount that Fox has given us for their annaversery. And that would be none.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Paramount's DVD sales are way down, so I don't imagine we'll be getting anything in the way of extensive restorations anytime soon.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/04/business/media/04viacom.html?src=busln

In the quarter, which ended Dec. 31 and was the first of Viacom’s fiscal year, revenue from home entertainment — the bulk of which is DVD sales — dropped 44 percent, to $638 million.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I thought most of Parmount's DVDs were, ahem, "out of print". That might account for their DVD sales being down. Am I wrong? I know that every one I've looked up on Amazon or anywhere else within the past few months has been unavailable new.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
What I'd like to see on Blu-ray are the passel of John Wayne films that Paramount has out on DVD. So far it's just "True Grit," which came out only because of the (successful if inferior except for the casting of La Boef) remake.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Yes, I too wish Paramount would release more John Wayne Movies on BLU-Ray . I want all of their Major John Wayne movies on Blu-Ray. The seven I want the most:

1. Rio Lobo

2. Big Jake

3. Hatari!

4. El Dorado

5. MCCLINTOCK

6. The Sons Of Katie Elder

7. Donovan's Reef

If Paramount is serious about increasing BLU-Ray sales on classic films they should release these John Wayne Movies and his other movies on BLU-Ray soon. John Wayne movies sell!

Take Care!

Robert

FrancisP

Screenwriter
The only thing that Paramount releases are recent titles and re-releasing old titles. That really doesn't say anything. Even their output on blu-ray is minimal at best. If we could get Hollywood to re-make all of John Wayne's films then maybe we would get them.

Good list, Robert! Another J.W. Paramount favorite of mine is In Harm's Way. The DVD of Hatari is so bad. If anything, I wish they would remaster that while we wait for the Blu-rays of these great Wayne films. True Grit looks excellent in Blu-ray. If the others would look this fine, it would be a wonderful day. The Sons of Katie Elder is my favorite Wayne film. While we're dreaming, I wish Warner would give us a Blu-ray of Chisum, and Universal, The War Wagon. There are so many excellent John Wayne films throughout the 1960s and into the early 1970s.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
We can probably expect a handful of recent releases, some Tom Cruise movies and the Star Trek stuff all getting "Paramount Centenary" stickers on the outside of the packaging.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I thought most of Parmount's DVDs were, ahem, "out of print". That might account for their DVD sales being down. Am I wrong? I know that every one I've looked up on Amazon or anywhere else within the past few months has been unavailable new.
Exactly- they shouldn't be complaining about declining sales when they don't HAVE anything out to sell! In the meantime I've panic-bought a number of Paramount titles when I heard they were going out of print, and many are now going for large amounts on Ebay.

It's not like they want all their old titles out of circulation either- "The Big Bus" is available on Amazon VOD and Vudu, but the DVD is out of print and sellers are asking big bucks for that one.

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
I´d like to have:

1) Beverly Hills Cop 1-3 (Eddie Murphy)

2) Escape from Alcatraz (Clint Eastwood)

3) Another 48 Hours (Eddie Murphy, Nick Nolte)

4) The Longest Yard (Burt Reynolds)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
There are a large number of great titles from Paramount that I would love (many mentioned already), but some additional titles that I would love are:

Clue (this is one of my most wished for titles)

Kiss the Girls

Along Came a Spider

Some Kind of Wonderful

Body Parts

Fire in the Sky

Virtuosity

Snake Eyes

A Simple Plan

Searching for Bobby Fischer

The Hours

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Maybe they've been reading this thread - Paramount has just announced the release of Beverly Hills Cop and Steve McQueen's Le Mans on blu-ray.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Le Mans on Blu-ray? Mercy this was such a bad film IMO. There are so many other deserving titles, but I guess they are trying to piggyback on Warner's Grand Prix. And any catalog title on Blu-ray is good news. So the news is embraced.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Le Mans has an incoherent narrative (if you can call it a narrative...), but it captures not only the spirit of the 24 Heures du Mans, but also the zeitgeist beautifully and personally, I'm overjoyed that it's coming to Blu.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Le Mans is an odd choice for a studio that virtually releases no catalog titles whatsoever. But I guess it is better than nothing at this point. Still, I'd love to have Chinatown, Hud, To Catch a Thief, Ordinary People, Ragtime, The Shootist, The Bad News Bears (original) Gunfight at the OK Corral, Last Train From Gun Hill, Heaven Can Wait, Rosemary's Baby amongst others from the Paramount library. Universal should releasing Winning, the we would have all three of the superstar race car movies from that period on Blu.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by ahollis

Le Mans on Blu-ray? Mercy this was such a bad film IMO. There are so many other deserving titles, but I guess they are trying to piggyback on Warner's Grand Prix. And any catalog title on Blu-ray is good news. So the news is embraced.

I think they're piggyback on a couple of things such as Memorial Day and racing theme plus Papillon being released that same week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks