What's new

Paramount to re-do "Godfather" DVDs (1 Viewer)

Seth--L

Screenwriter

The article implies that Paramount and American Zoetrope knowingly did a halfass job with the transfer, and now they are cleaning up their mistake.

greg_t

Screenwriter
The article implies that Paramount and American Zoetrope knowingly did a halfass job with the transfer, and now they are cleaning up their mistake.
In that case, Columbia tri star would have to offer a rebate for every title that they've re-released on superbit. It ain't going to happen.

Seth--L

Screenwriter

I think that Sony would argue that they try to create the best combination of video and extra features with the first release. According to the article, Paramount gave American Zoetrope bad prints to use for the DVD transfers and while American Zoetrope recognized this, they still went ahead and used them.

Adam Horak

Stunt Coordinator
I don't get this. Why would they do a rebate when there is nothing wrong with the current set? Just because you aren't happy with the video quality does not make it defective. You're probably going to be unhappy because I don't think you'll get a rebate offer.
I certainly don't expect there to be any rebate. I do think it would be a wonderful gesture by the studio though. They charged an above average price for a below average product, IMO. I bought it simply because I had no other way to view these films. A rebate of some kind would be a nice way to say thanks to the current owners of the set. At any rate, you are probably right that its not going to happen

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
I suppose that the cuurent DVDs were as good as it got at the time they were created. Technology progresses.

If these new ones are "astonishingly" better, then I'll bite. The original transfers were a bit of a disappointment, IMO.

But hey, it sure was/is great to see them at home in widescreen without commercials and cuts.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Damin wrote:
The most interesting thing about the article for me is that John Lowry concedes that he went too far with grain removal on Citizen Kane.
Mr. Lowry said as much (explaining that it was an early project and he'd like to redo it, given 2K and software advances) in his chat here at the HTF last year:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/files/lowry.txt

I seem to be the only one around these parts who sees grain in Kane (the reading room portion of the Thatcher Library sequence, for instance) -- as with many LDI transfers, Casablanca among them, grain is least evident/most absent in brightly lit and completely dark sequences, and most evident in sequences where shades of gray predominate. It's clear that different given portions of LDI transfers have differing grain structures (from none in evidence to moderately evident), but how accurate this variance is to surviving elements I can't say (Lowry also explains in that chat that his company reduces grain with the goal of reproducing the levels of an original element, rather than eliminating it -- when no such element survives, such things are of course open to interpritation and mistake, and it doesn't surprise me at all that LDI concedes advances in this area, along with others; the input of the studio that hires them, whom they must first please, will likely be the foremost guide to such efforts, I'd expect).

At any rate -- that's another thread, but I thought I'd point out the chat to those further interested in the topic. :emoji_thumbsup: I don't yet own the Godfathers, so I'm happy to hear they'll be revisited.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
From the article:
Mr. Lowry has worked on such brilliant DVD's as "North by Northwest," "Sunset Boulevard" and the new double-disc "Casablanca" — all of which were made from prints or negatives in dreadful condition
I'm not sure that this statement is as true for Casablanca as it is for the other two films. I was under the impression that they had decent quality elements available for Casablanca.

Keep in mind that the Paramount that mishandled the Godfather elements bears only nominal resemblance to the Paramount of today. In any case, if they want me to double dip on the first two Godfathers, they could include the original mono sound mix as well as the 5.1 remix.

Regards,

Todd B

Stunt Coordinator
According to DVD Angle the Godfather disc is being released is the exact same disc as in the box set. Is the above article talking about a different release?

earl_roberts

Stunt Coordinator
I got my Godfather set before release date and I think I've only watched it through twice!
I wanted to keep the films special and fresh in my mind but now it just seems like I haven't got my monies worth, cause I KNOW I'll get this new set :frowning:
Recently I've upgraded Carlito's Way, Casablanca and soon to upgrade Alien and Aliens long after I said I was gonna stop double-dipping.
All they need to do is put these films on disc at as high a bit-rate as possible, include the old commentaries and the mono tracks and they'll be great. If they leave off all extras I don't mind keeping my old set for the bonus disc. May be cool if a new set is released with the saga edit but I've never seen it so can't say I'll prefer it.
On the transers, I love them cause they remind me I'm watching a film! I always thought the transfers were great, can't believe so many people don't like. You sure are spoiled :)

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Godfather Collection, and I see nothing wrong with the transfers. I have watched the films at least three times each since I purchased them and love the extras as well. I can't see buying these again unless they are really special. They would have to have more extras than the boxed set, because the transfers would not be enough to warrant a double dip.

RISUG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reese
In 2001 my passion for and thus buying of dvds had waned due to various distractions in my life. I still purchased them, but at a frequency and volume that was much lower and lesser respectively than my first two years. Thus the GodFather box set came and went, though I always knew that it would be only a matter of time before I got it one day.

When my life stabilized in 2002 I embarked on an effort to catch up on discs that I had missed in 2001, the GodFather boxset was on the top of my "gotta get" list, but between catching up and trying to keep current I never quite had the funds to afford it.

So here we are in 2003 - and it seems my procrastination of the GodFather box set will inadvertently be rewarded with re-releases that are at least in video quality superior to their predecessors. Being released individually will also mean keepcase packagaing which I prefer to the card board layout (which by the way is very nice, but for durability purposes I like keepcases).

First the remastered video Bond flicks (and dolby digital 5.1 tracks for the films without one, also it's rumored that all the films will get a DTS track..we'll see) coming in 2006, and now the remasterd GodFather films coming in 2004.

It seems I've "accidently" dodged two bullets. I understand that most peoples wallets won't even flinch from rebuying the Bond and GodFather films, but unfortunately I'm not one of those people. And yes - had I bought the progenitors of these films I would'nt "have" to rebuy the enhanced versions, but as I've mentioned before, my number one priority with any film on dvd is the AV quality. Ergo, if a film on dvd I own is re-released with even the slightest bit of improvement in either the picture or sound I simply can not rest in peace until I've replaced it with the superior version.

I know - it's a sickness. Though I'd say we all have our own form of psychosis when it comes to dvd.

As for supplemental material - it's on a per case basis, but for the most part I could care less - and in the case of the GodFather films - I could care less.

And oh by the way Paramount, though I didn't buy the first release of GodFather films - shame on you.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I'm surprised to hear so many people express acceptance of the current set. To my eyes it looks awful. I realize that the look of the films is not supposed to be crisp, but the video quality just looks terrible to me. After paying $90 for three movies I feel ripped off by sub-par transfers. I will be extremely unhappy if there is not some kind of rebate offer for current box set owners.
While the Godfather set looks fine on my 30 inch TVs, they are nearly unwatchable on my 92 inch screen. The image does not hold up IMHO - has nothing to do with film grain, etc.

And yes, I also found it odd that #3, the newest film, looks as bad as it does.

Cheers,

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
The only way I'd replace the discs would be if Paramount was offering an exchange, and the new ones had the Coppola commentaries on them
I'm content with the present set. I'd only upgrade if the films were presented in chronological order, as is done with one LD set.

Roman T

Grip
They're very much "watchable" on my 110" screen.
Not reference quality to be sure, not even close,
but fine and acceptable.

Of course, should they improve the A/V quality I'll just have to double dip..

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
On my 47" 16x9 HDTV I find the transfers acceptable but not (obviously) reference. And by reference I don't mean in comparison to The Matrix Reloaded - I mean reference compared to other stellar transfers of films about the same age as the Godfather I and II.

I only paid around $50-$60 for the set, as I had coupons and searched for the best deal. So I'm not bitter if the new transfers are indeed heads-n-shoulders above the old ones. Since 3 isn't my fave, if they're available separately I'll only buy I and II again.

Todd B

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure whether my previous post got buried. Let me try again...

Are we really sure that this is a NEW transfer???

According to the DVD Angle, the Godfather is the only disc being released and IT IS THE SAME TRANSFER as the disc in the box set.

Can anyone confirm or deny that this? Are there two Godfather releases in our future?

Todd

Seth--L

Screenwriter
Todd B,

DVD Angle is talking about a release in May. The Times says the new transfers will be out at the end of 2004.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Ive only watched the set twice and I got it right away when it came out. It would have to take a rebate and/or new extras to warrant rebuying.

Im not unhappy with the current transfers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks