What's new

Paramount: "The African Queen" DVD Release? (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think Paramount has the dvd rights to "The African Queen" and if that's so, when can we expect a Region 1 release of this classic film?

Crawdaddy

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Robert. Do the studios actually review these threads and respond (I don't mean to be casting any doubts)?

Is Paramount the most likely suspect for AQ? I thought there was a chance that MGM may have the R1 rights?

If either Paramount or MGM is looing through this thread I implore you to consider the commercial and artistic ramifications of a R1 release. Not that it wouldn't be great to have the movie only version (I'm sure this would get a good response from the public) but a retrospective on Hepburne's career while she is still with us would be wonderful and may make a classic release a surefire commercial success.

Joel

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
This is one of my favourite films of all time. Please resease a nice DVD and I'll be more than happy to buy a copy in a heartbeat.

Will K

Screenwriter
I'd pick up a copy, too. This is a wonderfully romantic film...and I hate romance!

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
FYI, the R2 DVD has a commentary by Jack Cardiff (cinematographer on African Queen) along with two 20-min doc. on HH and KH...

Cheers,

Vincent

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I've been considering purchasing the R2 DVD. If this is to remain unreleased in R1 then I think I should pick this up soon.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Ready and waiting to pay whatever $$ I need to purchase a properly restored DVD version for R1.

here's to hopin'!

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
This is one of the three Bogie movies I'd purchase when they're available in good versions. Paramount if you own the rights please do justice to this classic.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Mark me down as well for this one as well. Are we sure it's Paramount now?

It was previously a CBS/Fox video title. IMDb says that UA released this theatrically (CBS/Fox Video did once have UA films under its umbrella). Wouldn't that make it MGM's title now?

Or does this somehow fall under the domain of CBS Films, making it now a Paramount title?

Jon

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
I would buy one whenever it is released. It's one of the few movies that my wife and I agree on, being both a classic and a very entertaining film.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Another one of those multiple rights headaches...

THE AFRICAN QUEEN was fully financed by Horizon Pictures, who mostly did co-productions with major studios, just not this time. UA only released it in theatres, and those rights lapsed years ago.

Fox initially got video rights to the movie during the Magnetic Video days. This either was a direct deal with the holding company controlling Horizon's assets, or a deal with Viacom, who held TV rights for years and initially released many films thru the Fox label, including the early Paramount Elvis musicals and Jerry Lewis' VISIT TO A FAR-OUT PLANET. Naturally, if the latter is true, then Paramount would now own video rights to the title.

However, the other wrinkle is that in the UK, the Rank Organisation released the film, and their assets are now part of Carlton Communications. Carlton made a 99-year deal with the former Samuel Goldwyn company for video, and MGM inherited that deal, so it is possible that when Peter Staddon speculated that MGM owned the title, that it would be from this Carlton license.

Anybody with real studio smarts able to help me here?

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
African Queen was shown last night one one of the Digital cable channels. At the end of the film, it had a Paramount logo.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
It would seem unlikely that the studio that owns this wouldn't understand the tremendous demand that exists, but I'll still throw in my vote. I would dearly love to retire my Beta tape of this.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
The studios seem to like surveys. Unfortunately if they do the survey at the local Mall I doubt anyone younger that 40 to 60 yrs old will have ever heard of "The African Queen".

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
As we get closer to Academy Award night (this Sunday) there seem to be a number of stations that are broadcasting this classic. I may just have to tape one of them on S-VHS to tide me over. Let's hope AQ get's some attention soon ;) .

Joel

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Just found a Region 0 (NTSC) version available(?) per DVD Profiler (listing). Anyone know how to obtain? It is listed as a Romulus production...

Joel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks