Paramount: "The African Queen" DVD Release?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Robert Crawford, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I think Paramount has the dvd rights to "The African Queen" and if that's so, when can we expect a Region 1 release of this classic film?

Crawdaddy

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Pleeeeeeaaaaassssseeeee?

3. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

Thanks, Robert. Do the studios actually review these threads and respond (I don't mean to be casting any doubts)?

Is Paramount the most likely suspect for AQ? I thought there was a chance that MGM may have the R1 rights?

If either Paramount or MGM is looing through this thread I implore you to consider the commercial and artistic ramifications of a R1 release. Not that it wouldn't be great to have the movie only version (I'm sure this would get a good response from the public) but a retrospective on Hepburne's career while she is still with us would be wonderful and may make a classic release a surefire commercial success.

Joel

4. Rain

Rain Producer

This is one of my favourite films of all time. Please resease a nice DVD and I'll be more than happy to buy a copy in a heartbeat.

5. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

Yes please.

"Nature ,Mr. Allnut, is what we are put into this world to rise above"

6. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

put me down for a copy as well

[​IMG]

7. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

I'd pick up a copy, too. This is a wonderfully romantic film...and I hate romance!

8. Vincent Matis

Vincent Matis Second Unit

FYI, the R2 DVD has a commentary by Jack Cardiff (cinematographer on African Queen) along with two 20-min doc. on HH and KH...

Cheers,

Vincent

9. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I've been considering purchasing the R2 DVD. If this is to remain unreleased in R1 then I think I should pick this up soon.

10. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Ready and waiting to pay whatever $$ I need to purchase a properly restored DVD version for R1.

here's to hopin'!

11. Ed Moroughan

Ed Moroughan Second Unit

Edward R. Moroughan
    This is one of the three Bogie movies I'd purchase when they're available in good versions. Paramount if you own the rights please do justice to this classic.

12. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I'd buy it in a hearbeat.

13. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    Mark me down as well for this one as well. Are we sure it's Paramount now?

It was previously a CBS/Fox video title. IMDb says that UA released this theatrically (CBS/Fox Video did once have UA films under its umbrella). Wouldn't that make it MGM's title now?

Or does this somehow fall under the domain of CBS Films, making it now a Paramount title?

Jon

14. Terry Hickey

Terry Hickey Second Unit

Terry Hickey
    I would buy one whenever it is released. It's one of the few movies that my wife and I agree on, being both a classic and a very entertaining film.

15. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Another one of those multiple rights headaches...

THE AFRICAN QUEEN was fully financed by Horizon Pictures, who mostly did co-productions with major studios, just not this time. UA only released it in theatres, and those rights lapsed years ago.

Fox initially got video rights to the movie during the Magnetic Video days. This either was a direct deal with the holding company controlling Horizon's assets, or a deal with Viacom, who held TV rights for years and initially released many films thru the Fox label, including the early Paramount Elvis musicals and Jerry Lewis' VISIT TO A FAR-OUT PLANET. Naturally, if the latter is true, then Paramount would now own video rights to the title.

However, the other wrinkle is that in the UK, the Rank Organisation released the film, and their assets are now part of Carlton Communications. Carlton made a 99-year deal with the former Samuel Goldwyn company for video, and MGM inherited that deal, so it is possible that when Peter Staddon speculated that MGM owned the title, that it would be from this Carlton license.

Anybody with real studio smarts able to help me here?

16. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

African Queen was shown last night one one of the Digital cable channels. At the end of the film, it had a Paramount logo.

17. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale
    It would seem unlikely that the studio that owns this wouldn't understand the tremendous demand that exists, but I'll still throw in my vote. I would dearly love to retire my Beta tape of this.

18. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

The studios seem to like surveys. Unfortunately if they do the survey at the local Mall I doubt anyone younger that 40 to 60 yrs old will have ever heard of "The African Queen".

19. Joel Vardy

As we get closer to Academy Award night (this Sunday) there seem to be a number of stations that are broadcasting this classic. I may just have to tape one of them on S-VHS to tide me over. Let's hope AQ get's some attention soon [​IMG] .

Joel

20. Joel Vardy

Just found a Region 0 (NTSC) version available(?) per DVD Profiler (listing). Anyone know how to obtain? It is listed as a Romulus production...

Joel