What's new

Paramount releasing Hammer/cult DVDs? (1 Viewer)

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator
I recall hearing that Paramount was going to release some cult film on DVD in the coming year. I especially want to know if they plan to do Hammer's FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL and CAPTAIN KRONOS: VAMPIRE HUNTER. Does anyone have any information on this? What about BLOOD AND ROSES, DANGER DIABOLAK, THE SKULL, DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS, FOUR FLIES ON GREY VELVET, etc?

Martin Blythe

Second Unit
We like them too George (the hammers) but they come in and out of the schedule. I doubt we'll get them out in 2002 but we're looking at them seriously.

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator
Martin,
Why the long wait for the two Hammers? Why the on/off schedule stuff? Why can't you just license these to Anchor Bay. I know first had that they would do the right thing(without thinking twice, and prolonging, like what is happening here) and they would envolve some of the participants for supplements, including Brian Clemens, Roy Skeggs and Shane Briant. If you "like" the films so much, why don't you put these in the right hands. It's really not fair that these films have to be held hostage for no reason!

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I'm sure Martin's already well aware of this, but Paramount controls another Hammer horror film, in addition to the two already requested here:
THE MAN WHO COULD CHEAT DEATH (1959), directed by Terence Fisher (THE MUMMY ('59), HORROR OF DRACULA ('58), CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN ('57), etc)
I'd love to see Paramount's three Hammer films, plus the sci-fi classic I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE ('58), released and promoted on DVD next August-September, in time for Halloween 2002. Wouldn't you?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
We'd sure like them released! Oh, and Four Flies on Grey Velvet too. This is the one BIG Dario Argento title that is still languishing unreleased. I should think from its status as a very-hard-to-see film that sales would be extraordinarily good for an Italian thriller. Take a look at Anchor Bay's Argento releases for an idea of how to handle it.
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
Well I sent in a letter to Paramount urging them to release their Hammer films on DVD next year. I can only keep my fingers crossed:)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I think releasing any Hammer films on DVD is a no-brainer as there is a big customer base for these films. Paramount has been great in releasing their catalog titles so maybe the Hammer films just need a lot of work. At least I hope that's the reason and not a suspected lack of interest in these DVDs.
And I second releasing I Married a Monster from Outer Space on DVD. It's one of the best sci-fi films from the 50's even though it has a ridiculous title.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
Well, first up I'd like to thank Martin Blythe for responding to the subject header so promptly. It's been said before, but I'll repeat it - it's very generous for Paramount (in the figure of Mr Blythe) to maintain an active presence on these boards, and answer queries so quickly and honestly. Much appreciated, Martin.

I'm satisfied with the comment that the titles are coming at some point, and just because these movies aren't being licensed out to Anchor Bay doesn't necessarily mean that they're being held to ransom or deliberately kept off the market. I have no idea of the specifics (and don't really care) but any one of the following could be a factor - the Hammer titles need a little restoration work before being released (this could likely afflict FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL, which has usually been cut on home video). Maybe Paramount are hoping for a certain market window to open, perhaps where they can cross-promote these or other titles (just as Warner released Hammer's THE MUMMY in the midst of publicity for Universal's THE MUMMY RETURNS). Maybe Paramount already have a wave or two of cult titles scheduled for this year, and need to keep things balanced, hence the idea of possibly releasing the Hammer films in 2003. (I know this wasn't explicitly suggested, but I'd love to see it happen). Maybe Paramount like the idea of taking advantage of another's years worth of DVD player sales in 2002, giving them several million more customers to market these semi-obscure titles to next year. Not my place to guess, and so long as the films are coming, I don't really care. Anchor Bay already has a listing of titles on their website that they plan to release in 2003. If Paramount tentatively announced something similar, would folks here be happy, or would they just get steamed that the films weren't coming in 2002?

Add my voice to the many who are keen to see DON'T LOOK NOW, THE TENANT, ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST and FOUR FLIES ON GREY VELVET come out from Paramount. To a certain degree, and as long as the presentation of the films are done justice, I'm willing to wait for all of these.

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
I too am eager to see the Hammer's released on DVD, as well as the others that George mentioned. I'd like to third I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE and would like to add BLOOD AND ROSES to the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks