What's new

Paramount Re-enters Hi-Def Formats w/Spring & Early Summer Line-up (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Nice to see Paramount back in the game. Good for HD DVD & Blu-ray. :)

Source:
http://dvd.themanroom.com/dvd-newsview.php?id=498

Failure to Launch (both)...April 24
Flags Of Our Fathers (both)...May 22
Mission Impossible (both) available separately now...May 22
MI-2 (both)...May 22
Coming To America (BD only?)...June 5
Trading Places (both)....June 5

:)

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
I can finally get Mission and Mission II on HD-DVD. I just didn't have the money at the time to get the Ultimate Missions Boxset...

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Two of my Eddie Murphy favorites hit HD and BD in June.

Inserted this post here, Thomas, to keep equal things in 1 thread - CA

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I think there are many people like you Corey who were waiting for the contents of that set being offered separately.

I can only hope that Paramount will flood the gates with their great catalog titles from the '80s.

Ferris Beuller
Airplane
Top Gun
Beverly Hills Cop

and many more! Come on Paramount! :)

Dave>h

Second Unit
Trading places = 80's Jamie Lee Curtis in HD!

Oo la la.

And a really funny great movie too!

Dave

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
I really hope that WB/Paramount also releases Letters From Iwo Jima the same day that Flags Of Our Fathers hits HD. I mean, that would be around the 5 month mark for Letters, since it was released in December.

Ali B

Second Unit
I'd move heaven and earth to get one of the formats if Once Upon a Time in the West came out in HD. Sadly still no sign of it - I guess Paramount have got a lot of dross to get through before that one comes out :frowning:

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Glad I held off on the MI set. Now I can go ahead and pick up MI3 on Blu-Ray and MI in May.

Oh and another vote for Once Upon A Time in The West on Blu-Ray/HD. Just thinking about that has my mouth watering.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully, Paramount will continue to ramp up title production - I've been very disappointed with their Hi-def support up to this point.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
The MI-3 on HD DVD has some rather cool video commentary though that the Blu-ray version doesn't have. It's pretty interesting seeing and hearing J.J. Abrams and Tom Cruise discuss the film....:)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Trek and Indy would be fantastic, though it'll probably be a few years before we see the later.

Besides those & OUATITW, rounding out the top of my Paramount Hi-Def wishlist would be The Godfather, Godfather II, Chinatown, Apocalypse Now & Braveheart.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

I think TREK movies are closer than INDY, but who knows hmm, next year before INDY4 premiere, they can GENERATE big buzz with relasing INDY TRILOGY ;) or they will wait few months and make a package with Indy4 FALL/WINTER 2008, maybe hmm

Marek

Michael Flynn

Stunt Coordinator
If and when I have HD-DVD/Blu-Ray, TRADING PLACES is mine. My favorite 80's Murphy movie. But where's 48 HRS. in HD/SE? And HD BEVERLY HILLS COP?

In terms of Paramount HD wants for that day (excluding Spielberg titles):

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST
CHINATOWN
GODFATHER I/II
THE ELEPHANT MAN
THE NAKED GUN (with new extras, the TV scenes especially)
PLANES, TRAINS, AND AUTOMOBILES (ditto...my favorite comedy)
ZODIAC (almost a given)
THE UNTOUCHABLES
THE WARRIORS
TEAM AMERICA: WORLD POLICE
SOUTH PARK: BIGGER, LONGER, AND UNCUT
STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN
STAR TREK IV: THE VOYAGE HOME
THE TRUMAN SHOW

And COLLATERAL, AMERICAN BEAUTY, GLADIATOR, ROAD TO PERDITION, and OLD SCHOOL from DreamWorks.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I would rather have Paramount not flood the market with titles yet. These dudes are still using DVD quality soundtracks on many of their titles!!

Flags of Our Fathers in... Dolby Digital!!?? The Blu-ray could easily have a PCM track if they don't have TrueHD or DTS MA encoders yet! If it's a BD-50 then even 24 bit PCM is doable.

Dan

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Good point. Can HD DVD also accept a PCM track?

The more I really think about HD DVD & Blu-ray too, the more I think we were probably a year away from this being a better launch for both. On the one hand, we get very nice image with 1080p that does seem to push the envelope about as far as they can. (give or take a few exceptions)...but with the audio on these (and alot of these are superior for sure! :))...still seems like we aren't getting what we could.

I know that is for another thread entirely.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

However, since I went front projection a few years ago, Image has evolved in being a tad more important to me overall, but I still want the best audio a format can offer.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks