What's new

Paramount: Perhaps a new poll is in order? (1 Viewer)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Seeing what a wonderful win-win opportunity Paramount, and specifically Martin Blythe, provided us last year by soliciting our input for future "B" releases, I think it is an idea worth repeating. Especially since there is now a large number of titles that had not been considered previously.
I'm speaking specifically of properties from Viacom Enterprises (pre-Paramount merger, such as classic TV shows and telefilms, the Terrytoons library), Worldvision/Spelling/Republic Pictures, and from CBS Enterprises. True, many of these are already tied up in existing contracts, but as many of these expire and the rights revert, I'm sure Paramount would like to know which of these should be "fast-tracked" onto DVD, since these combined assets are almost as large as what Paramount already owns.
Therefore, if the powers that be agree, I think another poll should be conducted. In fairness to the previous poll, this one should be restricted to titles that did not finish on that list. That list is easily available via search, and Mr. Blythe has made it clear that they are being considered and researched. (Yes, that means I will not be shilling for the same stuff I always do, you'll be relieved to know. ;) ) This new poll should concentrate on the above new properties, the better to know what we value. Remember, Paramount sped up BETTER OFF DEAD precisely because we alerted them, so this can perform a similar service.
Here then are some examples of what we would be voting on. (These are not my personal choices for such a poll, just a look at what these combined libraries include)
Betty Boop cartoons
Terrytoons (Mighty Mouse, Heckyll and Jeckyll, Deputy Dawg)
THE INVADERS tv series
BOUND
TWIN PEAKS (pilot episode, remaining shows)
THE MONSTER SQUAD
COME BACK TO THE FIVE AND DIME, JIMMY DEAN JIMMY DEAN
THE MISSILES OF OCTOBER
SATAN'S SCHOOL FOR GIRLS
THE BOY IN THE PLASTIC BUBBLE
LITTLE BIG MAN
THE TWILIGHT ZONE (original and '80's revival)
GET SMART tv series
WAKE OF THE RED WITCH
HIGH RISK
HANGAR 18
PERRY MASON tv series
ANDY GRIFFITH tv series
THE STAND miniseries

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mark,

I have both "The Missles of October" and "Wake of the Red Witch" dvds for quite a long time. Last week, while browsing through Best Buy I saw at least 2-3 copies of "The Missles of October" on sale for a good price.

Crawdaddy

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
The list is supposed to be a cross-section of what they now own, not just a list of stuff unavailable. I put those two on it because their current incarnations are a wee bit sparse, and could benefit from a nice Paramount-style special edition treatment.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mark,

I don't believe Paramount has the rights to both of those films any longer.

Crawdaddy

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Artisan owns the rights to the excellent The Stand miniseries, and they have already released a wonderful DVD of it which I own.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Grease!
If Martin were not aware of the demand for a Grease DVD, Paramount would probably demote him to the mail room. :) IIRC, he even specifically excluded some of the obvious titles like Grease and Beverly Hills Cop when he initiated the previous poll.
Regards,

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I strongly second Little Big Man!
(I already have the '60s Twilight series, what's that about an '80s revival?)
Cees

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Okay, we're a year later, and while some of the previously existing contracts are still in effect, they are winding down. Artisan has already publicly insisted they no longer have an option on the TWIN PEAKS series (or at least hinted they will not offer the second season anytime soon), for example.

As stated in another thread, requests work best when they are informed requests. Therefore, I'll provide what references I can, but be brief to avoid taxing patiences.

The following requests are titles copyrighted to Viacom Enterprises. Some have been previously released on other labels, as noted above, but were very bare-bones editions.

COME BACK TO THE FIVE AND DIME, JIMMY DEAN JIMMY DEAN

HIGH RISK

THE MISSILES OF OCTOBER

PARIS TROUT

VISIT TO A SMALL PLANET

Terrytoons -- Mighty Mouse, Heckyll and Jeckyll, Deputy Dawg

The following requests are titles from the combined Worldvision/Taft Broadcasting/Spelling/Republic libraries. Again, some are available, but have left much to be desired, either in terms of content or picture quality.

THE BOY IN THE PLASTIC BUBBLE

SATAN'S SCHOOL FOR GIRLS (original TV movie)

DAWN, PORTRAIT OF A TEENAGE RUNAWAY

THE INVADERS tv series

GET SMART tv series

THE MONSTER SQUAD

LIGHT OF DAY

HANGAR 18

BOUND

THE QUIET MAN (fans agree the Artisan disc is a disappointment)

WAKE OF THE RED WITCH

Betty Boop cartoons

And these are requests from the CBS library:

PRIME CUT

SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE

PERRY MASON tv series

WILD WILD WEST tv series

That's my part to start discussion. Who would like to add on. Remember, a quick trip to the imdb for a distributor/syndicator search will help give you footing.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
THE QUIET MAN (fans agree the Artisan disc is a disappointment)
HTF understatement of the year! :D
Shocking, amateurish transfer of an genuine American classic. :angry: :thumbsdown:
Is Fred Dekker's, THE MONSTER SQUAD owned by Paramount? Wow, I didn't know that! Gem of horror film - a great love-letter to the classic Universal horror films of the 40s. Highly requested cult title.
The main Paramount-owned title for me at present is Billy Wilder's amazing 1951 classic, ACE IN THE HOLE. After MGM's superb new Wilder titles, I'm chomping at the bit for Kirk as Chuck Tatum! :D
Great stuff.
Gordy

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I still won't believe "The Monster Squad" is a Paramount title until Martin says so himself. (But if it is, I vote for that one to get a proper DVD release!)

I want "Brain Donors".....please?

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
I still won't believe "The Monster Squad" is a Paramount title until Martin says so himself. (But if it is, I vote for that one to get a proper DVD release!)
Yes, a Special Edition for Monster Squad, please. Audio commentary with the director. Audio commentary with the kids, now grown up. Stan Winston interviews, etc. I also know someone who has (what might be) the only Monster Squad site on the net. He has plenty of posters, and other rare Monster Squad artwork, should Paramount (or whichever company that owns it) would like to include a still gallery. I'm sure my friend would be more than happy to let them use items for a disc.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
With your indulgence, please, let us confine requests on this thread to non-Paramount films that Paramount now controls -- i.e., Republic, Viacom, CBS, and miscellaneous side stuff. There have been enough threads pushing for the same Paramount-proper titles again and again.

The purpose of me starting this thread is to help Martin sort through a very large volume of titles that Paramount has inherited, in order to prioritize things like remasters, reissues, and new releases. He's reasonably abreast on stuff that Paramount itself made.

The chain of ownership says that Paramount SHOULD now own THE MONSTER SQUAD, but yes, it wouldn't be firm until it is confirmed by the man himself.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
My vote goes to Nicholas Ray's JOHNNY GUITAR. It's part of the Republic library. I'm not sure why Artisan never got around to it, it's one of their best...

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Okay...one year from now all the ties to Artisan will be over, and Paramount will have full control of the Republic library. If there was ever a good time to start suggesting what titles should be put into development, this is it. If taken into consideration in the next couple months, Paramount could have the first batch ready as soon as early 2005. (That is, unless of course they've secretly already started working on some, which would be even better)

My above suggestions still stand. Everyone, please stick to the Republic (Worldvision/Spelling), Viacom, and CBS properties please -- actual Paramount movies are plenty accounted for in other threads.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956, Don Siegel) in it's original 1.37:1 aspect ratio with digital picture and sound clean-up a la Sunset Blvd.
Extras would be good. An audio commentary by Stuart Kaminsky (Siegel biographer) and Kevin McCarthy would be great.
Don't transfer at 2.00:1 - go back to the negative and transfer at 1.33-37:1 - and maybe we can finanlly see it as Siegel and Ellsworth Fredericks intended us to see it! :)
Also:
Ace in the Hole
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Please! :)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
As far as Republic properties, I hope Paramount will do right by the following:
* I also support a proper 1.37:1 transfer of the 1956 version of INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, as described above.
* A real restoration of THE QUIET MAN to its original Technicolor brilliance.
* These "Film Noir" faves:
THE GREAT FLAMARION (1945, a better print than VCI's recent DVD-R)
DARK MIRROR (1946)
MOONRISE (1948)
PITFALL (1948)
SECRET BEYOND THE DOOR (1948)
HOUSE BY THE RIVER (1950)
TRY AND GET ME (1951, aka THE SOUND OF FURY)
BEWARE MY LOVELY (1952)
THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS (1953)
JENNIFER (1953)
PRIVATE HELL 36 (1954)
RIOT IN CELL BLOCK 11 (1954)
SHACK OUT ON 101 (1955)
FINGER MAN (1955)
CRASHOUT (1955)
* These three classic Republic serials:
FIGHTING DEVIL DOGS (1938)
DAREDEVILS OF THE RED CIRCLE (1939)
SPY SMASHER (1942)
* These other films presumably controlled by Republic:
THE LADY & THE MONSTER (1944)
THE CHEATERS (1945)
MR. PEABODY & THE MERMAID (1948)
FAIR WIND TO JAVA (1953)
TOBOR THE GREAT (1954)
A MAN ALONE (1955)
HIGH SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL! (1958)
THE BEAT GENERATION (1959)
GIRLS TOWN (1959)
* Classic cartoon collections (similar to Warner's LOONEY TUNES GOLDEN COLLECTION and the DISNEY TREASURES line) of Fleischer Studios' BETTY BOOP, TALKARTOONS, COLOR CLASSICS[/b], SCREEN SONGS, GABBY cartoons, STONE AGE cartoons, GULLIVER'S TRAVELS (1939), HOPPITY GOES TO TOWN (1941), the 2-reel cartoon specials RAGGEDY ANN & RAGGEDY ANDY (1941) and THE RAVEN (1942), plus Republic's non-Fleischer cartoons IT'S A GRAND OLD NAG (1947) and the JERKY JOURNEYS series.
Thanks again for your time & attention.
-Peter M Fitzgerald

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks