What's new

Paramount -- LADIES AND GENTLEMEN THE FABULOUS STAINS (1 Viewer)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Martin, thank you for the encouraging news. If you have chance to speak to this fellow fan, or, more appropriately, if this fan has a chance to speak with his insider at Paramount, try to let them know that there is a major television personality ready to devote his time (at no charge) to collecting interviews, commentary, and offering critical evaluation on this film.:D Namely, me. Arguably, there may be other people out there who know the movie and it's side stories better than me, but they haven't come forward. I'm here now, ready to get involved. In short, Corrine Burns may not put out, but I will. ;)

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Edward,

That would be soooo cool. If Paramount could use yourself, and Sarah Jacobsen to get together on this project. However, I think they will need to sought out the clearance issues before anything else.

I'm hopeful that Martin Blythe and Paramount will see this thread and hopefully when the time comes for this film to be released on DVD (probably not soon due to the clearance complications) they will call on yourself and Sarah Jacobson to get involved. Who knows maybe Lou Adler, Nancy Dowd, Diane Lane, etc would get involved as well!

In the meantime, we will have to be satisfied that Paramount are aware of this films popularity and I'm sure will release it on DVD if and when they can. Fingers crossed!

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Sorry Mark, I called you Edward in my last post. Apologies.

I have forwarded a link to this thread to Paramount, so that they will know of yours and Sarah Jacobsen's interest in helping with a DVD.

I think it is important we don't get too excited yet though. Paramount do wonderful jobs on their DVD's, but the clearances may take some time to sort out and even then there are no guarantees despite the films popularity.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Hi Guys,

I had a reply from Martin Blythe himself re "...Stains". He confirmed pretty much what we know already within this thread. i.e. the film has alot of clearance issues and problems. He went onto say that it is unlikely Paramount will be visiting this title anytime soon. He did not say whether work was being done in sorting out these issues.

Mark, Martin Blythe has noted you and Sarah Jacobsen's interest in contributing IF and WHEN a "...Stains" DVD becomes a reality. Sorry, that this news is not very positive, but it does confirm that we will not be seeing it 2002 at least. But rest assured Paramount (and indeed Mr Blythe personally) does know of the interest in this film, and the contributions fans are willing to make.

Mark, I have a couple of other questions if you don't mind.

1. Do you know what the original budget was for "..Stains" or "All Washed Up" as it was known in it's original guise?

2. Is "..Stains" mentioned on the Paramount DVD of "Up In Smoke"? In the Lou Adler commentary perhaps?

3. Lastly, I guess there is really nothing else we can do about a Paramount DVD release is there? The clearance issues are something only Paramount can sort out, so I guess we just have to be patient.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
It's perfectly reasonable and logical that we cannot expect STAINS this year. I had personally estimated autumn of next year if we were lucky. In fact, that would be better, in that it would give more time to put together a good supplementary package, on an independent or studio-sanctioned basis. When the clearances prove cost-effective (Lane and Winstone's popularity in video sales, high profile demand from fans, etc), Paramount will do the right thing.

In response to your questions:

1. Nothing I have found in my research has indicated an actual budget. Nancy Dowd had a 2-script commission assignment at Paramount as a result of SLAP SHOT's success when ALL WASHED UP was written and optioned. The choice of original director Jonathan Kaplan, who made OVER THE EDGE for a reasonably small sum at the then-new Orion company, indicated the aspirations were probably small at first. But when Lou Adler chose to direct it (over AIRPLANE, which he was also offered), the combination of UP IN SMOKE's huge returns and his influence (through his rock clubs and record label) could have increased the budget. UP IN SMOKE had a low budget and wound up with a $100 million+ return, so the prevailing thought was that as long as he stayed low, the film was guaranteed to turn a profit. They were wrong, obviously.

2. There is not one reference to STAINS anywhere in the Adler commentary track on the UP IN SMOKE DVD. Perhaps due to the chummy reminiscences being shared with Cheech Marin the subject of other directorial outings never came up.

3. The only thing we can do at this time is to show there is a fanbase for this film that will spend money on it. And that can be done in various ways. For example, fans living in cities with repertory movie houses can badger those theatres into booking the film (there is currently one playable print in the U.S.), as I did at the Nuart last year. But then make sure the film draws a crowd and makes money for the theatre and Paramount by spreading the word of mouth.

One could also start a fansite on the web, and inform Paramount if it attracts a significant number of hits. Linking it to popular sites of similar subject matter (riot grrl music, cult movies, etc) is a good way to draw the uninformed. Paramount's reluctance at this time is also a matter of consumer awareness: are there enough people out there who have heard of the film to make it worth pressing mass quantities and selling them.

Another idea (for the more moneyed and entrepreneurial) would be to license merchandising rights to elements of the film. Make T-shirts, dolls, posters, and such. This kind of third party promotion goes on often, and if Paramount begins to see revenue from someone else's initiative at marketing a previously dead property, it will put the bug in their head to make the movie available.

Hope that answers everyone's questions.

Finally, I thought I'd post something to build a dream on. I THOUGHT I would, but apparently I can't upload stuff from my hard drive here. Anyone tell me how I can send my prototype so that people reading this thread can see it? I tried the vB linking, but I don't think it worked because my art is not web-based.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
The shame is that Diane Lane, Ray Winstone and the whole "..Stains" thing have never been bigger than they are now.

I remember seeing this cool movie eons ago. It was cool then and it seems even cooler now. I have always seen it's unfortunate history as kinda mystical. It almost adds to it's appeal, and I'm still to this day baffled as to why Paramount buried the film.

Eitherway, an OFFICIAL DVD release of "LAG:TFS" would be very welcome sometime in the near future.

ciao, Ricky

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Have any of you guys seen the Sarah Jacobson short "Ladies And Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains: Behind The Movie"?

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure how much point there is to this. But this is what I'd LOVE to see on a DVD of "...Stains".

"Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains" UNCUT version in remastered anamorphic widescreen 1.85:1 aspect ratio (enhanced for widescreen TV's) and remastered Dolby Digital audio.

Audio commentary with director Lou Adler, writer Nancy Dowd, "Stains" fans/historians Sarah Jacobson and Mark Edward Heuck, and other participants.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains: Behind the Movie", the acclaimed 12 minute 1999 documentary made by Sarah Jacobson and Sam Green. The documentary includes interviews with stars Diane Lane, Christine Lahti, Debbie Rochon, and also Paul Cook and Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols, Fee Waybill of the Tubes, and director Lou Adler and writer Nancy Dowd.

"The Professionals", complete music video as seen over the films closing credit sequence.

The films unused theatrical trailer and promotional artwork.

What would you guys like to see on the DVD (If or when it arrives)? Please POST your ideas.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Well, you've covered the bulk of what I'd like to see. I have a sneaky suspicion a trailer was never made for the movie though, in which case if I get to work on the project (hint ;) ) I would love to make one from scratch; something that could be used in the future as a cross-plug on other Paramount DVD's and on the internet.
To your generally thorough list of supplements I would add:
Missing scenes from it's prerelease incarnations as ALL WASHED UP and THE PROFESSIONALS. It would be asking way too much to have the scenes via seamless branching, but if any of the footage exists, especially the original "unhappy ending" from the Seattle test screeing, it would greatly enrich the viewer as to how different the film was at one time. Maybe the title treatments or prelim ad artwork when those titles were under serious consideration.
As documented by Jacobsen and verified by me, Dowd and Adler would prefer not to be in each other's company. But if both of them are allowed separately to speak their peace in full, and those comments could be edited into a "face off," either in audio commentary or video supplement, that would be a tremendous idea. It would lend a sort of "Rashomon"/"Behind the Music" feel, the drama behind the drama.
An isolated music score, since there has never been a commercial release of the excellent soundtrack.
While I like the idea of a textless version of the Stains music video, I would really like to see any performance footage of the real Professionals. Paul Cook and Steve Jones, along with former Bow Wow Wow members, did record an album and some singles for Virgin as The Professionals, including a fierce version of "Join the Professionals." If any clips of this exist, perhaps from Top of the Pops, that should be on there as well.
Audio commentary should not be limited to just the principals. I'm sure any number of great female rockers and writers would love to chime in on the impact of this film. This was one of the things I liked about the OP Criterion SID & NANCY commentary, having journalists and scenesters who actually lived during the time chiming in on the film's depiction of said events.
Finally, I would just love to have some cool cross-plug trailers for similar Paramount music/youth films -- BREAKING GLASS, AMERICAN HOT WAX, LITTLE DARLINGS, THE WARRIORS, etc.
Eh, a man can dream, can't he?

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
What do "stars" like Diane Lane and Laura Dern now think of this film? I believe this was documented by Sarah Jacobson wasn't it?

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Martin, You should write E! and try to get them to do a True Hollywood Story about the picture. Maybe that would generate studio interest.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I would suspect it would be a better subject for VH-1's BEHIND THE MUSIC, especially since that channel has actually run the movie a couple times. Not to mention VH-1 is, like Paramount, owned by Viacom. People love corporate synergy!

Trevor Bateman

Stunt Coordinator
O.K. guys. How do we go about doing this and raising awareness of this great movie? We know that we have a core "cult" fanbase but how do we practically go about making it "mainstream"?

Who would have addresses for E!, VH1 "Behind The Music"? Maybe the movie and entertainment magazines like Entertainment Weekly, Movieline, Premiere, Empire, etc etc would be interested in doing something on the film?

Let's seriously consider how we can do this!

Especially considering how much it's popularity has grown. We should NOT let this film go unreleased forever.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
I'm with you guys. Let's do this. I know soooo many people who would love this film in a quality official DVD or even VHS release.

What do we do now?

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Well, if you live in the greater Illinois area, you can bring all your friends to a rare theatrical screening of THE FABULOUS STAINS, which will be at Landmark's Century Centre theatre at midnight on August 31st. If there is a significant audience at this performance, that will be a good sign to all involved that there is an audience for this movie.

Remember, the studio must believe that it is cost-effective to spend the money to release a rare title. So this is a perfect opportunity to vote with your wallet.

Trevor Bateman

Stunt Coordinator
Best of luck with the screening tomorrow!

And don't forget to attend if you can - the more people who are aware of this title - the more people will see how great it is - the more people who will be interested in picking up the DVD - the better the chance of Paramount releasing it.

Let's get this film out there.

Mark, any luck with getting your fab artwork up?

Is this the artwork being used to promote the screening?

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
This is my dream for 2003:
STAINScoverpage2copy.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks