Paramount John Wayne films...delayed?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by jim_falconer, May 8, 2006.

1. jim_falconer

jim_falconer Supporting Actor

Can anyone verify if the following seven John Wayne films, that were suppose to be released on May 23rd, has been delayed? And if so, why...and when is the new release date?

War Of The Wildcats
    Wake Of The Red Witch / Night Riders
    New Frontier 1935 / New Frontier 1939
    Red River Range / Three Texas Steers

Thanks...

2. Darrell Bratz

Darrell Bratz Stunt Coordinator

Not looking good, is it?

I was waiting for several other of their Republic catalog releases this month - Letter From An Unknown Woman, Secret Beyond the Door - there's three or four others in addition to the Wayne's. They all look like they'll be no-shows.

Paramount did something similar in March - the first dip into the Republic holdings that I noticed was an announced March release of the '70 Julius Caesar with Charlton Heston. That didn't appear either, with no delay or cancel notice. Looks like the same thing here. I notice Paramount have some more of these scheduled for July, including Johnny Guitar. So what do we bet the exact same thing happens in July?

In short, what's up with Paramount and their Republic catalog?

3. PatWahlquist

PatWahlquist Supporting Actor

I noticed this about two weeks ago on Paramounts retailer site. I have emailed two of my contacts at Paramount for clarification as to if and why they were pulled. So far, no response, and I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Also missing from the Paramount retailer site are there first three HD-DVD titles. This is going to make it a very slim summer for product from Paramount since they are dropping their new releases of catalog titles and putting out a ton of repacks.

4. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

I wasn't given a reason but I did receive an email from my contact at Paramount which said All Republic Catalog titles are On Hold.

This was in regards to their May slate. Not sure about the summer stuff.

5. jim_falconer

Thanks for the information Mark...maybe it's because Universal and Warners are releasing John Wayne box sets around the same time, and Paramount would rather not have the competition.

6. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I find that Paramount is just incredibly clueless as to marketing and releasing films. They could have done so much better with their '05 Wayne catalogue had they packaged his films thematicaly into well priced box sets and put a little bit of promotion into the releases. But instead they just flooded us with dozens of individual discs in the most hideous packaging Ive yet to see for any major film star or studio for that matter, and put no effort into marketing at all. The only thing I'm surprised they missed was their usual nauseating reissue branding in the vein of "The Wayneiest Western Collection" or something equally retarded. I've been really dissapointed with Paramount and their handling of these films. Lately, theyve been just as bad as Sony with their lack of interesting new releases and pointless reissues of the same post 80s titles. I honestly can't remember the last Paramount DVD I purchsed...

7. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I didn't see any Republic titles listed anymore in their press schedule for June. I wonder what is going on.

8. LaurenceGarvey

LaurenceGarvey Second Unit

It's disappointing to me that, after Artisan did so little with the Republic catalog, Paramount's initial foray into the material has been delayed. And where th' hell are the serials? If Paramount wants to release Three Mesquiteers films, fine, but put serial chapters on the darn things, too, at the very least.

9. JohnPM

JohnPM Second Unit

10. PatWahlquist

PatWahlquist Supporting Actor

Paramount confirmed with me today that they had in fact pulled the Wayne titles, but they gave me no reason. They did say they will be coming out at a later date.

They have also postponed their first 3 HD DVD titles.

11. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    Where is The Quiet Man in all this?

12. Roger_S

Roger_S Stunt Coordinator

Hopefully undergoing a restoration process...

13. jim_falconer

Now that Universal and Paramount's John Wayne boxset have been out for around a month...any update from Paramount on these previously mentioned titles?

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    All indications are that it does not need a restoration, just a decent video mastering from an appropriate source element.

Regards,

15. ted:r

ted:r Second Unit

16. jim_falconer

Just recieved this email from DDD, regarding these Paramount releases:

"Our records indicate that the following item(s):

DVD : WAR OF WILDCATS
    DVD : RED RIVER RANGE/THREE TE
    DVD : NEW FRONTIER(1935)/NEW F
    DVD : WAKE OF RED WITCH/NIGHT

are expected to be available on 09/01/06. The release date of the above items have been rescheduled by Paramount. We apologize for this delay and will ship this item as soon as it arrives into stock."

17. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Hello, all. I have a question about "Big Jake" ('71) and didn't want to start a thread with several Wayne threads here.

The question is about which DVD release is an anamorphic release for this film. I have the DVD that has the picture of the Duke on the front with the pistol touching his lower chin. It's a Widescreen release with the blue-colored stripe at the top of the front cover (highliting the "Widescreen Collection" type). This DVD states (on the back cover) that it's 16:9 Enhanced for WS TV. However, it doesn't say that it's an anamorphic release.

The other version (listed at Amazon) has a different front cover picture with a release date of 04/29/03 and states that it is an anamorphic release. Is there someone here that has what I assume to be the earlier release version (with the blue stripe at the top)? Is that release also anamorphic?

18. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Ordinarily, enhanced for 16x9 televisions is another way of saying anamorphic (said to be less confusing to the consumer by some marketers).

19. mdnitoil

mdnitoil Supporting Actor

Scott
    Both releases are anamorphic. They are, in fact, identical with Paramount merely reissuing the original disk with new cover art.

20. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Scott, Thanks for the info! That keeps me from double-dipping on this one.

Paul Thanks! I was guessing that "Enhanced for 16:9 TV's" is the same thing as an anomorphic release but wasn't 100% sure.