What's new

Paramount-How about a look at 3 Oscar LEADING LADIES from the 1950's (1 Viewer)

FrankXS

Second Unit
Paramount ! Now that you have scheduled the Greatest Show on Earth for DVD release, why not bring out the three Oscar performances by Leading Actress you have from the 1950's ?

Grace Kelly in The Country Girl
Shirley Booth in Come Back Little Sheba
Anna Magnani in The Rose Tattoo

Also votes for RAGTIME/REDS/SAVE THE TIGER/LADY SINGS THE BLUES/DAY OF THE LOCUSTS

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Would be interested in all 3 DVDs especially Come Back Little Sheba.

I know this isn't really related, so forgive me. Do we know when Paramount will release "I Married a Witch"? The Rene Clair film from 1942, with Veronica Lake, Fred March and Cecil Kellaway? Anyone know what the heck I'm talking about?...

I'm so alone.

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
Great list. Happy that Frank brings these 3 up.

Shirley Booth's performance in Come Back Little Sheba is just one the most incredible and memorable Oscar winning performances, so high on my list. Just thinking of her performance makes me tear up. I've been waiting in particular for this one to get a DVD release, but I look forward to all 3 as well.

Also Sophia Loren in Two Women...this one is not Paramount, just wanted to mention it anyway...

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I'm foaming at the mouth over The Rose Tattoo
WE could also use Sophia Loren in two of Paramounts best - Desire Under the Elms and It Started in Naples- a wonderful comedy.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I love this little film. I'd buy a DVD of it in a NY minute. I've had a Laserdisc of it for years. :D

BryanV

Stunt Coordinator
Funny thing, one of my most anticeapated non announced films is Teachers Pet. It also was released by Paramount and also stars a great leading lady of the 50's: Doris Day.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I think Universal holds the rights of I married a witch. It's a grest movie and I'm really waiting for it to come out on dvd. Country Girl is another movie I can't understand the reason it still remains unreleased.
From Paramount in the 50's I'd like to see Let's Dance (Betty Hutton/Fred Astaire), Elephant Walk (Elizabeth Taylor, Dana Andrews, Peter Finch) and Red Garters (Rosemary Clooney).

Barrie Maxwell

Stunt Coordinator
I believe it's Warners that has the rights to I Married a Witch. At least, they issued it on tape and perhaps LD.

Barrie

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Interestingly, I MARRIED A WITCH was actually made by Paramount! Their 1942 release schedule turned out to be too heavy and they sold off some pictures that ended up going out through UA. WITCH was one of them. (I believe TO BE OR NOT TO BE was another). So the query wasn't far off!

Charles H

Screenwriter
WB released a decent tape of I MARRIED A WITCH several years ago. I believe the print came from Castle Hill films that owned I MARRIED A WITCH and TO BE OR NOT TO BE. These and several terrific Walter Wanger productions (LONG VOYAGE HOME, Hitchcock's FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT, Borzage's HISTORY IS MADE AT NIGHT) were all released on tape. Only STAGECOACH -- a Wanger production from a Castle Hill print--has been released on video. Lubitsch's TO BE OR NOT TO BE on dvd--with an audio commentary by the late Robert Stack--is now a missed opportunity.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I have "I MARRIED A WITCH" on Laserdisc. The company that released it on LD was Lightning Video. The LD jacket also lists a 1942 UA copyright.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks