What's new

Paramount Celebrates Centennial with contest and a PEEK at new Blu-rays on the way..... (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by JoHud

I don't mind film companies passing off other studio acquisitions as part of their own, especially if it means getting a classic out there. I'm sure Warner Bros. will include a few MGM releases during its next anniversary. Actually, I wish Universal would get some of its relatively stagnant Paramount holdings moving, especially since both company's are celebrating their 100th.

Actually anything that Warner has done in the past to celebrate their studio has not included any of the MGM, RKO, or Monogram titles and Universal hasn't either. Hondo is a good solid picture and deserves a Blu-ray transfer, but do as a celebration of John Wayne not Paramount. Really, Paramount didn't even release it to theatres as a re-issue and only obtained control 6 six years ago through a bid process with the Wayne Estate. In the poll for the next Blu from Paramount both Hatari and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance was listed several times as wants.

Universal and Paramount should have gotten together and worked on some from of celebration to include the titles that Universal owns.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Really? Good to know. I guess it all comes down to corporate identity, where some are conscious of what the original studio released, or just considers anything the company owns as a "Paramount" or "MGM" picture. It is a bit annoying to in MGM's case to rarely mention United Artists by name in press releases, though perhaps because the acquisition was through a merger of the two companies that MGM is often suppose to be synonymous with U/A.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
So, we're only getting 12 catalog titles from Paramount in 2012?

too bad none of thoses titles interests me

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Something tells me Paramount is going to end up with
a high note before the year is out.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
John Hermes said:
You are right about HONDO. Strange choice for Paramount. I would rather see . . . BLUE HAWAII (and G.I. BLUES, GIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS, FUN IN ACAPULCO, and ROUSTABOUT for that matter).
Girls, Girls, Girls on my DVD is a grainstorm and is close to unwatchable. It did not look like that when first shown in theaters. If Paramount go back to the OCN and produce a really clean-looking BRD, I'll buy it in a flash. Stella Stevens in high definition! I'm delighted about Hondo. I didn't expect that at all.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I interviewed Andrea Kalas - VP of Archives at Paramount - about the restoration work done on Wings and I asked about other projects that the team is working on. She didn't reveal any titles but said that they were keeping very busy. Add to that the interview last year with Ron Smith from Paramount who teased about some incredible and highly desired titles (not all of which I was allowed to print) and I think you will find 2012 will include more gems than are announced in this press release!

It's going to be a good year!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Hondo was produced by Batjac. Although I do not know if I will ever have a TV that will be able to play it, it would be great if they would include both the 3D and the 2D versions of Hondo in the release. Also Paramount, if you release Batjac's The High and the Mighty, please put an isolated score on it. Most of the time, I would never listen to an isolated score, but that is one film that really deserves it (and was conspicuously absent from the two disk DVD otherwise loaded with special features).

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Well, one big one that I forgot about from Paramount that has yet to see a BRD release is the Indiana Jones movies. Those have not been mentioned in a while, but we "know" they were held back a year so not to compete with Star Wars. Stands to reason they would be included as part of the centennial release.

They BETTER not be reissuing the Godfather movies with anything more that a repackage of the art. I just bought those in June and dread the thought of having to double dip, given how expensive the set was.

Beyond that and what has been announced... we're guessing.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The Indiana Jones films are owned by Lucasfilm, not Paramount, so it's not up to Paramount to make that call.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Neil Middlemiss

I interviewed Andrea Kalas - VP of Archives at Paramount - about the restoration work done on Wings and I asked about other projects that the team is working on. She didn't reveal any titles but said that they were keeping very busy. Add to that the interview last year with Ron Smith from Paramount who teased about some incredible and highly desired titles (not all of which I was allowed to print) and I think you will find 2012 will include more gems than are announced in this press release!

It's going to be a good year!

Yes it will be. There are some A list titles that haven't been officially announced that we will see this year...

Robin9 said:
Girls, Girls, Girls on my DVD is a grainstorm and is close to unwatchable. It did not look like that when first shown in theaters. If Paramount go back to the OCN and produce a really clean-looking BRD, I'll buy it in a flash. Stella Stevens in high definition! I'm delighted about Hondo. I didn't expect that at all.
Back in my film collecting days, I had a 35mm IB Technicolor print of GGG (along with nine other Elvis films). The color and deep Technicolor contrast (and fine grain) were just outstanding. The blue Hawaiian water was about as blue as you can put on film, and the blacks, like Elvis' all black outfit on the boat, were rich and perfect. The Paramount Elvis DVDs, other than EASY COME, EASY GO and maybe PARADISE HAWAIIAN STYLE looked like they were down a couple generations. The MGM stuff put out by Warners looks great, but we've only seen VIVA LAS VEGAS of his 1960s films in Blu-ray. Bring on Elvis and John Wayne in Blu, Paramount!!

EdG

Stunt Coordinator
ahollis said:
LOL - 100 years of Paramount and we get Warner Brothers HONDO on Blu-ray.  I think they need to look and see who made it.  If they wanted to do a John Wayne title, I would have rather have THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER, HATARI, DONOVAN'S REEF, THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE or EL DORADO.  I also feel the same way about CLUELESS and CLUE as others do.  Let's have SUNSET BOULEVARD, BLUE HAWAII, GUNFIGHT AT OK CORRAL and THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH. 
I was a bit surprised that Hatari (50th anniversary) and Gunfight at OK Corral (55th anniversary) were not mentioned. I hope that maybe these films are some of the titles Adam is referring to. I figure Joe and Robert are right in saying more Duke is coming and I am happy to see Hondo being released on Blu this summer. I would probably buy Blue Hawaii too if it were announced.

Real Name
Anthony
Just today, I've read reliable reports that Paramount has ROSEMARY'S BABY, CATCH ME IF YOU CAN and ZOOLANDER on their slate for this year (in the UK).

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I have to say Paramount's 100 is disappointing. Yes, Wings, To Catch a Thief and Chinatown are welcome releases. But Hondo? Which WAS originally released by Warner instead of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance or his last film The Shootist? Or what about Hatari? There are countless Paramount titles I am craving on Blu ray; Hud, Gunfight at the OK Corral, Roman Holiday, Nashville, A Place in the Sun, Terms of Endearment, Rosemarys Baby, Stalag 17, Ordinary People, Heaven Can Wait, Serpico etc. I know Clue has its cult following, but common. It is your 100th Anniversary Paramount, show some pride in your history like Universal is doing. Now THEY know how to celebrate a 100 year milestone.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Bradley-E said:
I have to say Paramount's 100 is disappointing. Yes, Wings, To Catch a Thief and Chinatown are welcome releases. But Hondo? Which WAS originally released by Warner instead of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance or his last film The Shootist? Or what about Hatari? There are countless Paramount titles I am craving on Blu ray; Hud, Gunfight at the OK Corral, Roman Holiday, Nashville, A Place in the Sun, Terms of Endearment, Rosemarys Baby, Stalag 17, Ordinary People, Heaven Can Wait, Serpico etc. I know Clue has its cult following, but common. It is your 100th Anniversary Paramount, show some pride in your history like Universal is doing. Now THEY know how to celebrate a 100 year milestone.
NOW DON'T BE PUTTING DOWN MY "CLUE" MAN!!!! :D Doug

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
In Charlotte, it was part of the advertising that individual theaters displayed the ending code in newspaper ads. They were Ending A, Ending B, Ending C. I have always preferred Ending A and hated Ending C.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I'm quite surprised (and disappointed) that one of the studios top money-makers has not been recognized in this celebration. Every film he made for the studio turned a profit. Not only that, he's still alive! Excuse me, Paramount. Remember a guy named Jerry Lewis???

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks