What's new

Paramount Archive Tour and lunch with the Home Video Team (1 Viewer)

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I was very impressed with all the props we where able to see. Storing all the items from these movies has to take up a lot of room. I also was impressed with the verity not just superstar movies but even those not well accepted (i.e. GI Joe).

Here are some of the shots I took. This was one of my favorite stops on our journey

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by TravisR /t/325906/paramount-archive-tour-and-lunch-with-the-home-video-team/30#post_4014476
Just to clarify, they're at least contemplating releasing more F13s on Blu-ray?

I couldn't get anyone to come out and say that, but the fact I asked seemed to trigger some kind of lightbulb...like "we released three of these and nothing else; maybe we should look into it again." That's the sense I got of it anyway.

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
Paramount Studio was the highlight of our HTF trip for me. Like our last visit 5 years ago, Paramount did an excellent job hosting our group. For me, no other studio matched Paramount's hospitality and graciousness.
I enjoyed all aspects of our visit. Seeing the film negative vault with its collection of films and the archive with it's display of costumes and props was great. Having lunch with company executives and talking with them was truly remarkable. Like last time, I really enjoyed the tour of the lot. Going inside some of the sound stages was great. I had never been in one before and it was definitely "pinch me I can't believe it" territory. Seeing the preview of Jack Reacher was still another highlight.
The whole time we spent at the studio was truly memorable. Thanks, Paramount for once again giving us the perfect experience.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
Are there plans to do this again? We couldn't make this one, but I'd start planning and saving for the next one right now.
Sounds like it was a fantastic trip.
Anything we can do to extend a special thank you to Paramount for their hospitallity? Something that all members, including those of us who couldn't be there, can participate in? To let them know that their efforts were really appreciated and not taken for granted.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
I seriously don't understand the DVD-only release of Samson and Delilah Being a Cecil B. DeMille Biblical epic, I would have assumed the Blu treatment. Perhaps Paramount is taking the approach Warner did when they released Quo Vadis; they released a standard DVD in November 2008 and the Blu ray in March 2009; 5 months apart. But, that was 2008 and I do not at all understand Paramount's decision here. I would have thought that they would cater to classic films lovers in all formats to better recoup what had to be a costly restoration. Bottom line: I will not support this release UNLESS a Blu ray is offered.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
dmiller68 said:
I was very impressed with all the props we where able to see. Storing all the items from these movies has to take up a lot of room. I also was impressed with the verity not just superstar movies but even those not well accepted (i.e. GI Joe). 
Here are some of the shots I took. This was one of my favorite stops on our journey 
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/content/type/61/id/172123/width/350/height/700/flags/LL

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/content/type/61/id/172125/width/350/height/700/flags/LL

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/content/type/61/id/172126/width/350/height/700/flags/LL

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/content/type/61/id/172127/width/350/height/700/flags/LL

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/content/type/61/id/172129/width/350/height/700/flags/LL
Having seen the film can for When Worlds Collide in one of the pictures above, I'm inclined to ask if Paramount mentioned anything on a Technicolor restoration or Blu-Ray release of this title.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Lromero1396 said:
Having seen the film can for When Worlds Collide in one of the pictures above, I'm inclined to ask if Paramount mentioned anything on a Technicolor restoration or Blu-Ray release of this title.
When Worlds Collide has a high definition master up at amazon streaming, included free with Prime. It looks good! And this movie stands up pretty well, like some other Pal productions. I watched it with my daughter, and to my surprise she really liked it.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
benbess said:
When Worlds Collide has a high definition master up at amazon streaming, included free with Prime. It looks good! And this movie stands up pretty well, like some other Pal productions. I watched it with my daughter, and to my surprise she really liked it.
Did it appear to have those gorgeous 3-strip Technicolor hues or the more drab colors of an Eastman reissue print (Eastman would be similar in color to the DVD)?
EDIT:
I just took a look at it and the colors didn't look quite like 3-strip Technicolor in my opinion but it doesn't look too bad other than some registration problems causing color fringing due to misalignment of the 3-strip color records. Having never seen an original Technicolor print of this title, though, I'm not really one to judge.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
If the good folks at PARAMOUNT are reading this -- just a reminder -- we want a BLU-RAY of SAMSON AND DELILAH!!!! Thank you.

Frank Bidart

Premium
YES--to the good folks at Paramount who gave us the superb Blu-ray of "Sunset Boulevard" though the original negative no longer exists, please give us a Blu-ray of "Samson and Delilah." You've spent the money on an extensive restoration. Now make the money that a Blu-ray will get you. A DVD alone now says to the general public "B list; there's something wrong here." There are still plenty of us whose psyches were permanently formed by Hedy Lamarr in a silver-lame dress showing Victor Mature what's what. Your announcement of a DVD-only "Samson and Delilah" had all the Philistines secretly cheering. Robert Harris and your true friends were shocked. Show the Philistines that you, like Samson, can bring their temple down around them.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Paramount was up there with Warner Brothers as the best of the studio tours. Breakfast and lunch with a Paramount executive, Jack Reacher movie, backpack and Sunset Boulevard Blu-ray and a tour of the back lot. If I had to pick the best, I would go with Paramount. I had a wonderful time.

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
I am going to echo what has been written above but just can't help myself to say that Paramount was a fantastic way to end the week!
I have a special place in my heart for Paramount, Star Trek and Indiana Jones to name just two and I could go on and on about all the rest.
The tour was wonderful and our guide was very knowledgeable and a great ambassador for Paramount.
The archives and props area was really great and the people that guided us were also great at answering all our questions and made us feel very welcome. There was one office on the second floor that had some Star Trek ships in the window and I was really hoping to get a look inside. I was told that the person whose office that was is a huge Star Trek fan and knows a ton about Star Trek. I would have loved to meet him and chat briefly about Star Trek but unfortunately he was not in at the time we visited.
I too was very impressed to be able to have lunch with the executives in the home video division. The exchange of questions and information was really cool and they seemed very genuinely interested in what we had to say about their product, both good and on rare occasion not so good.
Thanks again Paramount! Live long and prosper!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I'd like to thank all of the Home Entertainment executives at Paramount for taking the time to sit down and discuss the industry with us and take our questions and concerns with mutual respect and courtesy. I was extremely impressed that, when I asked when we can expect to see Android support for the studio's UltraViolet titles, they made sure I had an answer before we left. They could not giving me a definite date, but said it would be very soon, likely before the end of the year, and am happy to say they were right, as all of my Paramount titles can now be viewed via Flixster on my Samsung Galaxy S.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.