What's new

Paramount Announcement: Paramount Home Entertainment Recalling Saving Private Ryan Blu-ray Discs (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
My local mom & pop required a receipt for the exchange, just like I anticipated. I found mine by luck. I don't know why anyone would believe a store would just hand over a Blu-ray without one.

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by John Stell

I went to the local Best Buy in Timonium, MD today and they would not make an exchange without a receipt. I'm not sure they were even aware of the recall.

So I took advantage of Amazon's 'return and get $5 off replacement program' but they made me pay for the return shipping, although it should be refunded within 4 weeks. I'm not sure why I didn't get a prepaid return label but it may be because I got free shipping on the initial purchase. Even so, the $5 return credit takes care of the return shipping anyway so it's no big deal.

However, people may want to call Best Buy to make sure they'll take your Blu Ray back before heading out there.

For what it's worth if you select Defective/does not work properly in Amazon's drop-down box on the return page, you won't have to pay for the return shipping.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Originally Posted by Mike.B

For what it's worth if you select Defective/does not work properly in Amazon's drop-down box on the return page, you won't have to pay for the return shipping.

I did, and in fact went through the process twice and still was told I had to pay the shipping.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Luisito34

I don't know why anyone would believe a store would just hand over a Blu-ray without one.

The biggest reason that I believe it is because that I returned the disc without a reciept to Best Buy yesterday (not to mention that Paramount has said here and on the phone that you don't need a reciept). Clearly some robot clerk that can't think beyond "No reciept equals no return" can slow you down but the store shouldn't care whether you actually bought it there or not because they will get a corrected copy when they ship the recalled one back.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm confused. I watched the entire film(White bar code) without any audio defects whatsoever.......?

I assume they fixed the problem before they started the recall with new copies(yellow bar code) went into effect.

Anyone else have a flawless first run of this?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Bryan^H

I'm confused. I watched the entire film(White bar code) without any audio defects whatsoever.......?

I assume they fixed the problem before they started the recall with new copies(yellow bar code) went into effect.

Anyone else have a flawless first run of this?

I had no problems with the white bar coded disc either (on a 1.0 profile player nonetheless) but I returned mine because who knows what that disc will do a player that I own in the future.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulDA

Just to be extra clear--faulty release has white barcode and beige disc for the feature film?

My copy had gray discs, and went oos at chapter 15. During viewing of this disc, I hit 2am at around chapter 13, and quit making the incorrect guess that all was well. Otherwise, this is a beautiful Blu-ray, and...

hats off to Paramount for dealing with this quickly and effectively.

This is the way to handle problem discs!

RAH

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Paramount

Just to confirm you don't need a receipt to return your Saving Private Ryan Blu-ray

Confirm all you want. I brought mine to Best Buy yesterday, and they had heard absolutely nothing about it, demanded a receipt, and almost didn't exchange it anyway.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Larry Geller

Confirm all you want. I brought mine to Best Buy yesterday, and they had heard absolutely nothing about it, demanded a receipt, and almost didn't exchange it anyway.

Larry-

Paramount is not requiring it if you go through their process. Best Buy may have their own rules. If you had called the phone number and gone through Paramount it would have been pretty painless and not required a receipt.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

Larry-

Paramount is not requiring it if you go through their process. Best Buy may have their own rules. If you had called the phone number and gone through Paramount it would have been pretty painless and not required a receipt.

I did do that, and they told me to return it to Best Buy, where they would not require a receipt. But Best Buy had no idea that this was happening at all.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I also brought mine to Best Buy. They asked if I had a receipt. As it happened, I had bought it at (a different) Best Buy, and they found my receipt through a computer search using my phone number.

They also didn't know anything about the exchange program, but thanked me profusely for telling them about it and the "white bar code bad" and "yellow bar code good" way to tell them apart.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I returned mine at a different Best Buy than where I purchased, they asked for a receipt, but all I had to do was produce the same credit card I bought it on for them to pull up records (the phone may be enough, as a previous poster noted).

Funny thing was they then wanted to charge me $10.65 for the replacement; the difference between the sale price I paid ($19.99) and the existing price ($29.95). This produced a stank look from me that had the customer service woman stepping back from the cash register in abject fear. I had to remind her it was purchased on sale, and she quickly spit out an exchange receipt. I solemnly warned her, "There will be more," and was off. She didn't look happy.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Sounds like Paramount and Amazon have their act together, but Best Buy doesn't know which end is up. Can't say I'm really suprised.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
You're welcome re: the pics.

The price mismatch hassle happened to me and a friend who returned his copy a day after me, at a different BB.

It appears that since the replacement disc has a different UPC, the difference in price for those that bought it during the first week of release requires an override. You'd think a memo would have gone out...

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

Took mine back to Best Buy yesterday. Like most others here, I was asked for a receipt which I didn't have, but as a RZ member they looked up my purchase on the computer. Then it rang up at $29.99 when I had only paid $19.99 at release so the clerk had to get a manager come over to do an override. The whole process only took about 5 min, but it's clear Best Buy doesn't know Paramount has said defective copies should be exchanged with no receipt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks