Parametric Equalizer on Yamaha RX-V3900

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by BraveHeart123, Aug 4, 2011.

1. BraveHeart123

BraveHeart123 Second Unit

can anyone pls explain the the value of Q in parametric equalizer? Yamaha suggests, lower the value of Q; wider is the bandwidth and viz a viz. Is there any formula to calculate it or just trying different values and judging the effect by gutt feeling is the only resort??? Being an engineer myself, I don't go on gutt feeling and need to know the exact thing. Any help is highly appreciated....

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Unless specified like on the BFD, it is an arbitrary measurement. The BFD specifies the Q as 1/60 octave. Have you tried to contact Yamaha or ask in the Receiver section of the forum?

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Filter Q refers to bandwidth – how wide an area the filter affects. Since you’re an engineer, here’s an on-line calculator. Since you mention “trying different values,” I assume you’re already using an equalizer. As you can see from the graphs at this post, functional bandwidth can vary from one to the next for a given value (i.e. how wide a path they cut). Regards, Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. BraveHeart123

BraveHeart123 Second Unit

Thanx Wayne ... that's what i was looking for. It's a great link and huge help on your part.