What's new

Paradigm Studio 100 and CC590 and Onkyo (1 Viewer)

chief12

Auditioning
Real Name
Ronen
Hi,

I have an a set of paradigm Studio 100 V4 fronts and CC590 Center hooked up to an Onkyo receiver 876. I was told by the salesman who sold me the paradigm that an external power amp would improve the sound.
So, I am thinking about getting a 5 channel power amp Rotel RMB-1575 and then having the receiver just do the decoding and driving the surround back channels.
My question is: would I notice a big difference in sound quality and clarity from the paradigms with the Rotel, or I will just be able to play them at higher volumes due to the extra watts? Is it worth the investment of the $2500?
I don't care about the volume as it can get loud enough with the Onkyo.
However if the sound quality will greatly improve than perhaps its worth the extra cash.
Also are there any other power amp to look at that can be good alternatives to the Rotel?

Thansk for your help.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Ronen, I agree with the salesman that the Onkyo won't have enough grunt to drive the Studio 100's (great speakers by the way). However you don't need to spend that type of money to get yourself a capable poweramp. Have a look at Emotiva and Outlaw Audio. And yes you can use the Onkyo as a pre/pro, but you may find it is a better investment at this level to purchase a dedicated pre/pro from one of these two manufacturers, which may still cost less than the AVR

Cheers,
Alon

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Besides, I would just get a 2 or 3 channel amp and let the receiver drive all the surrounds. Using that receiver as a head unit for a $2.5K amp does seem like a poor distribution of funds.

chief12

Auditioning
Real Name
Ronen
OK, but would the sound detail and clarity improve or just get louder?
What good brands make a three channel power amp?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It would probably give a minor improvement, but resolution and general sound quality are about 98% a factor of the speakers, room, placement and things other than the amp. N ot only would it probably not get louder, at a specified volume dial setting, it would likely get quieter, since the gain of the Rotel amp is probably less than the amps in the Onkyo. Power is mainly about headroom, which has nothing to do with loudness.

For amps, look at Outlaw, Adcom and any number of others.

Users who are viewing this thread