What's new

Paradigm Speakers - Purchasing In Canada (1 Viewer)

David_Wohrman

Auditioning
I have recently started to build my first HT system and am more or less set on using Paradigm speakers. Since I live relatively close to Canada I was wondering if anyone knows if they are cheaper there than in the US (because of tariffs and what not)?

Thanks,

Dave

Jeff Mills

Stunt Coordinator
They should be cheaper due to the shitty exchange rate (shiity for us, good for you)

Phone a couple places that are paradigm dealers in Canada and get a quote over the phone. Convert the stuff to US dollars and compare that price to what you would pay in the states.

Make sure you smuggle them across the border so you dont pay duty.....wait, isnt that "illegal"!

Ben_hunt

Auditioning
David

Is there a specific model that you have been considering?

If so let me know Because I live close to a Paradigm dealer in Kingston ON. I am in the store quite often and could get you a quote if you want. you can post or E- mail me if you want.

BEN

John_E

Stunt Coordinator
There is no duty and you get the GST and PST refunded. NAFTA allows free trade between Canada & USA (and Mexico too) for any goods that are made in the US, Canada & Mexico.

You do not have to "smuggle" the speakers back into the US. I bought 4 Atoms, a CC170 & a PDR-10 for $1000 Canadian dollars before tax (About $625US). I then stopped at the Duty Free Shop on the way back and they refunded the GST on the spot. You have to mail your receipt to get your PST refunded. I think that it takes about 8 weeks. Then, going through customs, I told them that I bought some Paradigms. They took a look at the boxes which say MADE IN CANADA and sent me on my merry way. I figure that I saved about $300. The US dealer close to me was quoting about $825US (List was about $950) for the package plus I'd have to pay the sales tax. I live 15 miniutes from the border so it was well worth it. Where are you planning to cross? If you're crossing at Niagara Falls, I can recommend a couple of good dealers.

Bob Br

Agent
David,

I negotiated what amounted to well over 40% discount off US (after currency exchange impacts) list price. YMMV. Good luck!

Bob

Jeff Mills

Stunt Coordinator
Didnt know it was free so long as it was made in the US or Canada. That definately sweetens the deal.

MarcVH

Second Unit
GST is generally refundable, but other taxes will vary; some provinces don't refund it. Typically it's still way cheaper either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks