What's new

Paradigm speaker question/concern.. (1 Viewer)

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
I have 2 pairs of Titans, 2 Atoms, and a CC-170. I've noticed, while watching some movies, most notably the latest Cheaper by the Dozen, that my center channel has a slight static or buzzy sound to it during primarily dialogue. It's pretty slight, and it only seems to be while people use sharp letters like S or T. It freaked me out a little, so last night I switched my center channel wires over to one of my Titans. I played back that same part at that same moment and I noticed the static again. I did, however, think the Titan sounded significantly better than the CC-170 running in the center. The highs seemed crisper and more pronounced, and the lows deeper. Any ideas what the scoop is here folks? I know the Titan is using a 6.5 driver and the CC-170 uses twin 5.5 drivers. But the tweeter should be the same. The highs are still coming out of the center, and I could detect things like keys rattling, and such, but it seems like the center almost isn't timbre matched to the rest of my system. Is it possible I could have blown my tweeter? But if that's the case, then why would I notice that static through the Titan as well? On the other hand, I suppose it could be my receiver. I'm running a Kenwood VR-507 that's "rated" at 100W per channel into 5 channels. And I've never turned it up above about 3/4 of the way up, but it feels like I have to turn it up to about -30 or so (on a scale from -100 to 0) for it to get to the volume I'm wanting.

I'm assuming if I take it to the dealer, and he hooks it up to one of their high-end Integra receivers, he'll be able to tell me if there is something wrong with the speaker. And I'd also assume, if indeed something is wrong, that Paradigm would replace/repair the center since I've only had my speakers for about 3 months.

Maybe the CC-270 would be a better match since it uses the larger drivers and would better match the fullness of the Titans.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Does it do this with ALL movies or just certain ones? It doesn't sound normal. I had a CC170 for years, with a number of different receivers, and never had any crackling. The fact that another speaker does the same thing on the same channel suggests that it is not the speaker(s). Have you tried swapping the speaker wires and making sure the wire is properly terminated and connected on both ends? What about with different sources (CD, TV, etc...)? Is your DVD connected via analog or digital?

Disconnect the other speakers and leave only the center. Does the problem persist?

The 270 is matched to the Focus, and uses a larger tweeter than the Titans, but it is still timbre matched. I replaced my 170 with a 270, and didn't find enough difference. The only thing I noticed was a little lower extension, but it sounded basically the same otherwise, so I swapped it for the 370 and upgraded my mains to Monitor 5s (which are also now sold...).

Jason Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy,

I wouldnt worry about it. I also noticed some static during dialogue in this movie on my Axioms. I think that in some scenes in this movie they had the microphones either too close to the actors or the gain turned up to much. Its like have you ever heard someone yell into a microphone and it gets staticy and crackles.

I'm very sensitive to these distortions so it drives me nuts when movies have this. My wife doesnt even notice them unless I point them out to her first.

Anyways, if your speakers dont do this during known good movies. I wouldnt worry about it its just the source material.

I hope this helps.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
It is most likely the source. What you are hearing is probably how the movies was recorded, especially if it was heard through the Titan.

The CC-170 should be a good match for your system. But since the speaker is a different design it will never sound the same as the Titan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks