What's new

Paradigm makes the best subs ? (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Depends on what you compare them to. For the price, they are more than adequate. They are not the greatest thing since sliced bread though. And Yes, I do recommend the Titans over the Atoms :D

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Tony, I can assure you that neither the Atoms nor Titans are crap.....if you go to Paradigms website you can see many reviews of both speaker models. I use to run Atoms in my system and I loved those little speakers.

Eric C D

Second Unit

Funny, I went to the Hsu forum and they said Hsu subs were the best. Then I went to the AV123 forum and they told me the Onix subs were the best. And woe to those that stumble into the cult of the infinitely baffled. Hmmmm. :D

IMHO, around here it tends to be mostly SVS forum w/ fair representation of the other internet brands. And definitely expect that since this is an online forum, online-available subs will be recommended.
All that being said, I think the stats quoted by Chris Quinn are telling about the PDR. Around here, we'll most all try to talk you "down" into the lower 20s for frequency extension. And I think his suggestion of the STF-1 in the $300 range. Once you get up to $400, there's lots of good to great possibilities.

Note: my sub is an SVS PC20-39

good luck!

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
no company anywhere will give you thr support and service like SVS does. I wont go into it but SVS has gone above and beyond for me what they ever needed to.

almost $300 for a PDR-10 ? thats way too much for that sub. I have heard it and I wpuld never spend that on that little sub. you can find older ones one ebay for half that, maybe less.

I will never ever buy any sub other than an SVS in the future. I own a 25_31 PC+ and its a killer! everytime someone comes over to listen to it they are sold! not to mention the jaw dropping.

if I was looking for a sub near the $300 range the SVS-PB10 would be my choice easily.

BTW: when I was looking at paradigm subs(as I have a paradigm setup) I went to a local dealer where I bought all my speakers I mentioned SVS and the look on the face of all of them was not good...lol they put down SVS and really made me feel as if I dont want to do business with them again. they were rude about it and knocked them hard. I know.... it cuts into thier profit me buying from SVS. :)

anyway I have not been back to buy in a long time. not to mention the high price they are giving me for a pair of ADP-370's!!!! needless to say i will be waiting years before I get a pair. $750 seemd pricey to me.

Nigel Hooper

Stunt Coordinator
How wonderful for you. There are others very happy with their Servos, Revels, Contrabasses and Velodyne ETC. :emoji_thumbsup:

tony^v

Stunt Coordinator
Well thanks for all your input:)
I am either going to get the pb10 or the stf-2 next month I hope after I pay for some xmas bills :frowning:
I think I may get the atoms as well. I like they way they sound.
What do you guys think about the Infinity's are they as good as the paradigm?

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Tony:
I would bet that Atoms/Titans with the SVS is a system you'd be very happy with.....especially for HT. The first movie I watched over my old Atoms was Pearl Harbour.....not my favorite film in the world, but the audio was nicely done.....I had my Atoms mounted up on the wall at the time, and I remember feeling very satisfied consider what I spent on them. They'll sound good out of the box, but they do improve with use.

Good luck on your decision!

ChrisCollins

Stunt Coordinator
I will also give a big thumbs up for the HSU STF1
Fantastic little sub, so much more than any $300 sub from BB will give you

tony^v

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure but the STF1 may be too small for my room.

My room is L shape. My tv is located on the bottom part of the L and those measurements are 14 x 13 the long part of the L is 23 x 9

Anybody that says "this is crap or that brand is crap" is full of crap. I e-mailed the guys at SVS and they were top notch in their service and recomendations. I would have bought the SVS (20-39 PC plus) except by the time I did the exchange rate thing, brokerage fees etc. it became too expensive. Found a Hsu dealer near me (I live in Toronto)and auditioned the VTF3 Mk2. Paid $790 CDN and this thing rocks. My advise, listen to the equipment yourself and decide. Both SVS and Hsu are top notch companies that specialize in subs. For the money, you can't go wrong with either.

tony^v

Stunt Coordinator
I got a GREAT deal @ Comp USA I got a semi used STF-2 for $199
I also bought the VT-12 speakers but not sure if I will keep them.
For the price they sound great but can't help but to feel it might be missing something.
I will try to calibrate them this weekend and go from there.
I really like the sound of the atoms but I can't swing them right now
BTW I paid $130 for the VT-12

KenWA

Agent
Hi!It's interesting how setup can affect measurements, though; I did some searching, and on a Canadian audio mag's web site there is a review that was done a few years ago, involving a PDR-10. With their setup, the PDR-10 measured +/-1 dB (at 89 dB) from 20 to 90 Hz. There is no mention of THD in this measurement, but this is still a nice pink noise sweep result.

(Check out the Paradigm Stylus review in Audio Ideas Guide to verify the above.)

This is not to disparage any other sub or to try to hype Paradigm; just another data point for you all to consider.

Loreni

Grip
What about Adire Rava sub?I might be better for music than the pb10 because it uses 12inch driver.Do you have any experience of this sub?

Evan H

Stunt Coordinator

define better.... a bigger driver will generally get deeper, but will not be as tight or accurate. Again, this is generalizations of equally priced units.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I went to the Kia dealer and they told me they make the best sports cars!!!

:D

Just giving you a hard time.

Paradigm certainly does not make bad products, they are always good.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I love Paradigm products......have owned speakers from every line except the new signatures.......used to own the PDR-10, too. All I know is that it cost me $200 more to have SVS ship me a PCi 25-31, but the difference between the two subs was far more than the $200 I spent. It was a mindblowing difference. I said in another post that when the SVS saw the Paradigm sitting in the room, it literally went over and ate it. Someone PM'ed me to ask me if that was really true......and yes, it is true. The PDR-10 was never heard from again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks