What's new

Paradigm Cinima 110 CT (1 Viewer)

satishK

Grip
Hello All,

I am new to this forum and also new to building up a home theater system. I have always been fond of bose system as it looked impressive and after reading the comments here, I came to understand how much little I know about these systems and there is a whole different world other than bose. Its all bcos of my limited knowledge

I was looking to buy a livestyle 28 series II but now am looking to build a system which will be better and less expensive that livestyle 28 which is of $2300.

I am looking at the below

Speakers - Paradigm cinema 110 CT
Receiver - Yamaha RX-V1500
Dvd Player - Sony-DVP- NC875VB

I would need all of your sincere advice and tell me if the above system is a good match and if it will provide me with good results Or if you guys could recommend a better setup for around $2000.

Thanks.
Regards,
Satish

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
I started out with a Paradigm Cinema system. I think they were the 90's. I had the PDR-10 with them.

They sound really good for the price you pay. WAY better than any HTIB or Bose system.

If you have big room they will have a hard time filling it up...but for a starter system you really can't go wrong with those little Paradigms. The weak link in the Cinema systems are the subs. I really don't like the PDR line of subs..but like I said, if it's in a smaller room they sound pretty decent.

satishK

Grip
Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. The room size is 12FT width by 23 FT long. Will the cinema 110 be good enough for that room ?

Pls let me know

Regards,
Satish

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
That is a pretty long room. The weak link in that set up will be the sub for sure. It will have a hard time filling that size of a room with decent bass for movie watching.

I had mine in a 15' by 25' or so room and it struggled. It still sounded decent though. I didn't really know what I was lacking until I upgraded the sub. From there things got out of hand..LOL...upgrade, upgrade, upgrade.

I think for the most part you will be please with that system. Although I'm not sure what sub comes with the 110 system though?

satishK

Grip
Hi David,

Below is the specs of the subwoofer :

Design (Magneshield™) - Single-driver, bass-reflex, high-velocity low-turbulance resistive ports, built-in amplifier

Bass Driver - 254-mm (10 in) fiber-reinforced cone, 51-mm (2 in) voice coil, oversized magnet

Amplifier: High-Current, Discrete Output - 150 watts RMS / 450 watts Peak

Amplifier Design Features - Auto-On / Standby, soft clipping

Low Frequency Extension - 30 Hz

Subwoofer Cut-Off Frequency - Variable 50 Hz – 200 Hz

Line-Level Input - Left/Right (Mono) line-level input from Sub-Out / LFE-Out of reciever / processor or other line-level source

Line-Level Input Sensitivity - 160 mV

Line-Level Input Impedance - 10 k ohms

Pls let me know if with the above specs you can tell if its enough for the room.

Also is Yamaha RX-V1500 a good match for these speakers ?

Thanks
Regards,
Satish

MichaelPR

Second Unit
I would drop the Paradigm subwoofer. Step up to the Paradigm Atoms or Titans as fronts...and use a Dayton 12" sub instead.

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I just went to the Paradigm site to check them out.

To be totally honest you should look at the Rocket ELT system.They have a full 5.1 speaker system that comes in at $799 and it would be a MUCH better choice for the money. I have a pair of the ELT's in my home office and they are leaps and bounds better than the Cinema speakers. Bigger, better built, and much better looking.

At least take a look at the ELT package....30 day money back guarantee you really can't go wrong.

http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=60.1

plus at that price even with shipping you would have plenty of money to get a good starter receiver and DVD player.

VinhT

Second Unit
The Paradigm Cinema 110 CT package is excellent. I recommended the system to a friend. Exhibits the clean, neutral sound that Paradigm is known for, and works well with a budget receiver. I cannot comment on the sub, as I had given him a replacement in advance, so he never bothered to try it out and I never heard it.

SummyD

Stunt Coordinator
Satish,

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. Replacing a bose system, I ended up buying Energy speakers (C7 floorstanders, CR-1 rears, and CC-1 center). You have to really go out and listen for yourself in order to decide on the speakers. Take your favorite dvd with you and listen to the same scene(s) to compare the speakers. I took a music CD as well for my auditions. Looks like you have a large room. Do you really want to restrict yourself to smaller/satellite speakers? Why not go for bigger and more efficient ones in your price range. Here are some suggestions:

Speakers (5 speakers for $1000 or less) - Athena Audition series, Energy C-series
Receiver (around $400) - Pioneer 1015, Denon 2105
Subwoofer ($300 or less) - Dayton 10", Athena as-p6000

satishK

Grip
Thankyou verymuch all of you for ur priceless suggestions. Its really very informative.

Summy - Please let me know how are the Energy ENCORESYS speaker systems ?
I do like Floor speakers, but my wife will not like it :b, so will have to stick with medium size speakers bigger than satellites. So in Athena are the Audition AS-B2.2 good enough for front ? or AS-F2 will only be good for front ones ? Is Yamamha RX-V1500 good with these speakers ?

David - Are the ELT speakers available online only or can I get it from any stores after hearing them ?

Vinh - Can u pls tell me which subwoofer you had sugested to your friend with Cinema 110 CT and if yamaha RX-V1500 goes well with it ...

Awaiting ur replies

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
The ELT's are online only. So, if you end up not liking them you would be out the shipping cost to return them.

I've got a pair of the ELT's in my home office for 2-channel music and they are downright awesome at that price range. They outplayed my Paradigm Atoms by a longshot.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Paradigm is a fine company that makes quality speakers, but I think they are only worth taking a look at if you want to go with the Monitor series or above. Otherwise, you can get much better performing speakers online for the same price. This isn't to say that certain online brands can't also outperform the Monitor and Studio series, just that the Monitor series is a good starting point.

Anyway, you should take a look at that ELT package as well as Ascend Acoustics 170s. Both are proven systems and both are a great bang for the buck. For a sub in your price range, I think one or two of the new Dayton 12" would be good, or if you want to spend more, the SVS PB10.

Finally, not to totally overhaul your proposed setup, but there are two other great bang for buck pieces you would be better off with. The Oppo upscaling dvd player for $200, and the Pioneer VSX series.

Here is what I would go with, and I am sure there are many that would agree.

Ascend Acoustics 170s for mains, 340 center, HTM 200 surrounds = total of $856 shipped

2 Parts Express Dayton 12" subwoofers = about $310 shipped

Oppo dvd player = about $210 shipped

Pioneer VSX 1015 = $500 (on sale $475 at best buy)

For a total of $1876. Throw in a few cables and your good to go for under $2000. This would be the ultimate bang for the buck system.

SummyD

Stunt Coordinator
Hi. I haven't auditioned the Encore series, so don't know. I loved the smaller Energy's Take 5.2 set though. The Energy C-7's footprint is smaller than most bookshelves on stands, so it may not be a problem with your wife :) Seems like AS-B2.2 should be okay given that their claimed efficiency is 91db. F2's certainly would add a lot more punch.

I've heard that Yamaha receivers tend to be on the brighter side generally, so maybe other brands like HK, Denon, Pio might be better with Athena/Energy.

satishK

Grip
Hi Everyone,

I went to 6ave store yesterday and tried out the definitive and the paradigm sets. I thought I could audition the other brands sugessted by you guys, but I do not have any store close by and some had to be purchased online and tried for 30 days, which I was not sure about.

So this is what I have ordered,

Titans V3 for Mains
CC-170 V4 for center channel
ADP-170's V3 for surround
PDR-10 V3 subwoofer
Yamaha RX-V1500 receiver
Yamaha DVD-C750 5 DVD changer
Monster Cables for connectivity

Toshiba 57" 57H84 rear projection TV.

I have 30 days to try the paradigm systems, so am not sure if I have made the right decision, will check it out once i receive it at home.

Pls share your comments on the above setup, I hope its not a bad setup :)

Pls let me know.

Regards,
satish

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Congratulations. I also have had the almost same exact sound setup which I also Purchased from 6ave. Let me give you some super advice. 1) Use Atoms instead of the ADPS 2) The sub is not that great for the money at all. Bring it back and get an SVS that is in your price range. By using atoms as rears your sure to have some cash left over. And the PDR is almost as much as a PB10ISD. And I recently upgraded to a similarly priced product that sounds much better. Swan 2.1s, Swan C3, and Swan R2s for surrounds. About $800 from the Audio Insider in Black Cherry and they sound more like B&W speakers. They Image so much better than the Paradigms. You should really check this out. Those Toshiba DLPs are beautiful aren't they? I have the 46". Enjoy your awesome equipment!

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Also Satish I would have gone with bluejeanscable.com over monster. It is much cheaper. if you still have the chance I would look into this.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
You will have a failry decent system, but for the money you are paying (assuming no huge discounts), you could be getting a much better system.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Is your goal to hit true theater like sound pressure levels?

If that is the case, put as much money towards a sub. Maybe a Velodyne 15", or a dual 12" SVS....

I installed a Yamaha HTR-5890 a few weekends ago with a Velodyne DLS5000R in a room a little bigger than yours using QTY-4 JBL E60 speakers, that combo hit reference levels sustained just fine.

Was right at $2000 if I remember correctly. Don't discount Pre/Pro features as well as video handling needs when sizing up which AVR to purchase by the way.

satishK

Grip
Thanks for the reply guys:

I am just listing out what I have paid for the whole setup, maybe you guys can tell me if I have overpaid and also please let me know if these speakers would sound better if wall mounted or on a stand....

---------------------------------------------
Titans V3 for Mains - $207 (pair)
CC-170 V4 for center channel - $179.99
ADP-170's V3 for surround - $432 (pair)
PDR-10 V3 subwoofer - $342.00
Yamaha RX-V1500 receiver - $680
Yamaha DVD-C750 5 DVD changer -$270
Monster Cables for connectivity - $373
Monster Stage 2 power bar for clean signals - $180

Toshiba 57" 57H84 rear projection TV with 5 yrs service plan - $1514.76

So total came to about $4500 with tax ($250.76)and shipping ($69.99 for TV)
--------------------------------------------------------

Michael, If I have to change the subwoofer, I need to take the ones which 6ave has, as an exchange, can u pls suggest which model I shld go for, so that it can fit in my range too. Does 6ave have the SVS & Velodyne subwoofer, which model would fit for my budget and room size, pls let me know.

Take care guys.

Regards,
Satish

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Ok, if you aren't willing to order speakers from the internet, that's one thing and that is fine. But please, don't waste $373 on Monster cables and $180 on a Monster powerbar. You are spending more on cables than you are on your mains!!

Wait a minute, are you spending more on your surrounds than mains as well, or is that supposed to be 2 pair of ADP 170's?

I don't know if you care, but here is what I would do now. Rteurn the Monster cables, Powerbar, CC-170, and ADP 170s - keep the Titans to be used as surrounds. Buy the Mini Monitors and CC-370. For interconnects, just use something like www.trianglecables.com and for speaker cable, just buy some 14 or 16 gauge from a hardware store. The benefits you will reap from better front 3 speakers will HONESTLY be about 10x more important than anything Monster makes.

And for as much as you are paying for that sub, I still think you're much better off with 2 Dayton 12" subs, but like I said, I understand if you don't want to order speakers from the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks