What's new

Paradigm Bookshelf Speakers - Monitor 3 vs. Monitor 5 (1 Viewer)

EdwinL

Stunt Coordinator
What are the acoustic differences? Which one is 'brighter'? Which has the closest approximation to the monitor 9s v.2.1?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Neither is brighter, the Monitor line are each farily well timbre matched to eachother.

The Monitor 3 uses a single 8" and the Monitor 9 uses dual 8", while the Monitor 5 uses dual 6-1/2". All use the same tweeter. The Monitor 3 has a bit more low end extension, but I feel the 3 is the least controlled in the Monitor line, and has a noticable boomy quality to it when played full range. The Monitor 5 is 1dB more sensitive, meaning they will play a bit louder at the same volume and/or require a little less power to drive vs the 3. Physically, they are very similar in size.

EdwinL

Stunt Coordinator
So your saying the Monitor 3 isn't as 'clean' as the Monitor 5? And that the Monitor 5 doesn't strain so much as the 3?
how does the 7 compare to the 5?
also, I'm kinda leaning toward a pair of Axiom M22ti's, but am thinking thinking thinking of all the possiblities. In my budget I'm being a bit frivoulous, so there's no room for messing around and not getting the MOST the first time around! :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For the price, I'd get the M22s. :D I got my Monitor 5s for about 1/2 the price of M22s, so I don't feel bad ;).
The 7 is almost a larger 5, but can handle even more power and has quite a bit better bass response (47Hz vs 58Hz). I would use a sub with both of them, but for mostly movies I don't think the 7 is really necessary. On the other hand, including stands, the 5s are pretty close to the cost of 7s.

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
I currently own a pair of Monitor 5's, and I can definitely vouch for them. My choices were narrowed down to the Mini-monitors and the 5s, and I liked the better bass extension if the 5s. It mixed better with the sub (PS1000).

In a bunch of double blind tests, I actually picked the 5's when compared to the rest of the line. IMHO, both the Monitor 3's and 9's sounded the worst out of the line. They lacked clarity and were quite boomy. If you do a search on the forum, you'll find that others agree, primarily for the reason that they both have 8 in. drivers compared to the 6.5's in the rest of the line.

Of course, this depends on what sub you plan to match it with. If you want to go with a floorstander, I liked the 7's the best. The only reason why I'm upgrading to the Studio 60's instead of the Studio 40's is that I want to listen to music full range w/o a sub. For HT, bookshelves are fine, but it really depends on your sub; that may make the difference. Hope this helps.

My $.02

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
I went through this about 9 months ago, mainly between Monitor 5 and 7's as my fronts.

In the end, I went with Monitor 7's. I found the extra extension to be great for 2 channel listening, and in my opinion, just sounded more controlled (might be just bull in my mind, perhaps?)

None the less, the 5's with a good set of stands came within $30 of the 7's at my local dealer, so it was a no brainer to get floor standers with extra extension for such a small price (even if I do run them as small and have my pw-2200 for the bottom end)

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
The only advantage to the 3's is the front port. The 5's are rear ported which can be a problem within confined spaces.

As for why the 3's and 9's sound worse is a simple matter of physics. Most subs are 10"+, and most midranges are ~4". An 8" driver is too small to be a subwoofer that reaches very low, but is also way too big to produce higher midrange. The 6 1/2" driver is a much better compromise. It can't go quite as low, but it handles the midrange much better.

I would get the 5's or 7's.

Chriss M

Second Unit
I have Monitor 3's in my bedroom, and Studio 40's in my living room. While the 40's are definitely the better speaker, there are times (and certain types of music) when i prefer to listen the Monitor 3's. They are a bit boomy, but they provide much better bass "impact" than the studio 40's. If you like dance/trance/techno style music, you might consider the monitor 3's. For anything else, the 5's, with their 6.5" drivers, would probably be a better choice.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I listen to a lot of trance/techno as well as jazz and vocals and the 5s are great for all of it (need a sub for the techno) :D
They are loving the new TCM - Community Service...

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Have had my 7's for a few years now as the fronts in my HT system...have always loved them. But I added a 5 channel Carver amp to my system several months ago (biamping the 7's)...WHAT A DIFFERENCE. The 7's have more in them with good power!!

I have been told by several salesmen that they are the speaker of choice in the Monitor line, along with an adequate sub. Give them a fair consideration!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yep, the 7s are the favorite, and the 3s are the least liked AFAIK. Seems to hold up pretty true to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks