What's new

Panzer Dragoon Orta (1 Viewer)

Dan B

Screenwriter
Thanks Brian. I didn't realize it was "crusty". I don't want anyone to get too excited over it, but it's thoughtful of Sega to make it available nonetheless.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
And please remember this is a demo of the old crusty PC port of Panzer Dragoon...
Crusty!? I saw no mold on my copy;)
Actually the PC port at higher resolution is actually quite nice. (Of course by higer resolution I mean 640X480). The music is intact and its a nice port. The only real issue I had with the PC port was the controls. No joystick/joypad on the PC could match up to the Saturn pads.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Crusty!? I saw no mold on my copy
Just making sure people knew it wasn't a brand new demo...

/me thinks back to the first "3D Accelerator" card by NVidia he had in his dev PC at DMA, complete with nasty ports of Virtua Fighter & Panzer Dragoon, plus Saturn pad hookups.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if the 'Saturn' version of PD on the new disc is really the PC port, re-ported to the XBox.

I do remember the 3D accelerators with the Saturn pad hookup, I thought a couple of games (Daytona? Virtua Cop?) were supposed to be pretty nice.

I bought a Voodoo1 right around the same time. At that point, Voodoo was the way to go.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if the 'Saturn' version of PD on the new disc is really the PC port, re-ported to the XBox.
I'm willing to bet it is. The screenies that have been posted look quite a bit cleaner than the original game. of course Sega may have just done some cleaning up on the game grapics also.
*Not to self, find and purchase a Saturn pad adapter. I never had one of those!:frowning:

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I do remember the 3D accelerators with the Saturn pad hookup, I thought a couple of games (Daytona? Virtua Cop?) were supposed to be pretty nice.
The Virtua Cop that was released for the PC was nice, but it had nothing to do with the early nVidia card - it was just a "regular" PC game. The only games I remember from the nVidia card are Panzer Dragoon & Virtua Fighter. Don't remember Daytona.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Don't remember Daytona.
Daytona was a Saturn port through and through. All of the problems prevelant on the first Saturn game were even more glaring on the PC port. Not exactly one to hunt down;). I still have it though cause its a hoot to throw in and reminisce. Shortly after of course I need a large helping of the the gorgeus DC version of the game. (Sega? Xbox Live, PS2 online? Dayona USA...Can you hear me Sega?:))

paul h

Supporting Actor
Gamespot have just posted a new Trailer for PDO and its available to anyone ... looking damn good.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, Romier, I wasn't clear - I didn't remember a Daytona port for the nVidia card. I know it, and others, were ported for the "regular" PC later on.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I did some searching of Usenet and did find mentions of Nvidia-enhanced versions of Virtua Cop and Daytona. This matches my own memories, though I never owned any of these games.
Of course, it is possible that my memory and the newsgroups are wrong. It's also possible that there were just unsupported Nvidia patches for those two games, and there was never an official retail version on the store shelves.
I can remember when at least two (patched) versions of Quake supported proprietary video cards other than Voodoo/Glide or the eventual standard OpenGL.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, Romier, I wasn't clear - I didn't remember a Daytona port for the nVidia card. I know it, and others, were ported for the "regular" PC later on.
Gotcha.
As for the new trailer, its pieced together from older footage I have seen but that doesn't makeit any less impressive:).
Only a month a few days to go...

paul h

Supporting Actor
Having never played any of the Panzer games i'm definitely intruiged to play this one ... it looks fantastic though my one concern is in how it plays, dont get me wrong i enjoy a good shooter but do tend to bore of them fairly quickly and being on-rails i wonder how they will keep the gameplay varied and interesting.

Dan B

Screenwriter
IGN has the latest installment of Panzer Periodical today: Hands On. Hilary seems to have found the story mode of Panzer Dragoon Orta quite a bit shorter than the other person who played the game (in Michael's post). Warning: Panzer Periodical: Hands On includes some pretty specific descriptions of the gameplay, so if you want to avoid spoilers, don't read it. :D

Dan B

Screenwriter
Whoohoo, time to get this thread rollin' again as we've reached the 1 week to go mark for the US release.
IGN has another Panzer Periodical installment: Dragon Forms.
Ya know, I've been playing Moto GP lately & I noticed that the DVD cover is reversible. PDO would have been a great game to use a double-sided (edited typo) cover so we could get the Japanese cover if we preferred it. (yes, I'm still upset about the US artwork) :D
Here is the commercial that's currently running for PDO. EDIT: commercial removed...IGN has it still, if you're looking for it...

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Excellent commercial. The only one thing that I would have changed is to use the actual remix of the Saga theme they used in the original trailer instead of the tune they have playing in the commercial but besides that its a great commercial.
"For graceful fury there is no power greater than X"
Nice tag line:)
Hopefully we'll see a good bit of marketing behind the game.
I recently got a listen to the the entire PDO soundtrack and let me tell you its right up there with the best music in the series. Keeps in the spirit of the series and creates some great new themes. To be honest after the demo I was slightly worried about the music but having now listened to whats in store, worry is thing of the past (For those who have not played a previous Panzer game, the music is an integral part of the experience.)
Good god this is going to be the longest week of my life!

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
It should be interesting to see how this game sells. It should move quite a few systems in Japan but here in North America I wonder how many people out there know what this game is all about and how much the hardcore fans like Romier ;) effect them. Will it take off? I sure hope so because it would raise the chances of another PD Sega title. I’ll be paying close attention to the sales figures on this one for sure.
Dean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks