What's new

Panny, Samsung, or RCA (1 Viewer)

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
I ordered a PT-47wx53 from Circuit City because I could't come close to their price anywhere else. After a so-so sales experience, I bought it anyway. Now they're jerking me around on when it'll be available. For the same price ($1,200), should I get a Sammy HCN473W or for $100 more a RCA D52W15? At this price point is there much difference? Is the Panny significantly better that I should wait and be jerked around more?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I replaced a previous model 47" Panny (the last model before they added DVI, not sure the model #) with a RCA D52W20 and am very happy with it. The added size does make a difference and the PQ is very close, so close that once calibrated I couldn't see a real winner. The D52W20 is the same internally as the D52W15 but w/ a slightly different cabinet (more dark grey/black on the 15, more light grey/silver on the 20) and the D52W15 lacks the screen protector that is standard on the D52W15. I'm guessing best-buy will sell alot of the 15 because you can't get that much screen for $1300 anywhere else. W/ the regular price of $1299 i'm curious to see what kind of promotional prices they'll have.

As I said, I'm very happy w/ my D52W20 and would not consider replacing it w/ another CRT RPTV. Only way i'd change is if i went DLP/LCD or Front Projection, which doesn't look like it's going to happen in the neer future.

Only complaints i have w/ the RCAs are the cabinets are a lil cheesy (all plastic, no MDF), and the lack of a HUE/TINT setting in the picture calibrations.

Shane Dodson

Stunt Coordinator

A bit of a loaded question there. ;)

In all seriousness though...stick with the Panasonic. It's a great set, and--with proper calibration--can match the picture quality of "high end" RPTV's.

If you're having problem

Shane Dodson

Stunt Coordinator

A bit of a loaded question there. ;)

In all seriousness though...stick with the Panasonic. It's a great set, and--with proper calibration--can match the picture quality of "high end" RPTV's.

If you're having problems with Circuit City, try another retailer. They're certainly not the only kids on the block, and you may find the prices elsewhere to be comparible.

Of course, I'm sure my opinion is quite biased (but whose isn't around here?)...given the fact I'm a proud owner of the Panasonic model you mentioned.

Great picture. Loads of features. Superb value.

Good luck in your TV quest.

Regards,

- S.D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks