What's new

Panny rp91 or Denon 900 (1 Viewer)

Sid Patel

Auditioning
Which would you choose and why?
Let's put price aside for now since they can both be had for around the same cost.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Really depends on what features you are looking for and what kind of TV you have. You'll need to be more specific as to what you are looking for in a player.

Sid Patel

Auditioning
I have a Toshiba 65" Cinema Series 65HDX82 which I may soon be upgrading to a Pioneer Elite 720HD. I am ultimately looking for the player with the best PQ and sound quality. I'm not really concerned with how many options a player has.

greg_t

Screenwriter
If your not concerned with features, I'd suggest either the Panasonic RP91 or the XP30. the XP30 can be had for less money, uses the Farjouda DCDI deinterlacer, and has the same MPEG decoder has the 91. It has no Chroma bug and It's video output is the same as the Panasonic RP82. Down side is no scaling of non-anamaphoric dvd's, no dvd-audio, and no coaxil output.

The 91 uses the lesser Genesis deinterlacer and uses the top panasonic mpeg decoder, the same one as in the xp30. The Genesis chip allows for scaling of non-anamaphoric dvd's. The 91 has dvd-audio and coax out and of course no chroma bug. The 91 is also firmware upgradeable, I'm not sure if the XP30 is.

I have one of both and think both players are great. The are connected via component output to a Pioneer Elite 530HD. The big advantage of the 91 is it's ability to scale non-anamaphoric dvd. The stretch modes are so good on the Elite though, that the scaling feature is not really necessary. The 91 does do a better job of scaling than the Elite's stretch modes, but not by a huge margin. I'm currently using the XP30 for day to day viewing, and have the 91 for non-anamaphoric. Both players are great, but if all you want is video performance and are not worried about scaling, dvd- audio, etc, the XP30 is a great performer.

SeanA

Second Unit
I just picked up the DVD-900 for $100 from eCost.com and returned it just as quick. I made the dumb mistake of thinking the 900 had all the same video processing hardware as the 1600. It does not. When I compared the picture from the DVD-900 with my Toshiba SD4800, I actually think the Toshiba was sharper/cleaner. The Toshiba also beats the 900 in terms of menus, controls, remote, and having a readable display. The only thing I thought the 900 may have had an edge on is sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks