What's new

Panny PT-L300U vs. Sanyo PLV-Z1 (1 Viewer)

Yucel

Auditioning
These projectors are same price in my country.I'll use PJ with my computer,DVD Player and Sattellite.Which one is better for me?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Given the same cost the smooth screen technology in the 300 would tip the favour to the panny.

KenBo

Grip
And the DVI input doesn't hurt either. I found the Z1 at HALF the cost of the Panny in Toronto, and even $1000 less thatn the 200U, so that was a no-brainer. I love the Z1, I barely notice any screen door, MUCH better than I expected. You're not making a bad decision either way, that's for sure.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
This is a quote off the ProjectorCentral's comparison between the Z1 and the L300U...
PT-L300U vs. the Sanyo PLV-Z1: This comparison is an entirely different smoke. Current street prices of the PLV-Z1 are several hundred dollars below the L300U. Therefore those entry level home theater enthusiasts looking for the "best cheapest" solution will be drawn to the PLV-Z1. The L300U is the better of the two machines, but the question is whether the advantages that the L300 has over the Z1 are worth the extra money to the first time buyer. Only the buyer can make that call.

Both of these products use the ¼ HD LCD panels, and both render exceptionally sharp HDTV. The L300U however produces less pixelation at any given viewing distance than does the Z1. If you are planning to go with a 100" diagonal screen or greater, and plan to sit 12 feet or closer to the screen, the differences in pixelation/screendoor will become quite apparent and should be considered a major factor in choosing between these two products. If you are going with, say an 80" diagonal screen and plan to view from a distance of 12 feet or greater, the difference in pixelation is a non-issue and you should ignore it.

The L300U has a quieter fan than the Z1, but not by much. The Z1 is relatively quiet in low power mode as well. (By the way, please note that the earlier issue we found on the Z1 with the fan periodically kicking into high when in low power mode has been identified and resolved. After an adjustment was made by Sanyo, our PLV-Z1 has been running for hours with no problem at all).

When it comes to lumen output, believe it or not the PLV-Z1 is the brightest of the three machines after calibration. Though it is rated at only 700 ANSI lumens, we measured actual lumen output in high brightness mode at 646, and in low power/cinema mode it came in at 503. That is somewhat brighter than the after-calibration readings of either the L300U or the Sony HS10, both of which have higher lumen ratings as per manufacturer's specifications. (More reason to ignore published specifications!)

In terms of contrast, the L300U has a very subtle edge over the PLV-Z1 but they are very close. Both outperform the HS10 in contrast and shadow detail.

The L300U has DVI-D input, and the PLV-Z1 does not. Due to the fact that the L300U is not HDCP compatible, the advantage of DVI is to be realized by those who use an HTPC for DVD playback. This gives you the best possible picture, and you don't have that option on the PLV-Z1.

Again, lamp life may be a consideration. In low power mode the PLV-Z1 may deliver 3000 hours, compared to the L300U's possible 5000 hours. (Actual lamp life depends on user-controlled factors such as average on time, the ambient heat in the viewing room, the ability of the projector to dissipate heat within its immediate surroundings, etc.)

So is the L300U worth several hundred more than the PLV-Z1? It really comes down to two issues--screen size vs. viewing distance and whether you want to use a computer with DVI as a DVD source. If you want to stick with a regular DVD player, and you are not sitting too close to the screen, then save the money and go for the PLV-Z1. If you want to use a computer, or you want to sit in the range of 1.5x the screen width or closer to the screen, you will be better off investing the extra money to eliminate the pixelation that you'd otherwise have with the Z1.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Almost sounds like for your situation the Panny 300 would be the best bet. Are you using your PC as the DVD player?

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
Then you might want to look into the problems that people have had trying to get 1:1 pixel mapping with the 300.

RG

DaveLenhert

Stunt Coordinator
I have to disagree with most of the suggestions for the Panny and agree 100% with Rick for the Z1!!!

I was under the same dilemma, The L300U with DVI & smooth screen or Z1 with 1:1 pixel mapping and about $500 cheaper. The problem is that the highest quality interface for the L300U is NOT the DVI, but actually the component (according to the manual). Secondly, I watch DVDs exclusively on my PC (TheaterTek, USB-IRT w/girder, PowerStrip) and the lack of 1:1 pixel mapping on the L300U bothered me slightly, so I ended up getting the Z1. Now that I have the Z1 (3 months or so), the lack of 1:1 pixel mapping would drive me INSANE, trying to do ANYTHING on the desktop with blurry type is just DAMN annoying. I really haven't noticed the difference between 1:1 and non-1:1 when playing a DVD, so IF you ONLY do DVDs then the no 1:1 might not be an issue. Also, if you keep your screen to a reasonable size and don't sit closer then 2x the screen width, then screen door shouldn't be a problem. I have mine at 68" wide image and sit about 12' back (2.1x) and I LOVE it. Plus, the Z1 has the manual image shift and since the projector sits in front of me on a table, the image shift works really well instead of the digital keystone correction.

I think that you would probably be happier with either one, and the minor points of how well it will interface with your existing equipment and room dimensions would make more of a difference.

best of luck.....

Tom J. Davis

Second Unit
Someone over at avs discovered what alot of people think is 1:1 on the 300u or at least as close as you can get. I dragged my computer into the home theater and surfed the web for a little bit with it. The desktop was extremely sharp and I didn't have any problems reading the forum on an 8ft wide screen at 12ft away.

As Dave said though, their both outstanding projectors for the money. I do wish the 300u had the lens shift, that would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks