What's new

Panny DMR-E50 tips? (1 Viewer)

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, all,

Just bit the bullet and procured a Panasonic DMR-E50 component DVD recorder. I'll be picking it up Wednesday. I'm hoping to circumvent an ill-devised manual and solicit some tips on the forum.

Here's what I want to do:

1. Record from VHS to the unit. No editing necessary. What is the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R, if anything? Since I don't plan to muck with the discs again, I'd want one of these two, correct? What's the cheapest online resource for them?

2. Edit a "best of" disc from other tapes, culling from multiple sources. This is possible, right? I would need DVD-RW for this, correct? Again, cost?

Anything else I should know about this player?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jake,

You will want to use DVD-R unless you want re-writable and then you will want DVD-RAM. DVD-RAM for myself is used for recording tv shows that I don't plan to keep and sometimes I also use it if I want to edit on my computer. I also have a DVD-RAM computer deck.

Recording from VHS will be very simple. Just hook up the VHS deck into one of the inputs and you are ready.

You can "edit" using DVD-R by using the pause button. Simple edits are possible this way. The DVD-RAM won't be much easier to do edits but then if you make a mistake you do not waste a disc with DVD-RAM.

Reginald gave you a couple of good sources for blank discs, you might also check, http://www.meritline.com

Good luck,
Glenn

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, guys.

How long is the DVD-R disc? Do any of these come in a clamshell case, as opposed to a jewel case? Thanks.

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
You have the option of 1-hour, 2-hour, 4-hour, 6-hour or flexible, which is anywhere in between 1 and 6. You'll get good results at 1, 2 or flexible in that neighborhood. The clamshell cases have to be bought separately. You can probably download the manual at the Panasonic website, which will give you something to do while you're waiting.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
and buy the DVD-R blanks online from places like atdiscount and meritline. If you buy it from Best Buy, Radio Shack and/or such places, you're paying a major premium.

DVD-R media can be obtained as low as 70 cents each.

please note that at 6-hour mode, the recorder does NOT use MPEG2 anymore, but MPEG1 (VCD quality).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks