What's new

Panny 47" Replacement Lenticular Screen? (1 Viewer)

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
Seems I have a few scratches or nicks on my PT-47WX49's lenticular screen. Don't know how they got there (no pets or children in the house) but they're annoying the heck out of me. Can anyone make any recommendations for replacement of the screen? Any idea what something like that might cost? And is it possible to retrofit a protective screen onto the unit afterwards?

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
IIRC, a Toshiba ~40" lenticular screen costs around $180. So expect around $200-$300, I would say.

You can get protective screens that simply go in front of the screen, yes. I'm not sure exactally where to buy them, but a decent HT store (non mass-market) should be able to hook you up.

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
Thanks guys. I just ordered the protective screen from Panasonic, and the local TV repair shop is going to call back tomorrow with an estimate for replacing the lenticular screen. They do have to come out and verify that it is in fact the lenticular screen and not the inner screen that is scratched. What are the odds of that I wonder?

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Are you sure it's scratched and not just dirty?

The price I mentioned was just for the screen, not for getting a service-tech to do it for you, btw.

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
Well I tried cleaning off the marks with a Q-tip moistened with warm, slightly soapy water, with no effect. I examined the spots as closely as I could and they appear to be actual nicks in the ribbed lenticular screen. The TV repair shop will be coming out to confirm this and give me an estimate, which I realize will include their cost for the part plus labor. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
Well the repair guy said it's definitely a damaged lenticular screen. He ordered the part and will be coming back out to install it next week sometime.

Couple of questions for you guys: Can I install the protection screen I ordered from Panasonic myself, or should I pay the repair guy to do it? Does it just slap onto the front of the TV, or does the TV have to be opened?

And, is it possible that having my center channel speaker resting on top of the TV could have caused the lenticular screen damage somehow?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks