What's new

Panic Room SuperBit = weird new packaging (1 Viewer)

rodney wiley

Second Unit
:thumbsdown: Watched Panic Room this weekend and I have to agree the packaging is terrible. Had a very difficult time getting the disc off of the hub. I hope this isn't a new trend :thumbsdown:

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
OK, sorry to break your concentration and get just a little off-topic specifics, but could someone post a link so that I can be savvy to the different names of all the packaging types?
Thanks!:D

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Actually, I like the slim-ness to the Panic Room disc. If it were made of a durable plastic instead of cardboard, I would prefer this packaging over any other I have seen.

Why? Shelf space. These packages are perhaps 2/3 as thick as a keepcase (maybe less). When your collection grows to several hundred (or thousand), packaging like this can really pay off in terms of storage. I already have two large floor-standing racks full of DVD's, and I'm going to have to find room for a third rack soon.

As long as the disk packaging is wide enough to have a readable title on the spine, I'm happy. For me, Panic room can easily be read on my shelf... maybe not from across the room like the keepcases... but you have to approach the shelf to get the disc anyway...

-Scott

eric holm

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,

I completely agree. I would love to see this packaging become the standard.

As you pointed out, plastic as opposed to cardboard would be nice but for me it's not that big of a deal. Even my most watched movies are only viewed a dozen or so times.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I was very dissapointed in the packaging. It just has a cheap feel to it. The only upside to it is the artwork on the inside is nice, but you also have no insert. If they had come out with this packaging in the beginning it might have been fine, but I've come to like the keepcases better.

Yannick Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Just came back from my local Futureshop: the Panic Room Superbit is in a keepcase in Quebec (the cover is all in French :thumbsdown: ).
Looks like they broke the Superbit rules on this release (at least on the French Canadian version): they added a 2-channels French soundtrack on this version. I tough the Superbit collection was supposed to give only English soundtracks (dd and dts) so that the video quality was the best possible. Oddly enough, the new Superbit edition of the Mask of Zorro has only English soundtracks (like its supposed too).
The Grease Canadian release is indeed in a cheap packaging (like in the US), I saw it today on the shelf in a big store (they only had the "Fullscreen" version :angry: ). Looks like I'll have to wait until tomorrow for this one.
YM

Chris Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
-
I wish it was made out of plastic... paper cases tend to get beat up faster. It also looks weird sitting next to the other DVD's on my shelf.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Yannick, in Ontario it is in cardboard but in English only I believe (I didn't see a french track). So they probably did a seperate release for Quebec.

Now they still did a superbit no no. There is a DD 5.1 DTS and Dolby Surround Track on the disc and it seems to default to 2.0??

Well I didn't start it and try but when I went to the language menu it was highlighted (2.0 that is).

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
I got my copy of Grease in the mail yesterday, and the packaging sucks. Having that stupid sleeve is gonna wear the cover big time. Horrible. :thumbsdown:

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
Concerning the "Panic Room" packaging...and we thought the Snappers suck, these are the cheapest things I've seen so far. What's next, wrap em in toilet paper?

Andy Kim

Second Unit
I just rented Panic Room yesterday from Rogers in Toronto and it was in the Amaray case. It also has the French 2.0 track.
So there's 4 audio tracks on this release: DD5.1, DD2.0, DTS, DD2.0 FRENCH.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks