What's new

Panic Room SuperBit = weird new packaging (1 Viewer)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Just so you guys know: The Canadian version is in a regular amaray case.
I've seen Panic Room at HMV and it definitely wasn't packaged in an Amary case. It was in those very slim type cases that everyones been complaining about (rightfully so).

Gary Harris

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen both slim type & Amaray type. Seems to depend on the store. Blockbuster has the Amaray for sure here.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

Blockbuster often has a different packaging for rentals (see Moulin Rouge). Check their sell-through copies, I almost gaurantee you they are the slim cardboard design.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
A-ha! A silver lining shows itself! I'll simply pick up a previously-viewed copy at Blockbuster in a few weeks, which will both save me money and keep that horrendous case out of my collection! :D Plus, if a special edition shows up later, it won't hurt as bad to rebuy it.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Hmm.. The Panic Room case I saw at Rogers Video was in a regular case. So I guess it's rental places that have them like that?

Steve O

Stunt Coordinator
The packaging for Panic Room stinks (I saw it today at Best Buy on an end-cap display). It looks a lot to me like a studio trying to increase profits by providing an inferior physical product. I won't be buying this DVD unless I see a normal Amaray case.
Grease is also packaged this way.
YIKES! I hope that's not true. Otherwise, I'll have to wait on that purchase too! (and that's one that I was really looking forward to)

MattHR

Screenwriter
Grease is also packaged this way.
Yup. Grease is in the same packaging as Panic Room.
It's about the same quality as a greeting card. The next step will be the removal of the plastic disc tray, and the dvd will be just tucked into a little slot in the cardboard.
It'll happen.

Actually, it already has. Many screeners are sent to dealers in this "greeting card" packaging.

Just as the battle against the "snapper" seems to be winding down...a new one emerges! Such is the life of the dvd enthusiast.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That's how laserdiscs were sold, just in a cardboard sleeve.
I'm not so concerned about which packaging they use, I just wish they'd decide on one standard so that they'd store uniformly on shelves.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I saw it today at Best Buy. I actually liked the packaging. It's kind of cool and sleek looking to me :crazy:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Question re. P. Room/Grease ...... Is there going to be ANY way at all to tell the disc is even there when you add it to the middle of a crowded DVD shelf? Is it THAT thin? Any lettering on the spine whatsoever? (I hope there is.)
Geesh....what cheapskates!
The makers of these crappy-type throwaway cases have GOT to know (5 years into the DVD revolution) what kind of utter non-stop abuse they're going to be receiving from the anal-ites (myself included :)), such as 92% of the HTF membership, who despise flimsy, unorthodox packaging! They MUST have known this!
They certainly know about the "I hate snappers so much I wanna spew!" movement. And they think those same snapper-haters are going to embrace what is obviously a far worse paper-thin case!
Who do they put in charge of decisions like this, the head window-washer??! :thumbsdown:

MattHR

Screenwriter
Question re. P. Room/Grease ...... Is there going to be ANY way at all to tell the disc is even there when you add it to the middle of a crowded DVD shelf? Is it THAT thin? Any lettering on the spine whatsoever? (I hope there is.)
The spine for GREASE is exactly 3/8" wide. The title on the spine is the GREASE logo, and it measures only 1/2" long! It is the smallest title I've ever seen on a DVD's spine. However, the word "widescreen" on the spine measures 1 3/4" long. Looks awkward to me. It would've looked better to have just the title, given the slim spine.
Even so, they managed to get the following crammed onto the narrow spine: Paramount logo, photo of front-cover art, widescreen label, GREASE logo, Closed-caption logo, catalog number and DVD logo.

With this being one of the few dual-ratio releases from Paramount, I found it interesting that I found the word "widescreen" listed on the packaging in 8 different places! They must really want the consumer to know which version they're buying. Maybe a little over-kill?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I think Saturday Night Fever has the same cheapo packaging...
Fearing the answer, I hesitated to ask about the SNF case. :angry:
Although, Amazon claims SNF is a keepcase. But they've been incorrect many times before.
This is odd. This multi-pack gives one the impression these are all in keepcases. A bit misleading on the packaging indeed. :frowning:

Stephen Fagan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen Fagan
I looked at the Panic packaging yesterday at Best Buy....I could barely read the title on the spine when I had it in my hand, so I assume it'd be near impossible on a crowded shelf.
If I didn't know about the packaging from the single release, the box set would confirm that it was a keepcase, since all the movies appear to have the same case

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks