Panic Room SuperBit = weird new packaging

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Pelham, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

I just saw the new Panic Room SuperBit due out this Tues and noticed an interesting new packaging I've never seen on a major DVD release before.

It appears to be a fold out digipak with a slipcover (similar to Fight Club, Pulp Fiction SE, Unbreakable, etc), only difference is it's about 1/3 as thick. It's a very very thin, flat looking case, even thinner than a CD-jewel case. It would take two or three of them to equal the thickness of a normal keepcase. I'm not sure if I like the design, but it is original.

2. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

It sounds like the new Alpha "NexCase" inside a cardboard sleeve. I've seen a prototype and I don't like it. It's very thin, and it's "sealed" with a plastic clip that must be cut with a knife or scissors to open. The benefits are the slim size, and the added retail security from tampering or theft. I've been wondering when one of the major studios would begin to use this new case.

3. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

Sounds like a thinner version of the X-Men DVD packaging...

4. Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad Supporting Actor

5. Steven_Ma

Steven_Ma Agent

I personally just wish they would all use a regular plastick case. God all these diffrent kinds of casses annoy me can't they just make them all amaray casses for single dvd's and have the thick kind ( id4 & die hard etc.) for 2 disk sets. I like all my casses to line up perfectly on my dvd rack.I can see diffrent kinds for season box sets and 3-4disk dvd's but they are not the norm.

6. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

a slim dvd to boot [​IMG]

7. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Maybe, although it's A LOT slimmer than the X-Men case, and it uses a different, very thin cardboard (not that puffy blue/silver kind from X-Men). It almost has a plastic look and feel to it, although I didn't see one without the shrink wrap. I could easily pick up 14-15 of them at a time with one hand (holding by the spines).

8. Craig Sherman

Craig Sherman Stunt Coordinator

Are you sure it is cardboard and not plastic? Consider, if you will, the Universal Ultimate Editions, which use very thin plastic, upon which is glued the ever-more-popular Digipack tray. Is that ruled out?

Back on my meds,

CS

9. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Great. Just great. I absolutly hated the Xmen case.
    *sigh*
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

I looked pretty closely and I could swear it was a very thin cardboard. And the case is much slimmer than the Universal Ultimate Editions.

11. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

If it isn't too obtrusive-such as trying to line a snapper up along side a keepcase-I won't mind it much. I have yet to run into a durability issue with any DVD I have so that, right now, isn't something that worries me.

Bruce

12. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

I don't like this thing either, but it looks like it might become popular with studios: Grease uses a VERY similar case as well...

13. chris larralde

chris larralde Stunt Coordinator

It's new panic packaging.

14. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    Yeah, the Grease packaging is the same. I don't like it at all. It gives it a cheap look.
    Jeff

15. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

No problem here since I'm waiting on the SE of this film anyway.

I wonder what that package will be? I assume 2 discs which would have to make it wider than this version, one would think.

16. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

It is definitely mostly cardboard. The only thing plastic is the sheet that actually holds the disc itself..and that appears to be attached to the cardboard by 8 shots of glue.

17. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Hey Seth, any word on when the SE is due out? I really liked this film and if it's too long (like a year or more) I just might buy this and then give it as a hand-me-down later when the SE comes out. Of course if it's only 3 months away I can wait...

18. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Any further info on the SE??

Thank you.

19. JakeR

JakeR Stunt Coordinator

I purchased this with gritted teeth. I like Fincher, and I don't even mind the lack of extras, but that packaging is atrocious! It makes me feel as though I'm buying a CD single or something, not a feature film for $20 bucks.

Jeez, is it so much to ask that a $20 bill gets me a little bit of a display spine for my shelf? If every disc came like this, I'd only need one shelf for a few thousand dollars worth of expense.

Just another studio gouging technique.

20. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell