What's new

Panasonic TH42PWD5UY vs TH42PWD7UY (1 Viewer)

RussellTodd

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between these 2 models. I know that on the 5UY is retail and the 7UY is commercial and I think that you cannot add speakers to the 7UY. But what are the other differences if any? Also where can I found the specifiations for a table mount for these things. I am trying to to put one these in front of some built in shelfs in the wall. So I have to do a table mount but the portion of the table that this will sit on is only 6in. wide. I would like to know all the specs before I order since I can't afford to buy these from a local store and having to purchase online.

Thanks

Lloyd E

Auditioning
The 7UY is the 7th generation of that model. The 5uy is not a retail model, both are commercial versions. The table stands are about 12" deep.

The 7 has a longer life (60,000 hours), less resistance to burn-in (crt-like) and ability to add HDMI (and DVI) boards.

Lloyd

Kin

Agent
Hi Kevin,
Well, LCD vs Plasma is a fairly easy one. LCDs are fairly restrictive as far as size goes on the larger end, and Plasma is fairly restrictive on the smaller end. What size were you thinking?
As far as ED vs HD, what were you planning on viewing most frequently?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Kin- I could live with 37 - 42".

Viewing material: that, I don't know. :) I don't know if I really care about the video quality of Everyone Loves Raymond, or Fear Factor. ;) But I do care a lot about DVD. And I don't know if I'll ever want to spring for HD-DVD, BluRay, or what is going to happen with HDTV. (Although I do realize that HDTV is coming, but I still have my suspicions about the true quality of that "HDTV" signal from cable and dish companies.)

That's why I'm kind of stuck right now. I don't really want to spend more than $2500 or so, and I know I can't get a good HDTV for that, but I could probably do OK for an EDTV, but yet the technology is still moving so fast for plamsa, that do I want to put a stake in the ground now or wait a little while longer?

Kin

Agent
RussellTodd,
Your best bet would be to wall mount the plasma, if possible. You would also need some sort of tuner. What are you using for an input (cable, satellite, or antenna)?

Kevin,
I would say go for a Pannasonic plasma. The TH-4PWD7UY is right what you are looking for. It is an ED model, but it handles HD very nicely.

[email protected]
1(888)286-5353 Ext 522

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Panasonic is near the top of my list. I heard they might have new models coming out very soon?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks