What's new

Panasonic SA-HE200 speaker setup question. (1 Viewer)

Mike Parr

Auditioning
I recently purchased a SA-HE200 and was setting up the speakers last night. I don't see any way to individually set the levels of the two front speakers. The center, right rear, left rear and subwoofer channels all have individual adjustable levels but I didn't see any adjustments for the two fronts. The manual states that all of the other channels should be set to the levels of the two front channels. My sound meter sees a higher level of sound coming from the right front side - how do I set the two fronts correctly? Any suggestions?

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
If ths is truly the case, no adjustment for volume of front R & L.

If it has a "balance control" you could try to use that to bring the Right main speaker level down to match the left, then set the rest of the channels to match..

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I saw the exact same thing...slightly higher levels from the right speaker. Geoff's got the answer...adjusting the balance control a touch solves the problem.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
You might also want to take a closer look at how your speakers are placed.

BrianHo

Agent
I also have a Panny 200. How do you like yours? What speakers you using? I am using JBL Studio Series Center and their 312 towers. I like mine especially for movies. Are you using the digital hookup for your DVD player? I find that it makes a difference.

Brian

Mike Parr

Auditioning
Thanks All,

I looked into the balance thing but I thought that this was a cheesy way of solving the problem. I guess that I was right, it is a cheesy way of solving it and the only way. Thanks Geoff,

Chu Gai,
The speakers are placed O.K. it's my chair that is the problem :wink: it is placed nearly in front of the right speaker - that is why I want to make the adjustments.

BrianHo,
I have the Fluance SX-HTB speaker set and I added a Sony SA-WM500 Sub-Woofer. It sounds pretty good so far. This is my "second" HT system, it is in the basement and I bought it primarily for the kids to watch movies on while the adults can stay upstairs and play cards, visit, play movies that would not be appropriate for children under 13 to watch, etc. This system by no means competes with the Marantz/Paradigm system that is upstairs but it sounds pretty good. The downfall of this system is the Fluance speakers not the Panasonic receiver, the receiver I think is a pretty strong HT candidate. The Fluance speakers sound kind of like my old speakers from the early 80's - good but not great. They have paper cones and just don't really have the quick/crisp/clear response of the newer technology speaker designs. IMHO - FWIW.

As far as th DVD player goes I am using the digital optical cable interconnect - that was all that was avaiable on my DVD player. I was hoping for a digital coax connection because I think that it is a better connection solution but I think that the optical connection is working great so far.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
It's not really cheesy at all as you achieve exactly the same result.

I'm driving an Infinity system comprised of Interlude 60's, a 36c center channel and a pair a Entra Point Five surrounds. I'm currently using the digital output from a Panasonic DVD-F85 for audio, but I haven't hooked up the analog audio to compare it just yet. I run it in 'HQ' sound mode and with Re-Master 1 engaged.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Mike: exactly HOW much of a level difference is there between the fronts and everything else? Can you HEAR this difference or is it just the meter that says so? If it's the meter, then don't worry about it.

And anyway, unless you sit in the exact same spot, and with nobody next to you, the level will be different anyway. IMO, this is why using meters only causes needless worry & wasted time.

The fronts aren't adjustable because they are the system's "reference" speakers, i.e., there has to be a loudness starting point somewhere and the fronts are it.

And that possibility about the speaker's location is a good idea too. If this turns out to be true, use the balance control, if you can't move the speaker.

I found out years ago obsessing over tiny--but ultimately irrelevant--sonic details ruined my enjoyment of listening to music. So I stopped obsessing and the enjoyment returned. And I've carried this philopsophy over to watching movies.

So have FUN with your HT rig!

LJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks