What's new

Panasonic RP82--One Player to Rule Them All! (1 Viewer)

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Oh my....there is so much more to this player I didn't even know existed! Thanks DougR.
Sadly, the player was already on Normal and Auto1. I was hoping the picture could get even better. :)
Aaron

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Josh,
The RP82's F deinterlacer has one true competitor - the chip used in the Denon 3800 and some other players like the Camelot Roundtable. Some consider the Denon's/Roundtable's deinterlacer chip as superior to the F deinterlacer for film (but not video ...... Faroudja is king on that).
I doubt that the RP82's [film] images appear superior to the Denon's when viewed on screens over some medium-large size .... such as perhaps 50" on up (my case - 58" Pio Elite). The 3800 image's are "stunning" on my system and I can in fact make them as sharp or soft as I prefer. The 3800, IMHO, does NOT put out inherently soft images like the earlier Denon 2800 supposedly did. The RP82 of course does not compete with the 3800 on DVD-A sound - which I use for classical music.
The Denon's "other video/audio stuff" over and above the RP82's video-based material capability is what I paid for. However, in all fairness to the RP82, my DVD player short list last summer did finally boil down to this decision: "The RP82 and replace next year, or the 3800 and keep at least 3 years." :)

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Pardon my ignorance, but what's the definition of "video" and "film"?

I have a few IMAX dvd's that don't look quite as good as I thought they would with this player. Should I be changing the mode for these types of discs?

Thanks!
Aaron

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
I sold ALL of my vintage Star Wars and GI JOE figures and bought a Hitachi 43inch HDTV ready set and for Christmas I told my wife I dint care if I got anything other then the RP-82!!. I just wounder why online is the only place I could find it! My wife dosent like WS too much so I had to go with the 4:3 set insted of the wounderfull,wounderfull WS.Plus the wide screen was $700 more.Cant win them all ,I guess.ANyway Im excited to get my hads on a RP-82!!
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif
:wink:

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I completely agree with you Phil Nichols. I'm listening to DVD-A since over a year now, own over 25 titles. For me, DVD-A quality playback was a priority. The Denon DVD-3800 is quite an achievement in this domain. So telling people the RP82 can compete with it is a little extreme, in my own opinion. PQ wise, I've seen the RP82 in action, and for the price, it's definitely the best buy out there.
But it's not the best one out there. I've compare both. The details and resolution is incredible on the DVD-3800. For picture, it is really good. But if you want DVD-A in full glory, then you have to go deeper in the pocket.
Just a little different perspective here. I had to "defend" my 3800, because the first poster did compare it to the RP82...
The RP82 could be compare to Sauron, but the Denon DVD-3800 is Morgoth... Sauron made the ring, but Morgoth made Sauron...:D (little analogy to the title of the 1st posts...)

MikeSRC

Second Unit
Having followed Phil's long-time search for his first DVD player, and having compared the two players myself, I completely agree with his assessment of the two, but I went with the alternative decision, and bought the RP-82. In my evaluation, I planned on getting a new player in a year or so, one with the new Faroudja chip that incorporates scaling (possibly the replacement for the venerable Panasonic RP-91). Also, for the type of music listening I do the most of (rock and jazz), the audio difference between the two players was not enough to tip the scale considering the price difference.
There is no question in my mind that the Denon is superior in it's DVD-A reproduction, but the format is still in its infancy, so I'm looking to upgrade to something in a year to carry me over until HD-DVD arrives.
Having compared a Denon 2800 sometime ago, and having an Iscan Pro that uses the same SI chip as the 2800 (Si503), I've never liked it's soft image on DVDs (although with cable or satellite sources through the Iscan it's a plus). As Phil mentions, the 3800 with the newer Si504 chip has an excellent picture, incorporating the best of the 503 chip and improving on the rest. Once the chroma bug fix is employed, it has a great picture with all sources. If I was inclined to spend that much for a DVD player today, it would be the one I'd get. Just couldn't get past paying 5 times the price of the RP-82 though.
YMMV. :)

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
I'm sure the Denon unit is a superior choice for DVD-A. I'll have to check out its video performance close up against the 82 as well as a HTPC.

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit
Josh, that's a good point. I would love to hear an opinion of someone comparing the RP-82 against a HTPC. Anyone?

Randy

Rodon

Second Unit
So would the Denon 1600 and RP82 be competitors? Anyone own both and can compare them - or know enough about the two models to compare them?

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit
"So would the Denon 1600 and RP82 be competitors? Anyone own both and can compare them - or know enough about the two models to compare them?"

Stacy Spears over at the AVS said they were the same machine. Not sure if that was the video section only.

Randy

MikeSRC

Second Unit
The video sections of the RP-82 and the Denon 1600 are the same. The audio section of the Denon uses different DACs than the RP-82.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
"So would the Denon 1600 and RP82 be competitors? Anyone own both and can compare them - or know enough about the two models to compare them?"
Randy,

IMHO, the PQ on the RP-82 is equal to or better then the 1600 series Denon. I purchased the Denon at your local Tweeter in Whitehall and the cost was $499. The cost of the RP-82 online was like $200 so there was a difference of $300.

I would have to say the DVD-A output on the Denon is better then the RP-82. Redbook, they are pretty close, but the nod goes to the Denon. The question is, if you want the entire package, then maybe the 1600 would be a better choice if you think that aspect is worth the extra $300.

I have a dedicated 555ES, so audio is not an issue with me in this situation. Perhaps when Denon gets their act together with the 3800 series, I'll move to that player.

The RP-82 is a little gem for the cost/performance and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a budget player that provides a great ROI.

Thanks to all for their feedback on this fine little player.

Charles

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
I have a 32" 16:9 Television, with no component inputs and/or progressive support. I use S-Video to connect from the player to the television via the receiver (Denon AVR5800). Since Progressive is a non issue for me right now, my question is, how would you rate the Panasonic RP82 in terms of picture quality when using only the Interlaced S-Video output? What other players would you compare it with? I have in the past owned the Sony S7000 and the S7700, both of which I found to have a very satisfying (read great) picture. Also how would you rate the RP82 in terms of sound quality for DVD movies using the coaxial output and the audio CD sound quality using the optical output. By the way I use the coaxial output to connect to the receiver for DVD Movies/Music and I use the optical output to connect to the receiver for Audio CDs. This way I just switch the receiver to the CD input for Audio CDs and switch to the DVD input for DVDs, this allows me to have different settings (Surround paramaters, tonal settings etc.) for Audio CD and DVDs without having to change them each time. Please restrict your comments to Audio CD quality and Interlaced DVD output, although comments related to the DVD Audio quality will also be welcome.

Thanks,
Sanjay
Member since 1997

Darko

Stunt Coordinator
Forgetting about DVD-A on the RP82, would it be worthwhile upgrading from a Panasonic RP56? DVD-A isn't that big a priority right now, so I'm just concerned with the video.
Or would I be better off waiting for a unit that incorporates the new Faroudja FLI2300 series of chips?

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Darko,

At this late in the game, I would wait for the FLI2300 based units to street. They should begin arriving late next month sometime, so the wait will be short. If you can't wait, then I would say go with the RP-82 if picture quality is your only concern and not analog audio for Cd and DVD-A.

Reg

Rodon

Second Unit
December releases or January releases? Do we know the new products and their model numbers at all?

I may be looking for a new player in the future.

Darko

Stunt Coordinator
Rodon;
I know that Samsung is coming out with the HD1000, which is based on the new fli2300 chip, and apparently upconverts 480P to 1080i and/or 720p. However, I have no idea as to pricing.
My main concern was whether the new(?) RP82 would be a worthwhile upgrade to the RP56. If there is an improvement in the video performance it may be worthwhile, after all, one can never have too many DVD players:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks