Panasonic Plasma Anti-glare vs. Anti-reflective Coating

Discussion in 'Displays' started by blueblazer22x, Apr 3, 2008.

1. blueblazer22x

blueblazer22x Auditioning

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these two different screen coatings.

I've read that some prefer the anti-glare coating found on most 2007 Panasonic plasmas to the new anti-reflective coating found on the 2008 models (as per CNET and some Amazon customer reviews).

I'm specifically considering buying a 50PZ77U (2007 anti-glare) or a 46PZ85U (2008 anti-reflective). These models are comparable in price on Amazon, with the newer 2008 model having a better feature set and better specs overall. However, if the 2007 anti-glare screens are far superior, I would most likely go with the older model.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    generally speaking, always buy newer

3. plasmasown

plasmasown Auditioning

They say the 2008 anti-reflective is a little bit better with color accuracy but it is very minimal. It really comes down to user preference. Visit your local Bestbuy and see for yourself which one you like. I personally like the anti-glare because it looks more glossy and vibrant. The colors look amazing.

4. GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB Second Unit

G. Alan Brown
    This article includes a good description from NIST of how anti-glare/reflection screen coatings affect image quality: http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ive.htm .

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
    G. Alan Brown, President
    CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"