What's new

Panasonic Launches BD-ROM Authoring Service in the US (MPEG-4) (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Looks like things are starting to roll. Now all we need to see is some actual product released that will live up to the hype. The next few months could prove to be very interesting.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
That's nice to hear.

Though I'm curious why they didn't mention VC-1. One would hope that an authoring service would offer both advanced codes as options (in addition to MPEG-2).

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Don’t forget that you need two separate licenses for VC-1 and MPEG4. This in addition to making the toolkit harder to develop, maintain and debug.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I hear a lot about Microsoft and VC-1 licensing but not too much about MPEG4. So I did a little research, and for those interested in MPEG4 licensing, I found the following via wikipedia.org

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Sure. But still, I would think a professional authoring service would/should be able to offer whatever a potential customer wants to use. If there are three codecs that are part of HD DVD and BD, then a professional authoring service should be able to use all three.

Having said that, if AVC performs as well as VC-1 has, and has the potential to continue to improve (as Microsoft's Amir says VC-1 can) then it's no big deal for us either way.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Just a thought, but since there a HD-DVD authoring kit already exists, this company may be targeting a niche that is not yet filled. In that case, they would be correct in spending all of their resource on what is not available anywhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks