What's new

Panasonic DVD-S35 Progressive scan DVD player. (1 Viewer)

AlbertH

Stunt Coordinator
how do i turn the progressive scan on this darn thing on! I tried going into the menu and enabling progressive scan but the samsung dlp i had it connected to wouldn't kick it into progressive mode as i tried goin to component input 2 or 3 (480p up and only) and it didn't work. I couldnt find a button on the remote to turn it on! HELP!

Morlan Liu

Stunt Coordinator
Have any of you S35 owners tried different media? DVD-R/W, CD-R/W? VCD/SVCD? I'm thinking of purchasing one of these but need to know if it will support these features, especially SVCD's. Thanks for your help!

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I don't think there is a screensaver, as they say the auto-power off 'does the same thing', which is bullshit.

Frank_Ber

Agent
I opened up one and Panasonic is using their own one-chip solution for the S35, and presumably all the new players since the chip does DVD-A as well. The chip is MN2DS0002AP.
So this player can play DVD-A? I don't see it in the specs. Maybe later models will.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
IIRC, the all-in-one chip has DVD-A capability built-in, but whether a player is designed to use it is another story. Sounds like they are just trying to streamline their design and manufacturing w/ this.

It's kinda like how Intel produces many of their various CPU models from just one or two designs each year and just enabling/disabling certain things and using different fabrication processes to yield various clock speeds w/ different cache sizes, etc.

_Man_

MikeSRC

Second Unit
Frank -
The S55 ($129) and the 5-disk changer F85 ($149) will have DVD-A playback.

Albert -
Progressive scan has to be enabled in both the Setup menu and also the Display (the one that comes up on the top of the screen) menu.

Ray -
Slow motion playback was about the same as other players. Nothing to write home about. I didn't try it with CDs.

Morlan -
It played the one SVCD I tried.

Ted -
It does have some chroma "blockiness" but it's not the chroma bug. The bug shows up as dark streaks across the area. According to Don Munsil's comments on certain other Pannys, it's due to their upsampling filtering.

Jason Pugh

Agent
In case you want to read my problems with this player you can check here Problems with Avia & S35

I don't know all of the technical terms but basically it had a horrible problem doing the Avia needle test (think that is what the sharpness test is called) when in prog scan. I've ordered a Denon 1600 and hope that I'll be pleased. It appears that all the Panasonics are ditching the better chipset that was in many of their previous models (and in the Denon players as well) for the cheap all in one chipset. I have a Pioneer Elite HDTV which does the prog scan pretty good itself so I wanted to make sure this was a step up for me in PQ. For $100 I would recommend this DVD player to anyone who can give a little on the video performance of the player. On my 58" the odd shimmering and shaky lettering in menus and sometimes during playback bugged the heck out of me. It could be that I got a unit with a problem. Anyway, I just figured I would go with the Denon before they were sold out like most of the good Panasonic models.

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
Does this player have a "time remaining" feature that allows you to display how much time the DVD has left to run on screen?

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
i just bought this dvd player at circuit city for $99 for my parents for there annivesary. they will prob rarely use it so i did not need to get a real good player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks